Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 04:02 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,848,202 times

Advertisements

Watching What I Eat: Bangers & Mash ~ Cauliflower Mock Mashed Potatoes
Saw this the other day. I've actually made this (the whipped cauliflower) before I had seen this article. If you've never tried food processed cauliflower, give it a try. It's pretty good. The site is pretty cool if you are substituting foods for your health.

Hungry Girl - Tuesday Newsletter
Cauliflower "potato salad."

Edit. This was supposed to be in the recipes section.....woops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 05:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,888,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Saw this the other day. I've actually made this (the whipped cauliflower) before I had seen this article. If you've never tried food processed cauliflower, give it a try. It's pretty good. The site is pretty cool if you are substituting foods for your health.

I don't think I could do the Cauliflower potato salad but we have been using 1/2 cauliflower and 1/2 potato and mashing them for years. Last night I did the same only I used a turnip.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:29 PM

61,888 posts, read 87,385,514 times
I often mash other veggies into my mash potatoes. Cauliflower taste superb, most root veggies are great mashed together ( carrots, parsnip); turnip, celery, kohlrabi, rutabaga even white beans Chopped, sauteed onions!
Great way to add some more veggies to meals ( or conceal them from picky kids ).

Old 04-27-2013, 05:44 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,615,568 times
Another thing to do with cauliflower is to chop it fine, steam it and serve it as a substitute for rice. And I'll cut it into florets, toss with EVOO and S&P and roast at a high heat, turning a couple of times until it's lightly browned as a sub for fries with a meal.

I still love potatoes, but I also love subbing the cauliflower when I need to lower my intake of starches.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:01 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,295,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post

Just last night, I was telling DH I'm in the mood for bangers & mash, but I want to make it with cauli. Funny this should come up now.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:25 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,207,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I often mash other veggies into my mash potatoes. Cauliflower taste superb, most root veggies are great mashed together ( carrots, parsnip); turnip, celery, kohlrabi, rutabaga even white beans Chopped, sauteed onions!
Great way to add some more veggies to meals ( or conceal them from picky kids ).
After you've cooked the veggies to a stage soft enough to mash haven't they already lost their nutritional value so what would be the point? I 'm really curious about this please.

On a tight budget cauliflower being close to $4.00 per head a family would be money ahead just using all potatoes. I love cauliflower but never thought to try this I'll have to do it soon last kid about to leave the nest.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,888,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
After you've cooked the veggies to a stage soft enough to mash haven't they already lost their nutritional value so what would be the point? I 'm really curious about this please.

On a tight budget cauliflower being close to $4.00 per head a family would be money ahead just using all potatoes. I love cauliflower but never thought to try this I'll have to do it soon last kid about to leave the nest.
Actually they haven't lost all the nutritional value, but yes, some of it. I doubt many of us would choose root vegetables at their height in prices, but when they are less expensive. An additional benefit to using other veggies is calories. Most are not quite as high in calories as potatoes. I am not saying potatoes are really all that high, but they do have more carbs as well. We did the turnip one again last night. Right now they are pretty inexpensive and add a completely different flavor to the mashed idea.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:59 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,777,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't think I could do the Cauliflower potato salad but we have been using 1/2 cauliflower and 1/2 potato and mashing them for years. Last night I did the same only I used a turnip.
Potato and turnip mashed together are terrific. Use a parsnip instead and you get a totally different taste.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:24 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,162,336 times
Love mashed mock cauliflower. I like to add a little parm cheese as well. I don't care too much that we do lose a little nutritional value since we tend to eat lots of veggies everyday. What I do like about it is the low carb factor. I am going to have to try the chicken sausage that is mentioned also in the link - thank you OP for posting!

Old 04-30-2013, 11:05 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,207,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Actually they haven't lost all the nutritional value, but yes, some of it. I doubt many of us would choose root vegetables at their height in prices, but when they are less expensive. An additional benefit to using other veggies is calories. Most are not quite as high in calories as potatoes. I am not saying potatoes are really all that high, but they do have more carbs as well. We did the turnip one again last night. Right now they are pretty inexpensive and add a completely different flavor to the mashed idea.
I bought a head of cauliflower yesterday I'm want to try this mashed version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes