Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 11:34 AM

758 posts, read 1,640,489 times

Advertisements

I usually use a combo of black beans and chili beans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 11:39 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Yep i use a combo too black beans , chilli beans and kidney beans oh wait that is a trio but yeah I also mix it up a little . take care .

Old 05-30-2012, 11:53 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
I don't like kidney beans, so I use pinto and black. I put some jalapenos in it too. One time we put pineapple in our chili...sounds weird but it was amazing! The sweetness of the pineapple blended with the spices and jalapenos was amazing!

Old 06-02-2012, 04:34 PM

133 posts, read 281,119 times
Default Re: Pinto Beans Ok in Chili

I've had a lot of dishes that are labeled chili, but really aren't. I participated in the chili cookoff at the Worldcon in San Antonio in 1997 (iirc). I placed second. There was a team from Seattle that made a seafood chili (think clam chowder with a little cumin and beans instead of potatoes)

After I hit the Powerball,I will "retire" from my current job (think "...and the horse you rode in on") and open a food cart that specializes in different colors of chili- Red, Black, Green, White, and Yellow.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:06 PM

8,047 posts, read 10,638,176 times
I use both kidney beans and pinto beans. My kids don't like the dark kidney beans, they like the light ones, but I prefer the dark ones. Not really CHILI to me without them.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:39 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times
Default Chili - what beans?

I saw Giada making a cool vegetarian chili. She made it with French lentils. Im not sure I'm ready to try lentils or any of those beans you have to soak. I'm still a can girl. So I'm thinking I could use what I usually do, which is pork n beans and kidney beans. She also said she uses hominy, which I'm not familiar with. Would it be a sacristy if I used pork n beans? Anyone here use hominy a lot?

Old 01-26-2015, 06:53 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I saw Giada making a cool vegetarian chili. She made it with French lentils. Im not sure I'm ready to try lentils or any of those beans you have to soak. I'm still a can girl. So I'm thinking I could use what I usually do, which is pork n beans and kidney beans. She also said she uses hominy, which I'm not familiar with. Would it be a sacristy if I used pork n beans? Anyone here use hominy a lot?
Hominy is just a version of grits.....and pork and beans? Ah....talk about throwing out a recipe.

If soaking lentils (or any bean) is too much for you (why? It's the easiest thing in the world) you can find canned lentils or the kidney beans you mentioned...much better choice than a can of pork and beans.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:54 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
I like Hominy...but not in chili! It's good fried, for breakfast! It's not a bean, it's corn..sort of like popcorn, but not "popped".

For chili, I use canned Kidney beans and/or Black beans.....rinse them before adding to the chili. Do NOT use pork'n beans....they are already flavored...it will make your chili taste awful!!!

You don't have to use dried beans...get canned...much easier!!!

Old 01-26-2015, 06:58 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
We had chili tonight; DH made it with canned pinto beans. Usually, I buy dry beans, quick soak (bring to a boil, turn it off, let it sit for an hour, pour off the water) and then cook them. Normally, I do them a day or so ahead in the crock pot, and then I can freeze the cooked beans for later use.

Beef chili is good with pinto, red beans of any type (we don't care much for red beans, so we rarely use them), black beans, or lentils (which do not require soaking). Chicken chili/white chili is good with cannellini beans, navy beans, great northern beans, basically any white bean.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:05 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Why would anyone want to make a concoction labeled "vegetarian" chili with "pork" n beans in it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes