Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 01:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I have quite a few of those Better Homes and Gardens cookbooks from my mom and still use the Holidays and Casserole ones.
I too have some Better Homes and Garden, plus a couple Sunset: Sunset is to Ca like So Living is to the south. When my step mom passes away I am sure we will go through her storage sheds (she has 3 of them) and find a whole bunch of old cookbooks.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
She needed a recipe for that?
you didn't know my morther in law: She used to have a recipe for a salad called Rainbow and she fixed it every Christmas. It called for fruit cocktail and both red and green jello. I made it one year for another holiday, using another canned fruit because we don't care for fruit cocktail and I used orage and purple jello. She let me know I didn't follow the directions.

Nita

Old 05-19-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
My grandfather once tried to make soup from left over lamb. Not sure what was worse, the smell or the taste.
love Lamb, can eat left over but in a soup: yuk!!!!

Old 05-19-2011, 02:18 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,597,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Awesome link.
Check the Seven-Up recipes. A big slice of ham baked in Seven-Up is one yummy item. Serve with sweet potatoes or yams. I slice my sweet potatoes into rounds before boiling. When they're boiled to a very soft consistency, top them with butter and brown sugar. Broil for two or three minutes. Keep everything sweet for a neat meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Well, I thought I had seen it all and yet yesterday I was served the following:

Vegetable Soup
two cans green giant string beans
two cans green giant corn
two cans hunt's diced tomatoes
one large can Spicy V8 juice

heat until warm in a soup pan

anyone think they can top that with something a live human actually served to guests?
I'd substitute Tomato Sauce for V8. You'll need to adjust the quantity. I'd add one can of crushed tomatoes and one can of whole instwad of two crushed. Add some canned potatoes or a peeled and cut up fresh one or two. Some carrots would help as well. Steam the carrots first. Then take a small head of cabbage, saute in butter, and add all the other ingredients and simmer. You may need to add extra water. for spices, use pepper, tarragon. and some onion powder. Instead, you might saute a Sweet Vidalia with the cabbage. Start the onion first. When it's about 2/3 cooked, add the cabbage. Don't rush: heavy pot, low heat, and time equal good eats.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 05-19-2011 at 02:39 PM..

Old 05-20-2011, 06:40 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well I know it isn't soup, but the worst I ever saw was one my mother in law cut out of a paper back in the late 30s: It was simple, just like her and this was it: 1 lb weiners: 1 onion sliced and 1/2 cut Catsup: heat and serve. That was all there was to it!!! I guess for people who don't like to cook and don't use spices it might be OK. She also prided herself in using lots of spices: example, she put 1/2 Tsp of chili powder in her homemade chili. Needless to say, I had to re-train hubby about how to eat really good food. (At lease hs says I re-trained him)

Nita
A whole pound of wieners? Pretty extravagant for a family recovering from the depression, though I can't figure out why she didn't drop that recipe when it was no longer needed.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:14 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
I was just leafing through Aunt Sammy's Radio Recipes Revised, 1931. Really, the recipes are pretty sound, but the cream of turnip doesn't sound very appealing.

This sounds pretty awful. » REALLY Bad Recipes Wednesday: Soup Milkshakes!!!

Old 05-21-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
A whole pound of wieners? Pretty extravagant for a family recovering from the depression, though I can't figure out why she didn't drop that recipe when it was no longer needed.
you didn't know my mother in law!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes