Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 11:58 AM

133 posts, read 281,119 times

Advertisements

Unless things change very rapidly, it appears that I will have about half a bushel of green tomatoes when first frost rolls around. We have a tomato eating cat (yes, really) so I can't just bring them in and let them ripen indoors.

Neither Ms Midwesternbookworm nor I care for fried green tomatoes. I have a couple of recipes for green tomato pickles, one a variant on the traditional cucumber dill, and the other a south Asian oil pickle. I still have a couple of quarts of the green tomato dills from last season (pickles tend to be in the "out of sight - out of mind" category" I make them, put them in the box that held the empty jars, put the jar on a shelf in the basement, and forget all about them). I also still have some salsa verde that I made with green tomatoes.

SO, for all of the uber-creative cooks out there, what else can I do them? I'd hate to throw them away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 12:55 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Can't you just put them in a room where the cat isn't? I think you can also place them in a sealed paper bag to ripen.
About your question, though, if we didn't love fried green tomatoes, I'd be stumped about what to do with them too.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:54 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,025,789 times
Maybe a tomato relish of some kind?

Old 09-25-2011, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Alternate uses for Green Tomatoes?

"Maybe a tomato relish of some kind?"

Now that you mention it, my mother used to make something she called Picalilly that had green tomatoes and cabbage in it. Anyone familiar with that?

Old 09-25-2011, 03:26 PM

I've heard of it, but not sure I've ever eaten it. I would google a basic recipe and adjust the ingredients to my taste. I like spicy food so would add hot peppers, etc. Wish I could help, I love creating recipes out of what I have on hand

Old 09-25-2011, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Alternate uses for Green Tomatoes?

If you like SPICY, try this recipe:

Green Tomato Pickle
Make about 1 1/2 cups
3 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon black mustard seed
Hefty pinch asafetida*
1 teaspoon ground fenugreek*
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 1/2 pounds green tomatoes, cut into a 1/2-inch dice
2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
1 scant tablespoon coarse salt
Heat the oil in a large skillet over a high heat. When hot but not smoking, add the mustard seeds, and let them pop (cover with a lid to prevent them from popping out of the pan). When the popping subsides, cut the heat down to medium and add the remaining ground spices. Stir and allow to toast for half a minute, then add the tomatoes, salt and lemon or lime juice. Let simmer, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are broken down and saucy, and the mixture has thickened, 30 to 40 minutes.
Serve immediately, or store in the refrigerator for future meals. Because of the high salt and low pH, this mixture will keep, refrigerated, for several weeks.

You can find Asafetida and fenugreek in Indian markets. if you don't have any nearby, just leave them out. The flavor will be different, but it's not a deal breaker.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:57 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Green Tomato Soup Recipe
Green Tomato Pie Recipe never had this with raisins though, think I might skip those
Harvest chutney
Green Tomato Relish - Piccalilli or Chowchow Recipe pretty good stuff, a little unusual, great on hot dogs!

Last but not least you can send them to me, I loooove fried green tomatoes.

Oh, seriously don't toss them, I'm sure a co-worker or neighbor or somebody at a local store would love to take them off your hands. We just had a lady give away about two dozen quart size baggies of cherry tomatoes where I work. We were on that woman like white on rice, lol.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:00 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Can't you just put them in a room where the cat isn't? I think you can also place them in a sealed paper bag to ripen.
About your question, though, if we didn't love fried green tomatoes, I'd be stumped about what to do with them too.
I agree about putting them in a sealed paper bag. We did that once when we had an early freeze and had nice ripe tomatoes for several weeks after. If too many of them ripen at once, par boil them and freeze them and they're good for stock and stews.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:39 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
I just looked around a bit and found all sorts of interesting recipes. It seems the people make jam, soup, quick breads, curry, quick pasta sauce and a host of other things with green tomatoes.

I've never been inundated with them so have no recommendations.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBookworm View Post
If you like SPICY, try this recipe:

Green Tomato Pickle
Make about 1 1/2 cups
3 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon black mustard seed
Hefty pinch asafetida*
1 teaspoon ground fenugreek*
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 1/2 pounds green tomatoes, cut into a 1/2-inch dice
2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
1 scant tablespoon coarse salt
Heat the oil in a large skillet over a high heat. When hot but not smoking, add the mustard seeds, and let them pop (cover with a lid to prevent them from popping out of the pan). When the popping subsides, cut the heat down to medium and add the remaining ground spices. Stir and allow to toast for half a minute, then add the tomatoes, salt and lemon or lime juice. Let simmer, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are broken down and saucy, and the mixture has thickened, 30 to 40 minutes.
Serve immediately, or store in the refrigerator for future meals. Because of the high salt and low pH, this mixture will keep, refrigerated, for several weeks.

You can find Asafetida and fenugreek in Indian markets. if you don't have any nearby, just leave them out. The flavor will be different, but it's not a deal breaker.
Sounds good. Several ethnic stores in my area so I should be able to find the spices. Now if I can just find some green tomatoes.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes