Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2009, 02:57 PM

167 posts, read 518,074 times

Advertisements

I can make a lot of things -- but not Buttermilk Baking Powder Biscuits.

I don't know why I'm having so much trouble. They either don't rise, or they don't taste good.

Does anyone have a fail-proof recipe I could try? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 03:01 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
Wow. I have not made those in such a long time. I used to use nothing but White Lily flour, I know that much.

I am looking forward to the replies. Good Luck!

Old 08-31-2009, 03:02 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
Oh, there used to be a good recipe on the White Lily package.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:42 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,745,619 times
Regarding your biscuits....these thoughts come to mind. Are you using real buttermilk or substituing sour milk? This can make a difference when rising. I really don't think the buttermilk which is on the market these days is as good as it used to be....too much butterfat is removed.

Another thought is you might be putting a little too much flour in.....or you could be kneading it too much....a little kneading improves the texture by developing the layers in a biscuit...too much kneading makes them tough and destroys the layers.

I used to make my grandma's recipe for buttermilk biscuits but I switched to an Angel Biscuit recipe that a friend's mother gave me years ago. It contains all types of leavening agents so they are really fluffy. Here it is if you think you might want to try it.

Angel Biscuits

1 pkg dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup shorteing
1 cup buttermilk

Dissolve the yeast in warm water and set aside. Mix the dry ingredients in the order given, then "cut" in the shortening as you normally would do for biscuits (use two knives or a pastry blender) . Stir in the buttermilk, also the yeast/water mixture. Blend thoroughly. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured board and knead lightly. Roll and cut with a biscuit cutter and place on a greased pan. Let the biscuits rise slightly (if the dough is cold it will take a little longer for them to rise than when first mixed - note....you can refrigerate part of the dough until later) Bake in a 400 oven until lightly browned....12 to 15 minutes. Enjoy! Especially good with jam or preserves.

Note: Upon occasion, I put cheddar cheese and garlic in these and bake them, then after baked, I brush them with garlic butter so I can have cheddar bay biscuits.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:16 AM

507 posts, read 2,297,602 times
Try these sometime. They are absolutely "to die for!"

WHIPPING CREAM BISCUITS
2 c. self rising flour
1 c. whipping cream

Mix flour and cream together. Pat out 1/2 inch thick. Cut into rounds. Bake at 400 degrees until brown 8 to 10 minutes.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:53 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,745,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnhoneypot View Post
Try these sometime. They are absolutely "to die for!"

WHIPPING CREAM BISCUITS
2 c. self rising flour
1 c. whipping cream

Mix flour and cream together. Pat out 1/2 inch thick. Cut into rounds. Bake at 400 degrees until brown 8 to 10 minutes.

Tnhoney....those sound wonderful....and I will make them....much easier than my recipe!!! You certainly have some great recipes. LOL

Old 09-01-2009, 12:06 PM

507 posts, read 2,297,602 times
well thank you DL, so do you!!!

Old 09-02-2009, 11:09 PM

167 posts, read 518,074 times
Default Buttermilk Baking Powder Biscuits

Thank you all so much for the recipes.

I will try them all out, and hopefully I won't mess them up! Thanks, again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes