Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 06:45 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,905,476 times

Advertisements

Daughter's bday is Saturday. Approx 40-50 guests.

Plan was to take 3 boxes of ghirardelli chocolate brownies and tweek the recipe to make a cake out of it. From what I understand that means upping the eggs and oil. 3 boxes makes about 45 servings.

If I bake one box for 40 minutes, how long do I bake 3 boxes for? We were at party city and bought an all-purpose pan that said it was good for baking/roasting, but its foil. I am worried about using it, should I go find a huge glass one instead? If one box needs an 8x8 how big for 3 boxes?

After I make that one, we slip it out of the pan (carefully) then do the same thing over, 3 boxes of ghirardelli brownies made into a cake by upping eggs and oil from what I have read.

Once both cool, cover first in icing, then stack them and cover the top with icing as well.

Does this seem too much, I am worried that they might break when removing. Should I def use glass? Should I just make one huge one instead to minimize the risk of breaking? How long should I bake if making 3 or 6 boxes at a time. As you can see I have many questions . Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 07:09 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,816,957 times
You know, I've never tried making a cake out of brownie mix. But I would use a glass pan instead of the foil one for sure. It would bake much more evenly and be easier to handle.

My worry with the brownie mix would be the heavy batter. If you are able to find a good way to address that (maybe a good online recipe?) then I would go for it!

Old 09-23-2010, 07:14 AM

Thanks, I was worrying about the foil.
This is for a teenager, so brownie cake is what she wanted. She doesnt like plain choc/vanilla/etc cakes, she is pretty much a huge foodie.

I dont know if the brownies will be a cake, but I found that people suggest adding extra eggs/oil to the brownie to make cake like brownies if that makes sense, as opposed to fudgy brownies.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:24 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,816,957 times
I think that would be a great cake! I did something similar once but I cut up the brownies and put whipped cream between the layers, sort of like a trifle. It turned out great.

In that case, I would make your cake one layer and try baking the mixes together. The baking time would be a bit tricky. I would probably add about 5 minutes for each additional mix you use, but check it often in the oven to see when the top springs back to tell you if it's done yet.

It probably wouldn't hurt to either do the cake a day ahead or keep extra boxes of the brownie mix on hand in case the cake doesn't turn out the first time. Baking is funny like that- you just never know!

Old 09-23-2010, 08:04 AM

Thanks highway

Why do you think I should make it one layer instead of 2? To minimize the risk of it breaking when I take it out and stacking 2 layers? I'm worried about throwing together 6 boxes of brownie mix all at the same time lol.

What if I line the glass pan with waxed paper to help with removing for the layers? Never tried it so not sure. And yes, I am definitely making this a day before!!!

My other idea is just to make 3 boxes, then 3 more boxes and have them side by side when serving, since there will be 45-50 teens. But that doesnt look as nice as one big cake, though it would be easier as well. Now daughter wants ice cream too which worries me because its still 90 here, it might melt unless we scoop it pretty fast.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:10 AM

PS thanks for the tip to add 5 minutes to each additional box, I was planning on adding 20 LOL.

I will definitely have some toothpicks on hand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes