Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 07:59 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times

Advertisements

Finally got around to experimenting with this and have to say this is a winner!

Pork (about 2 to 2-1/2 lbs)
Sea salt and cracked black pepper
Olive oil
1 can Cherry Coke
1 C barbecue sauce (I used Tony Roma's)
1 jar cherry preserves

Pat the pork dry and season to taste with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil over medium heat and sear the pork on all sides. Place pork in crock, pour the can of Cherry Coke over it, cover and cook on your desired setting (5 hrs on high, 8-9 hrs on low). When the pork pulls easily, transfer it to a separate bowl and shred. While you are shredding have the liquid from the crock simmering on the stove in a small saucepan to reduce to 1/2.

Stir the BBQ sauce, reduced crock juices, and the cherry preserves into the pork and transfer back into the crock for 1 more hour on high.

We served the pork in split King's Hawaiian rolls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 10:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I think it would be a tad too sweet for me, what with the soda AND the cherry preserves AND a potentially sweet BBQ sauce, but I Have made crock pot brisket before that used a can of soda to caramelize things a bit.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:08 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I think it would be a tad too sweet for me, what with the soda AND the cherry preserves AND a potentially sweet BBQ sauce, but I Have made crock pot brisket before that used a can of soda to caramelize things a bit.
I was going to ask the OP how sweet it ended up being? It sounds good but it also does sound very sweet ... not that that's going to stop me from trying it!

Old 03-11-2013, 01:45 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I was going to ask the OP how sweet it ended up being? It sounds good but it also does sound very sweet ... not that that's going to stop me from trying it!
I used a hickory type smoky BBQ sauce and a tart cherry preserve, so the flavors were actually well balanced. But yes, it was sweet. We like fruited meats, it's not for everyone I suppose. If someone has diabetes I wouldn't recommend this dish. If you're worried about it being too sweet you could always replace the preserves with a 1/2 jar of pitted morello cherries (or a can of tart cherries) and see how that works.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:18 PM

8,046 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Finally got around to experimenting with this and have to say this is a winner!

Pork (about 2 to 2-1/2 lbs)
Sea salt and cracked black pepper
Olive oil
1 can Cherry Coke
1 C barbecue sauce (I used Tony Roma's)
1 jar cherry preserves

Pat the pork dry and season to taste with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil over medium heat and sear the pork on all sides. Place pork in crock, pour the can of Cherry Coke over it, cover and cook on your desired setting (5 hrs on high, 8-9 hrs on low). When the pork pulls easily, transfer it to a separate bowl and shred. While you are shredding have the liquid from the crock simmering on the stove in a small saucepan to reduce to 1/2.

Stir the BBQ sauce, reduced crock juices, and the cherry preserves into the pork and transfer back into the crock for 1 more hour on high.

We served the pork in split King's Hawaiian rolls.
That's funny that you posted this - I just picked up the ingredients to tonight to make a similar pulled pork, only the recipe I found uses root beer instead. I'm making this in the crock pot tomorrow night.

Your cherry coke version sounds delicious though - and I love cherries. Think I'll try your recipe next time.

I'm glad you mentioned the part about getting the smoky flavored bar be que sauce to offset the sweetness. I did not get the sauce for this yet because, like other posters, I didn't want it to be TOO sweet. I stood in the bar b que sauce aisle and just couldn't decide.

Thanks for posting this.

Oh, and those Kings' Hawaiian rolls - the icing on the cake, they are delish.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:38 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
You could also marinate this using one can coke, and1/4 worstcheshire over night.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:23 PM

8,046 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Well, I did the pork butt in the crock pot with a can of A&W root beer. Put it in the cooker on low this morning, and came home tonight to add the barbeque sauce.

WOW. I don't think anyone would believe how fantastic this turns out if they haven't tried it for themselves.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:42 PM

336 posts, read 575,467 times
I did this with A&W root beer last week also. It was soooo good. I think I will try it with cherry coke next time though.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:53 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
That's funny that you posted this - I just picked up the ingredients to tonight to make a similar pulled pork, only the recipe I found uses root beer instead. I'm making this in the crock pot tomorrow night
I recently made one with pork, root beer and barbeque sauce...just three ingredients. While it was good, it was a little sweet. I probably should have tried the smoky flavored BBQ sauce.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:10 AM

336 posts, read 575,467 times
I put some liquid smoke in mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes