Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 05:37 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,665,546 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any ideas on snacks or appetizers that travel well. It needs to be something that can be packed in cooler than put in hotel fridge and will last a couple days. Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 07:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Does anyone have any ideas on snacks or appetizers that travel well. It needs to be something that can be packed in cooler than put in hotel fridge and will last a couple days. Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks
I have a couple of ideas; 1-any really good, tasty, dip can be transported in a cooler and kept for ages in a hotel fridge. Cut up veggies with any cheese spread is another. I love to just buy a bunch of snacks like nuts, french fired potato strips, maybe something spicey like hot spicey cheese curls, whatever you like, combine them in a large plastic bowl and make your own tasty snack. I usually go to someplace like $ general for the small packages of snacks. I do not throw in chips or anything like that. It is an easy version of cereal mix to be honest. In fact I keep a bowl in our pantry all the time, for munching on between meals. That is unless hubby starts doing too much munching, then I call it quits for awhile. Another one, if you want to add a little sweet and doesn't even have to be kept cold, is a lemon and powdered sugar cereal mix on the back of the rice cereal box, I think. I made this at Christmas and still have some in the freezer. I loved th lemony flavor, only thing , the cereal,for some reason was a little tough, but still tasty. Home made cheese balls are another travel well snack. The other day I combined cream cheese, crumbled blue cheese and salsa. It was awesome spread on celery.

Nita

Old 04-22-2012, 11:15 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,665,546 times
Thanks for the ideas I will do the cheesball as thats one of my favorites. I am going to try to find some good dip recipes and make a few different kinds. If you can think of anything else please post. Myself and two other people will be providing snacks for about 50 people for 4 or 5 days.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Thanks for the ideas I will do the cheesball as thats one of my favorites. I am going to try to find some good dip recipes and make a few different kinds. If you can think of anything else please post. Myself and two other people will be providing snacks for about 50 people for 4 or 5 days.
Sounds like you will have fun but that is a lot of snacks for a lot of people. I have a couple favorite dips: 1-sour cream and mayo (equals amounts) mixed with an Liptons onion soup and add a cup of frozen spinish (defrosted and squeezed dry) plus a small jar of artichokes, chopped in to very small pieces. You may want to add some cuumbled bacon. Great spread on crackers, veggies or even chips.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:25 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,378,953 times
For "to go snacks" we do alot of trail mix and individual cheese and crackers, small bottles of water--this type of things.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:59 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
I'd be worried about sour cream and cream cheese based things, in and out of coolers, and hotel fridges. I think I'd rely a lot on hard cheeses, crackers, mixed nuts in cans, and fresh veggies.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:47 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
If I were sold on creamy dips, I'd shop for them/make them upon arrival, rather than travel with them. Too much in and out of non-uniformly cooled spaces.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I'd be worried about sour cream and cream cheese based things, in and out of coolers, and hotel fridges. I think I'd rely a lot on hard cheeses, crackers, mixed nuts in cans, and fresh veggies.
Maybe if you are using mayo but cream cheese and sour cream are just fine left out and then put back in the fridge. How often do you make cream cheese recipes using room temp cream cheese and what do you think sour cream is? Neither would make anyone sick...

Nita

Old 05-02-2012, 01:56 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,366,918 times
I love string cheese, and there are currently several types out there. The tomato/basil is awesome.
I also make a "cheese cookie" that travels beautifully. It's the same consistency as a cookie, crunchy, cheesy yumminess. Message me if you want the recipe.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:05 PM

17,402 posts, read 16,553,894 times
A jar of peanut butter and celery sticks or maybe whole grain mini bagels.

Laughing cow cheese wedges and Baby Bell light cheese. Cans of tuna fish, packs of ready to eat salmon or even sardines can be good for quick protein (bring an opener for the tuna).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes