Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 03:27 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times

Advertisements

1-center cut pork loin or boston butt, size and lbs may vary so at least a 3-4 lb roast.
1 sweet onion sliced thin
3 garlic cloves chopped
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
1 envelope lipton inion soup mix
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups favorite BBQ sauce or homemade sauce

Layer onions in the bottom of a crockpot, season them with salt and pepper. place pork roast on top. Mix water and lipton onion soup mix together. Season pork with paprika and chili powder. Pour lipton onion soup over pork. Cook on low 5 1/2 hours. Remove pork and shred it using 2 forks. Place meat back in crockpot and add BBQ sauce cook 1 hour more.My neighbor makes it this way and I thought I would share it. Hers was very good and like butter I hope mine tatses just as good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 04:44 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,059,903 times
I am trying to use my slow cooker more ... this sounds very good, I will try it! Thanks for posting!

Old 02-14-2013, 06:29 PM

I made it and it was excellent. With the left overs I made pulled pork sandwiches with melted cheese on top. Yum!

Old 02-14-2013, 09:57 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,418,516 times
I've been looking for a pulled pork recipe as a 'frame' so to speak, to experiment with to get a good cherry cola pulled pork recipe. I think I'll try this one, follow everything as is, but replace the water for cherry coke, and half the BBQ sauce I will replace with a good cherry preserve.

Now just have to see when I can get a good price on pork. Thanks so much for sharing this one lubby!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:27 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,865,272 times
Try the recipe using 1/2 cup apple cider, 1TBS apple cider vinegar, and 1 cup water in place of the 1 1/2 cups water. Leave-out the onion soup mix, rub with a salt,pepper,paprika,garlic powder,chili powder mix, and don't cook in the BBQ sauce after shredding. Now you can use the shredded pork for sandwiches or carnitas to make burritos, tostadas, enchiladas or tacos.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 02-14-2013 at 10:43 PM..

Old 02-15-2013, 06:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Try the recipe using 1/2 cup apple cider, 1TBS apple cider vinegar, and 1 cup water in place of the 1 1/2 cups water. Leave-out the onion soup mix, rub with a salt,pepper,paprika,garlic powder,chili powder mix, and don't cook in the BBQ sauce after shredding. Now you can use the shredded pork for sandwiches or carnitas to make burritos, tostadas, enchiladas or tacos.
sounds like a winner to me. I never use the BBQ sause because it isn't one of my favorites, I put it on the table or wherever and let people use it if they want. I also like your idea, because you can use the pulled pork for a lot of things, minus the sause. As for the onion soup mix, I will use it, but I also like using homemade seasoning salt, similar to the spices you are talking about. I just make it up for months at a time. Of course if I use the spieces I don't use the onion soup mix....

Old 02-15-2013, 08:20 AM

This recipe was given to me by my neighbor, she gave me some to taste and it was delicious. I made it and was very good. I have another recipe I want to try

3-5 lb pound boneless pork roast that is tied
2 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
3 cloves garlic minced
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 cups red wine divided
1 can tomato paste

rub the meat with the rosemary garlic and salt, brown on both sides for 5 minutes each. Place in a crock pot or dutch oven, pour 1 cup red wine over the meat. Let slow cook in crock pot for 5 hours on low or in the oven on 300 degrees in a dutch oven. After 1 1/2 hours add the other cup of red wine that is mixed with tomato paste and pour over the pork roast. Continue cooking. You can check with meat thermometer as well to make sure pork is cooked at the proper temperature and this can avoid over cooking it or not cooking it enough.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
This recipe was given to me by my neighbor, she gave me some to taste and it was delicious. I made it and was very good. I have another recipe I want to try

3-5 lb pound boneless pork roast that is tied
2 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
3 cloves garlic minced
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 cups red wine divided
1 can tomato paste

rub the meat with the rosemary garlic and salt, brown on both sides for 5 minutes each. Place in a crock pot or dutch oven, pour 1 cup red wine over the meat. Let slow cook in crock pot for 5 hours on low or in the oven on 300 degrees in a dutch oven. After 1 1/2 hours add the other cup of red wine that is mixed with tomato paste and pour over the pork roast. Continue cooking. You can check with meat thermometer as well to make sure pork is cooked at the proper temperature and this can avoid over cooking it or not cooking it enough.
This sounds good, but I still have a problem with the tomato paste, if you use anything like that, you are limited to what you can do with the pork. For instance, you wouldn't want to use it for tomales. If you are doing a pulled pork just for BBQ sandwhiches that is different..

Old 02-16-2013, 02:12 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,599,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I've been looking for a pulled pork recipe as a 'frame' so to speak, to experiment with to get a good cherry cola pulled pork recipe. I think I'll try this one, follow everything as is, but replace the water for cherry coke, and half the BBQ sauce I will replace with a good cherry preserve.

Now just have to see when I can get a good price on pork. Thanks so much for sharing this one lubby!
Do you like your meat on the sweet side? Because your changes are going to pull the flavor profile much sweeter than the original. Perhaps use pitted tart cherries that are chopped instead of cherry preserves to temper the sweetness.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:32 PM

Last night at a party we attended they served crock pot pulled pork for sandwhiches. Hubby said it was really good, it sounded similar to Lubby's. I choose the crock pot Italian chicken for my sandwhich. I didn't get the recipe but will. It was really good, with just a little kick to it..The interesting part, the gal that made the chicken normally makes things pretty bland, I was a little surprised at the spice flavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes