Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 01:09 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,375,392 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My teen son is one of The most picky eaters in history! I have enjoyed reading and trying some of the recipes posted. If I can have just one or maybe two recipe additions to my slim repetoire I would be thrilled .

I usually make some variation on chicken breasts, casseroles, enchiladas with ground turkey, turkey sausage with rice, meatloaf when its cool outside, and excessive amounts of pasta for my son the athlete/runner. If I never see any type of semilina durham product it will be too soon. We eat pasta atleast 3-4 times per week, a frozen pizza one night or maybe breakfast for dinner, and at times the infamous "Do it yourself" dinner which involves whatever is in the fridge with me not cooking. I really value some sort of home cooked/home eaten meal.

I love casseroles, so quick and easy, but of course "the guys" in my house don't. Some sort of easy to put together meal would be great, but no soups, stews/chilis. He and my husband will eat meat, but we eat a whole lotta turkey products in this house. One thousand thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 07:03 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
Well, let's start by getting some details. Describing someone as a picky eater covers a lot of ground, depending on who's doing the describing, so aside from being a starch-loving teenager, what else can you tell us about your son?

Is there any vegetable he likes?

Is there any fruit he likes?

Are there any seasonings that he particularly does or doesn't like?

Does he prefer white flour products or whole wheat?

Does he like any kind of dairy food (milk, cheese, yogurt, kefir)?

Is there any ethnic food type (e.g. Italian, Mexican, Mediterranean, Chinese) that he particularly likes or dislikes?

Do you serve turkey for health/budget reasons or because that's the only meat he'll eat?

Does he object more to flavors or to textures?

Is he the kind of person who prefers his food items carefully separated, not even touching let alone mixed up together?

All those questions would have an impact on the suggestions I'd offer, so if you could be more specific, that would help a lot.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:00 AM

1,890 posts, read 2,654,332 times
Picky eater?

When I was growing up, I had two options for meals:

Take it or leave it.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Well, let's start by getting some details. Describing someone as a picky eater covers a lot of ground, depending on who's doing the describing, so aside from being a starch-loving teenager, what else can you tell us about your son?

Is there any vegetable he likes? Broccoli
Is there any fruit he likes? Bananas, apples, mandarin oranges

Are there any seasonings that he particularly does or doesn't like? open

Does he prefer white flour products or whole wheat? whole wheat sandwich bread, rolls, tortillas, etc. white is okay

Does he like any kind of dairy food (milk, cheese, yogurt, kefir)? No yogurt, milk/cheeses are fine.

Is there any ethnic food type (e.g. Italian, Mexican, Mediterranean, Chinese) that he particularly likes or dislikes? No Chinese

Do you serve turkey for health/budget reasons or because that's the only meat he'll eat? Health

Does he object more to flavors or to textures? More concern with textures

Is he the kind of person who prefers his food items carefully separated, not even touching let alone mixed up together? Separated is the preference, but he will tolerate a casserole.

All those questions would have an impact on the suggestions I'd offer, so if you could be more specific, that would help a lot.
Thanks so much for your input, I have answered the above questions.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Picky eater?

Take it or leave it.
Funny!!

Old 10-07-2011, 03:13 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Picky eater?

Take it or leave it.
HaHa. It's eat it or wear it at my house. If I were you, I fix what I darn please, and if they are hungry they will eat it.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:27 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,294,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Thanks so much for your input, I have answered the above questions.

Really? Where?

Old 10-07-2011, 03:52 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
My son is a picky eater too, picky about textures more than taste.

This is a dish I throw together that he really likes as the consistency is fairly smooth and even:
Finely mince 1 small can mushrooms and 1 small onion,
add to 1/2 to 1 pound finely minced meat (I use polish sausage or ground hamburger but you can substitute) and brown in skillet.
While browning meat mixture prepare 2 boxes of long grain and wild rice (Uncle Bens or similar) adding one can cream of mushroom soup in place of some of the water the rice cooks in. I don't measure, so you might need to fiddle with it to get the amount of water needed just right.
Add browned meat mixture to rice and continue cooking until water is absorbed and rice is done. Serve with your favorite side.
This should feed a family of four.
I have been known to toss in some very finely minced carrots, spinach, cauliflower or broccoli into the mix too.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
Really? Where?
Check out my earlier post yesterday in which I "quoted" the questions and answered them in the body of the quote.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
My son is a picky eater too, picky about textures more than taste.

This is a dish I throw together that he really likes as the consistency is fairly smooth and even:
Finely mince 1 small can mushrooms and 1 small onion,
add to 1/2 to 1 pound finely minced meat (I use polish sausage or ground hamburger but you can substitute) and brown in skillet.
While browning meat mixture prepare 2 boxes of long grain and wild rice (Uncle Bens or similar) adding one can cream of mushroom soup in place of some of the water the rice cooks in. I don't measure, so you might need to fiddle with it to get the amount of water needed just right.
Add browned meat mixture to rice and continue cooking until water is absorbed and rice is done. Serve with your favorite side.
This should feed a family of four.
I have been known to toss in some very finely minced carrots, spinach, cauliflower or broccoli into the mix too.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes