Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 07:43 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,667,565 times

Advertisements

Frozen chicken breasts straight into the oven and add about 1/2 hour for them to thaw.

I let fresh/frozen chicken breasts thaw in the meat drawer of the fridge inside a ziplock bag with Italian free dressing added to them so they will take on the dressing flavor. I usually put them there the night before I plan to have them for dinner the next day. I have left them for a couple of days when I changed my mind what to cook because of time issues. They really need to be cooked by at least the third day even being in the meat drawer.

It is not safe to let meat get to room temperature, in my opinion. I would be scared to eat meat that started out at room temperature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 07:57 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,460,296 times
I throw it in the microwave on defrost for 10-20 seconds, depending on the size. That's just to take the chill off, and I check the meat every 10 seconds to see if it feels unchilled.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,936,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
I throw it in the microwave on defrost for 10-20 seconds, depending on the size. That's just to take the chill off, and I check the meat every 10 seconds to see if it feels unchilled.
are you talking about meat that is still frozen or meat that you have just removed from the fridge? I assume you are talking meat that is already thawed, if not, you have one powerful micro there.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Frozen chicken breasts straight into the oven and add about 1/2 hour for them to thaw.

I let fresh/frozen chicken breasts thaw in the meat drawer of the fridge inside a ziplock bag with Italian free dressing added to them so they will take on the dressing flavor. I usually put them there the night before I plan to have them for dinner the next day. I have left them for a couple of days when I changed my mind what to cook because of time issues. They really need to be cooked by at least the third day even being in the meat drawer.

It is not safe to let meat get to room temperature, in my opinion. I would be scared to eat meat that started out at room temperature.
I know a lot of people probably feel like you do about room temp meats, but many top chefs, and those on the good programs always recommend meat, especially steak be at room temp for an hour or two before grilling. This helps it cook more evenly and helps with flavor. I have to feel, if it was unsafe at all, they would not suggest preparing it this way. Chicken breasts, I could not leave out, even though I doubt it would hurt them either.

Nita

Old 07-09-2012, 08:21 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,184,894 times
Yes, all unprocessed meats are brought up to room temp before cooking.
Then I let it rest before it is cut into.

At what temps do you think that side of beef is aged at?
Letting the meat sit at room temp for an hour allows enzymes to activate that don't work at refrigerator temps. They tenderize the meat. Don't worry, this process is safe. Any microbes on the surface of the steak will be killed within 10 seconds of hitting the grill.
Also If you stick a cold piece of meat in a hot pan, grill or oven, you risk drying out the exterior of the meat before the inside has a chance to cook.

Last edited by snofarmer; 07-09-2012 at 08:36 AM..

Old 07-09-2012, 08:33 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,623,578 times
Just keep it out of the danger zone, 40-140, for less than 4 hrs and your fine. I've compared and all i can tell is that it cooks more evenly. I pull it out, season it, then light charcoals or smoker. I don't get too worked up about it. 6 of one ........

Old 07-09-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Yes, all unprocessed meats are brought up to room temp before cooking.
Then I let it rest before it is cut into.

At what temps do you think that side of beef is aged at?
Letting the meat sit at room temp for an hour allows enzymes to activate that don't work at refrigerator temps. They tenderize the meat. Don't worry, this process is safe. Any microbes on the surface of the steak will be killed within 10 seconds of hitting the grill.
Also If you stick a cold piece of meat in a hot pan, grill or oven, you risk drying out the exterior of the meat before the inside has a chance to cook.
that is exactly the way I feel. It does dry the outside and the inside can be undercooked. We too let it rest. Last night I did steak. After it was smothered in seasoning salt, pepper and garlic it sat, covered but not in the fridge for about an hour or a little longer. Because it was raining we decided not to grill (he decided not to) I didn't want the G. Foreman so I used our griddle which was still out from breakfast on Sat. We cooked it as high as the griddle would go (400) for 6 minutes on one side and 5 on the other, took it off, covered it with foil so it could rest and stuck the mushrooms and onions on the griddle. I rarely ever cook this way, but I can assure you, we had perfect, medium steak...

Old 07-09-2012, 12:38 PM

44,386 posts, read 20,108,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Read lots of time to never try to cook cold meat, especially in frying pan. Wondering how many of you bring your meat to room temp before cooking? I'm guessing the recommended cooking time for most recipes is for cold meat. How do you compensate?
I always keep meat very cold until just before cooking. There is absolutely no reason to bring it to room temperature first! I'll even cook meats that are still partially frozen in the middle. They come out tender and juicy that way.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:27 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,828,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
I always keep meat very cold until just before cooking. There is absolutely no reason to bring it to room temperature first! I'll even cook meats that are still partially frozen in the middle. They come out tender and juicy that way.

Yeah I've never had a problem with tenderness or juiciness (especially since I prefer my steaks and burgers medium rare, or at the most, medium-medium). I can't imagine the stench of rotting meat in my house leaving it out on the kitchen counter for a few hours to get to room temp - room temperature, for us, here in Connecticut, in my house with no air conditioning, in the summer, is 92 degrees and around 40-50% humidity. I can't even leave my counters out on the counter without having to worry about mold spores here, you couldn't pay me enough to leave meat out there.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:44 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,540,794 times
I'll leave it out 30 - 60 minutes so it will cook more evenly. It takes a LOT longer than that to have your kitchen smell like rotting meat?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes