Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 08:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Those look great Beretta! I took a pic of this cheapie propane model while chasing Gdaughter around Wally's lawn and garden area..
I am thinking about starting a little smaller to see how hubby likes it. If it is anything like our electric grill he will be using it year around. The good news, for us is, we can use the electric ones in the winter. Here it get way to cold to be outside grilling. If he can put it on the screened porch, as cold as that gets, it is still better than the back of our lot.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 08:12 AM

859 posts, read 2,149,109 times
YUp we grill & Smoke out all year. We have a Garage

Old 07-20-2011, 10:26 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times
Number one son is an avid smoker and has an elaborate home made smoker. He swears by thesmokering.com forum where is an active poster and member. I recommend it.

The Smoke Ring

Old 07-20-2011, 01:19 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
I use a charcoal based smoker - the Weber Smokey Mountain

I don't mind the charcoal aspect of it and it does a great job at regulating the temps (this will be key regardless of type) .... to me the worst part of maintainence has nothing to do with the charcoal ... for me it's cleaning the grates, water pan, etc ... that is the hassle - the charcoal part is easy

I highly recommend the books by Bill & Cheryl Jamison - Smoke & Spice & Sublime Smoke are both worthwhile ... they are more recipes and are definitely geared towards low & slow cooking .... some really good standards in there as well as some other recipes to get the mind working on other stuff to whip up when the smoker is fired up (you can find a hundred pulled pork techniques online, but I never would of thought of trying the horseradish/taragon cheesey mashed potatoes which are very good)

The Paul Kirk Championship BBQ book will have more techniques and recipes where you crank up your temps for a little faster results (not high heat by any means though)

Most importantly, tinker, adjust and have fun

Old 07-24-2011, 10:34 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times
It's not the smoker, it's the cook. I've got a couple nice smokers, one is a weber kettle one touch silver, and I can screw it up or make it great........all in one day.

It takes practice and knowing your smoker/grill/oven/stove/dutch oven or what ever you use. It also takes practice knowing each cut of meat.

Test the waters with what you think would work great for you, in a couple yrs you'll want something different anyway.

Good luck

Old 07-24-2011, 10:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
We have priced the electric ones and have decided, next week to get one.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes