Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 10:03 PM

424 posts, read 2,340,564 times

Advertisements

So we recently bought a house, our first, and I enjoyed the process enough that I have kept watching the mls a bit and seeing the for-sale signs go up and down around town, as well as reading your posts on here, etc. There is one realtor in this town that's really been bugging me this whole time. He has a TON of listings (for the small area anyway) but he and his associate almost NEVER include any photos on their listings. The descriptions are usually something like "3 bd 1 bth, owner wants cashed out" and that's it. these are on the mls. His website has no listings on it at all, it's just a page with his phone number. His brokerage's page in the local "homeguide" mag is just words, no photos. It's the only one like that. I take it he does this so you HAVE to call him and look at a house, you can't cross it off your list just from the info/photos on the listing? Usually I'd just move on to a different realtor/listing where I HAVE seen a photo first that sparked my interest. His houses do seem to sell, at least as much as any others and perhaps more. Maybe it just seems like more because he has so many listings. Anyhow, since it seems like people are saying part of the realtor's job is to market your house, has anybody ever heard of a strategy like this guy's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 10:19 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,980,652 times
If he positions the house to sell it will. Even though there are no photos, if he stages it and prices it right, it sells. He may not be an A+ at marketing, but positioning the house to sell is more important in my opinion. Of course, marketing is important, but positioning is just more important.

Curious, is he an older agent? I'm wondering if he markets that way for a reason, or if technology has passed him by.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:03 PM

111 posts, read 251,609 times
Default Old geezers in real estate . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
If he positions the house to sell it will. Even though there are no photos, if he stages it and prices it right, it sells. He may not be an A+ at marketing, but positioning the house to sell is more important in my opinion. Of course, marketing is important, but positioning is just more important.
Curious, is he an older agent? I'm wondering if he markets that way for a reason, or if technology has passed him by.
BH - I think, after 30+ years of 'Realtoring' in Florida, I qualify as an 'older agent' but I can still give the next generation (or two) a good run-for-their-money.
Anyway, there could be another reason for the 'brevity' of the data shown in MLS by this 'agent'. You see it all the time from Realtors who specialize in institutional listings (foreclsures, REO's etc). Often, they are miles away from the subject property, and they rely on info from the Owner/Lender, the Property Card and previous MLS Data Sheets. There are no photos because they don't inspect the property either and hire a 'service' to put up the 'Fior Sale' sign and change the locks.
They do make a lot of sales because their listings tend to be priced below market value . . .

Old 04-30-2010, 11:17 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,980,652 times
EZ, it very well could be REO's. That would also explain the amount of listings and the sales.

You may be tech savvy, but many older agents are not. Heck, I'm techy for an agent and I'm in my early 30's, but I can't touch the kids in their late teens/early 20's for technology. Remember, some of these kids have never even heard the sound of a modem connecting on dial-up.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:59 PM

I don't know his age, but I'm guessing he's middle aged. I drive by his office every day to take my kid to school nearby, and I see two different middle aged guys going in and out, I am guessing that one of them is him and the other is his associate.

This is a small town, there's no way he is "miles from the property" and cant go over there and inspect it. I think he and/or his associate take the photos themselves of the outside of the house. They take them crooked too

I think some of his listings are overpriced. Others I guess are not, because they sell. I see this with most of the agencies in town though, they all seem to have some rediculous listings. They sell the good priced ones and the other ones sit there for a while.

I'm not sure what you mean by "positioning," can you explain?

I'm wondering since it is a smaller town if he either has a great reputation that I don't know about because I'm new, or maybe he just gets people to call him because his signs are everywhere and maybe he's really nice so people decide to list with him? Who knows?

Old 05-01-2010, 07:07 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,741,921 times
Why don't you call and ask him, then tell us what he said.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
Why don't you call and ask him, then tell us what he said.
Good idea, maybe I'll do that. I was just wondering if other agents were familiar with this method and I was just being ignorant in questioning his lack of pictures, etc.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:35 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,741,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campmom123 View Post
Good idea, maybe I'll do that. I was just wondering if other agents were familiar with this method and I was just being ignorant in questioning his lack of pictures, etc.
Well I am curious to know. He may already have a lot of connections and doesn't need a lot of marketing. But we don't have a crystal ball here.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:40 PM

I've heard you guys use the crystal ball line before. I was seriously asking if other agents did things this way. Apparently not, so you've answered my question. If I find anything out about this guy, I'll let you know. I do know from experience that he doesn't allow buyers agents, the buyer's agent becomes his sub/dual agent. So, because of his crappy crooked photos and that as well, I plan to avoid his listings and NOT recommend him to people.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:26 PM

111 posts, read 251,609 times
Default Pics or no pics - That is the question . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by campmom123 View Post
1-) I think he and/or his associate take the photos themselves of the outside of the house.
2-) They sell the good priced ones and the other ones sit there for a while.
Maybe he just gets people to call him because his signs are everywhere and maybe he's really nice so people decide to list with him? Who knows?
1-) I thought you had said his listings don't include photos - no?
2-) Some Realtors strategy is based on getting the maximum number of signs displayed all over town - regardless of the 'sellability' of those properties. Reasoning that they generate calls from potential buyers who they can work with. Often referred to as 'bait & switch'. . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate