Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 02:41 PM

718 posts, read 2,078,997 times

Advertisements

What do you mean you just "received" your lockbox? Did not your agent hand deliver it and affix it? Sounds odd to me. Many times I have had to search for something secure...maybe a reachable light fixture...something secure. What happened? Did it just get "dropped off".
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 06:23 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,104,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I have had trouble getting some of them open just from being jammed. I can imagine what it would be like trying to break into one. By the time they get it open the locks have been changed, the house is sold and there is a new president in the White House.

If someone wants in a house that bad they are getting in anyway but might as well not make it easy on them. The OP has the box secured now so all is right in the world.

Thanks, Mike. I really had little idea how they work. I've only seen one once as most of the houses we looked at the realtor had the key with him/her.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:12 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,613,521 times
Why not just install a more conventional door knob temporarily while the house is on the market?

Old 06-10-2010, 09:58 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,577,892 times
You know, I was biting my tongue, but can't resist. What happened to the agent's common sense?

Old 06-10-2010, 10:06 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,808,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I have a related question - this lockbox is not secured to the property so anyone can simply walk off with it? Take it home, to a well-stocked garage and open it, remove the key, and return to the property with key, etc............

??????
They could, but if someone was that intent on breaking in they would just smash a window or kick the door in

Old 08-06-2019, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 518 times
This is an old thread, but prior to the newer Supra boxes, (blue-gray) supra cared enough to make a small adapter to affix their boxes to a lever handle. It was a hard Nylon or resin collar that was protected from prying within the shackle loop. When the newer model box came out, they ignored this need.

Old 08-06-2019, 10:27 AM

14,474 posts, read 12,095,136 times
If there is any other place near the door to secure it, we usually opt to NOT put it on the door because they can interfere with the doorknob and they can really mark up the door.

FWIW, reading above... I don't like the idea of putting them on gas or water mains... I don't like to encourage people to pull or tug on either one of those.

A chain or bicycle lock on a railing or post is sometimes a good option.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:36 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,739,307 times
Another reason for not placing the lockbox on the side of the house...it forces the showing agent to walk through the yard, often through bushes and mulch here, and the agent can track dirt into the house. And, if it is raining, now the agent has wet shoes (and probably a bad attitude...lol).

Old 08-06-2019, 11:51 AM

14,474 posts, read 12,095,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Another reason for not placing the lockbox on the side of the house...it forces the showing agent to walk through the yard, often through bushes and mulch here, and the agent can track dirt into the house. And, if it is raining, now the agent has wet shoes (and probably a bad attitude...lol).

Oh come on... we love a treasure hunt to find the box on the property!

Old 08-06-2019, 01:15 PM

6,474 posts, read 10,341,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Oh come on... we love a treasure hunt to find the box on the property!
Reminds me of the GPS Geocaching craze a few years ago. Make it a little fun !!

On more than one occasion I found myself calling the listing agent while looking for the lockbox when it wasn't hanging on the door knob. It can be a little frustrating to see "Supra box" in the listing notes and then not being able to find it, especially when you have a client waiting to get in to see the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate