Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 06:07 AM

700 posts, read 1,646,710 times

Advertisements

Try the stone soup method. Invited some friends over. Had a list of veggies they could bring. Put the veggies into a large pot on the gas burner outside with water and a river stove. Did not peel or do anything to them. Just straight in. Smelled great. I had a pot already made up of some great homemade soup. Just served it instead of the dummy one. It was a hit. You have to do a little switching which I had a neighbor who was in on it. We had switched it when I had everyone step inside for a group toast. It was a great time. The stone soup was tossed. It killed the few weeds growing in the compost heap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 12:06 AM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,833,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Since72 View Post
Try the stone soup method. Invited some friends over. Had a list of veggies they could bring. Put the veggies into a large pot on the gas burner outside with water and a river stove. Did not peel or do anything to them. Just straight in. Smelled great. I had a pot already made up of some great homemade soup. Just served it instead of the dummy one. It was a hit. You have to do a little switching which I had a neighbor who was in on it. We had switched it when I had everyone step inside for a group toast. It was a great time. The stone soup was tossed. It killed the few weeds growing in the compost heap.
Did any of your friends went home and made the same stone soup, and actually ate it?

Old 05-18-2011, 01:05 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
Absolute worst for anything: soup or chili where the beef WASN"T BROWNED FIRST! (yes, once we got chili like this is a restaurant). You can tell not only visually but by its rubbery texture and horrible taste.

Second worst: soup where the cook (my SIL) made the chicken soup and threw in RAW cubes of chicken. (I cook the chicken first, use the broth and reduce it to stock with seasoning. Just raw chicken in water doesn't cut it.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:47 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Well, I thought I had seen it all and yet yesterday I was served the following:

Vegetable Soup
two cans green giant string beans
two cans green giant corn
two cans hunt's diced tomatoes
one large can Spicy V8 juice

heat until warm in a soup pan

anyone think they can top that with something a live human actually served to guests?
That sounds like what comes up in the sink when my garbage disposal backs up!

Old 05-19-2011, 08:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Well I know it isn't soup, but the worst I ever saw was one my mother in law cut out of a paper back in the late 30s: It was simple, just like her and this was it: 1 lb weiners: 1 onion sliced and 1/2 cut Catsup: heat and serve. That was all there was to it!!! I guess for people who don't like to cook and don't use spices it might be OK. She also prided herself in using lots of spices: example, she put 1/2 Tsp of chili powder in her homemade chili. Needless to say, I had to re-train hubby about how to eat really good food. (At lease hs says I re-trained him)

Nita

Old 05-19-2011, 09:49 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
My ex-MIL cooked fairly similarly - very bland and unpalatable. It didn't take much to "retrain" my XH to eat flavorful food. I doubt she ever felt any connection with what she presented her family with at the dinner table, it was seen as another tiresome joyless chore. Ironically, she was shaped like the little red hen, very stout and filled out.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:03 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,422,050 times
It isn't my favorite - but my daughter will ask for vegetable soup - and she wants - 1 can of swanson's fat free beef broth, frozen veggies - prefereably california blend - and salt. She doesn't know that I add a spash of worchestershire sauce, and some other spices. - But she loves it. (she is only 11)

Old 05-19-2011, 11:18 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well I know it isn't soup, but the worst I ever saw was one my mother in law cut out of a paper back in the late 30s: It was simple, just like her and this was it: 1 lb weiners: 1 onion sliced and 1/2 cut Catsup: heat and serve.
She needed a recipe for that?

Old 05-19-2011, 11:34 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I own some of those cookbooks, they were my mothers.
I have quite a few of those Better Homes and Gardens cookbooks from my mom and still use the Holidays and Casserole ones.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:59 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
My grandfather once tried to make soup from left over lamb. Not sure what was worse, the smell or the taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes