Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 07:14 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times

Advertisements

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts ( I used natures promise organic chicken)
1 cup instand mashed potato flakes
1 tsp kosher salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp chili powder
olive oil to coat pan

Rinse chicken in cold water DO NOT pat dry. In a large Zip-Loc bag add flakes and spice. Using tongs place one piece of chicken in at a time and shake bag to coat chicken on all sides. Repeat until all chicken is coated. If you have a olive oil mister, spray 2 tsp olive oil (10 sprays) onto pan.Add chicken to pan and bake uncovered on 375 degrees for about 20-25 minutes depending on the thickeness of the chicken breasts. You may need to cook longer. Mine only took 25 minutes. after the first 15 minutes I flipped the chicken over. It does get slightly browned on both sides.

For those doing Weight Watchers it's 4 points plus per chicken breast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 06:35 PM

This was pretty good but not as crispy as I would have liked, but the chicken was moist and juicy.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:30 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
This was pretty good but not as crispy as I would have liked, but the chicken was moist and juicy.
Instead of misting the pan, mist the chicken. The flakes need some sort of fat to brown.

Try cooking at a higher temp for a shorter length of time. If you are cooking at 350 for 22-25 min, try 425 for 15-17 min. Pre-heat the oven to screaming hot.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:26 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Instead of misting the pan, mist the chicken. The flakes need some sort of fat to brown.

Try cooking at a higher temp for a shorter length of time. If you are cooking at 350 for 22-25 min, try 425 for 15-17 min. Pre-heat the oven to screaming hot.

^^^ That would cook the outside of the chicken and undercook the inside - unsafe!

Old 02-07-2013, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post

I did spray olive oil on the chicken. Oh well not making this coating again.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:46 PM

3,399 posts, read 3,091,356 times
I use mashed potato flakes all the time on my chicken but I spray the pan with non-fat cooking spray and then liberally spray the chicken with mashed potato flakes too. I know some people don't like cooking spray but I don't mind it. My chicken gets brown and looks just like fried chicken. But I admit I use the spray pretty heavily on the pan and on the chicken....plus it could be that I use whole chicken breasts and take the skin off so there probably is a bit of fat still on the breast.

I have fooled people before into thinking mine is fried chicken.

I imagine if you would also spray/mist the chicken more heavily with the olive oil it would get brown all over. I've never tried it though, but I know cooking spray works!

Old 02-07-2013, 05:41 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
I use mashed potato flakes all the time on my chicken but I spray the pan with non-fat cooking spray and then liberally spray the chicken with mashed potato flakes too. I know some people don't like cooking spray but I don't mind it. My chicken gets brown and looks just like fried chicken. But I admit I use the spray pretty heavily on the pan and on the chicken....
I'm not judgmental. Use whatever makes sense to you. But I hope you are clear that "non-fat" cooking spray is not non-fat. That's a labelling fiction that was allowed by the FDA because the standard "portion size" for cooking spray is so small... typically 1/2 second spray. A mere spritz on the pan, to keep the food from sticking. That's what it was designed for.

But in fact, when compared in equal quantities to corn oil, cooking spray has approximately the same nutritional analysis... same fat content, same calories. So spraying a chicken breast with cooking spray is pretty much the same as spraying it with corn oil.

What people are trying to do with olive oil misters is: 1) reduce the amount of oil applied to the food, 2) use a more heart-healthy oil, 3) eliminate the environmental impact of the throwaway spray cans, and 4) avoid breathing the alcohol thrown into the air by the canned sprays.

Like I said, what you do with that information is your business. The problem is, most people who use "cooking sprays" don't realize what they are really dealing with.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:58 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

^^^ That would cook the outside of the chicken and undercook the inside - unsafe!
would is not "I tried and..."

Note- I gave an..."If you, then try" senario. If she cooked the breast for 45 min, 1 1/2 hours, or 5 hours... my sugeastion was to up the temp and lesson the cooking time.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:05 AM

I never cook boneless skinless breasts for 45 minutes that's crazy and dries out the chicken. 20-30- minutes tops depending on the thickness.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:05 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,091,356 times
OpenD....I know perfectly well what cooking spray contains. This recipe was given to me by the cardiac affiliate group I go to and I asked my doctor about the heavy spray and he told me this recipe was much better than frying chicken. And I believe he has a license to practice heart medicine. Don't be judgmental but I think you might have been .... you don't have to worry about me....I've been doing this for years and am still here. I also am quite capable of determining fat grams as I learned this in culinarty school. Olive oil gives it a funny taste when cooking chicken this way. I don't spray half the can. I use the 2 to 3 sprays on the bottom of the pan and a complete spray on the chicken which it says to do in the cardiac diet given to me by the cardiac doctor. And I do have the fat content right on the recipe and it does not compare to the spraying with corn oil. My brand contains soy and canola. I'm quite sure that anyone who wants to cut their fat WOULD NOT buy cooking spray that had corn oil in it.

Last edited by rural chick; 02-08-2013 at 06:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes