Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:42 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,418,949 times

Advertisements

I love Christmas -- it should last about four months!!! Here's a squash casserole recipe that everyone will like -- even squash haters. I never have any left. The basic recipe came from a Savannah GA cookbook. I've made some changes over the years and here it is. 3 pounds yellow crookneck squash, 6 saltine crackers crumbled and soaked in milk, 2/3 cup mild white onion, 5 slices of white bread, 3 medium eggs, one cup shredded mild cheddar cheese, 1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper. Wash squash, slice and cook until tender in lightly salted water. Meanwhile, crumble crackers into small bowl and just cover with milk. Peel and slice onion into small dice. Slowly cook onion with butter or margaine in a small skillet or saucepan over low heat until limp. Toast bread in low oven until very dry (almost to melba toast stage). Make bread crumbs out of the toasts (I use a rolling pin). Beat the eggs lightly. Drain cooking water off the squash and mash with a potato masher. Drain any additional liquid from the squash again. Season with salt and pepper and check for seasonings (sometimes it takes a good bit of salt).In a large bowl combine the cooked squash, crackers with any milk drained off, cooked onion and fat it was cooked in, about 3/4 cup of the cheese (reserve a little for the crumb topping), and the beaten eggs. Add the mixture to a large casserole and add several small dots of butter or margaine. Combine the cheese and bread crumbs and top the casserole with the mixture. Repeat the dots of butter or margarine on top. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 06:33 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,657,993 times
Default Yellow squash recipe ideas?

We are fixin` to have a bunch here in a few days, and need some ideas other than fryin` them. Thanks!

Old 06-24-2011, 06:39 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
LOL...first garden, yrs ago: planted 8 plants....

I like it simple: shred & squeeze out extra moisture...S&P, then saute on med-high in BUTTER with sliced onion til slightly browned.

Sprinkle with fresh Parmesan and then eat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
We are fixin` to have a bunch here in a few days, and need some ideas other than fryin` them. Thanks!

Old 06-24-2011, 07:19 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,428,694 times
Vegetables - Summer Squash Au-gratin
Serves about 6

2 lbs summer squash
4 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup parmesan cheese

Cook squash until slightly soft. Drain well. Mash and mix with remaining ingredients and bake in casserole at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.

Vegetables - Roasted Herbed
Serves about 4

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic -- minced
2 teaspoons rosemary -- fresh
((or 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed rosemary))
((or 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil))
((or 1 teaspoon dried crushed basil))
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pepper -- to taste
4 cups chunked squash

In a medium mixing bowl combine the olive oil, garlic, rosemary or basil, and the salt. Let mixture stand for 2 hours. Add the squash to oil mixture, tossing to coat. Spoon squash mixture onto a 24x12-inch piece of heavy foil. Bring opposite edges of foil together; seal tightly with a double fold. Fold in remaining ends to completely enclose squash, leaving a little space for steam to build.

Bake in a 350 degree F. oven about 25 minutes or till tender. Season vegetables to taste with pepper.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I don't have the recipe in front of me, but I think I can pretty much give you a rough idea:

slice and cooked the squash for just a couple of minutes: (about 2 or 3 cups or more) drain, add a package of stove top stuffing mix, sour cream or cream of mushroom soup, a few sliced mushrooms and top with a cup of grated cheese. You can use yellow squash or a mixture of squashes for this. Heat in a 350 degree oven for about 1/2 hour.

Nita

Old 06-25-2011, 10:23 AM

133 posts, read 280,973 times
"We are fixin` to have a bunch here in a few days, and need some ideas other than fryin` them. Thanks!"

Cut them into french fry size pieces. Slice up an onion or two. Peel a couple of cloves of garlic.
Saute the onion in olive oil, add the garlic then the squash. Season with salt, pepper and basil (Fresh is better - shred it thin. Dried will also work)

They are also good in a stir fry or a Thai style green curry.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:11 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,879 times
Something I like doing with any of the summer squash varieties (yellow, zucchini, pat-a-pan, etc.) is to make a sort of Italian gravy stew.

Start by slicing down the squash into rounds about 1/2 an inch thick, slice up an onion or a couple of shallots, smash a clove or two of garlic, and if you've got some cremini mushrooms on hand, slice up a couple-three of those for good measure. Heat a bit of olive oil (no more than a tablespoon or so) in a skillet and toss all the sliced up stuff in the skillet together. Sprinkle your favorite Italian seasonings on top: oregano, basil, savory, black pepper, or a blend that you like. Toss them around together for a bit, really just until the onions are soft enough not to bite back, and then pour in about a cup or so of Italian red gravy (home-made if you have it on hand, otherwise your favorite jarred marinara sauce), cover and turn it down to low. Let it simmer merrily along for ten minutes or so, and you've got a wonderful side dish.

The other thing we do with summer squash (in fact MRBookworm is in the process of doing this even as I speak) is to slice them down lengthwise, score across the width about 1/3 of the way through the thickness of the squash, slather in olive oil, season with your favorite blend, and put them on a hot grill for 10 minutes or so. Put those babies alongside your favorite grilled meat, maybe with a couple of grilled portabella mushrooms, and you've got a feast.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:29 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
I got this one from a friend. I haven't tried it yet but it looks really good

Oh no....I don't have it on my computer. I'll have to type it

Here are 2 more:

zucchini patties

2 cups grated zucchini
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
salt to taste
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Directions
In a medium bowl, combine the zucchini, eggs, onion, flour, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, and salt. Stir well enough to distribute ingredients evenly.
Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Drop zucchini mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls, and cook for a few minutes on each side until golden.

and:
Zucchini Slice
5 eggs
150g (1 cup) self-raising flour, sifted
375g zucchini, grated
1 large onion, finely chopped
200g rindless bacon, chopped
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
60ml (1/4 cup) vegetable oil
Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease and line a 30 x 20cm lamington pan.
Beat the eggs in a large bowl until combined. Add the flour and beat until smooth, then add zucchini, onion, bacon, cheese and oil and stir to combine. Pour into the prepared pan and bake in oven for 30 minutes or until cooked through

I'll be back with the other one. Hey you can also make a pie with it. It's a mock apple pie. I'm going to try it this year but I think I will use a zucchini.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:31 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,809,581 times
There was a restaurant in Little Rock (can't remember the name) that made a squash casserole. It was very good. I think it had some cracker crumb topping on it. This sounds just like it:

Squash Casserole Recipe

Old 06-25-2011, 05:34 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,024,393 times
I'm eating yellow squash and zucchini now!! Sliced, brushed with herb/garlic infused oil and grilled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes