Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 07:36 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,551,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Karey

Yes its a side dish. I prefer it to the marshmallow stuff and so will your husband. Besides the marshmallow stuff is last minute stuff. If youre cooking for 20 peeps you need to make as much ahead as you can. I make my casserole two or three days ahead and then just rebake it on the day. It really does taste better with each reheating.

Everybody has the Potluck Corn Pudding casserole so I wont post that one. heres one for Southern Corn. Its another one that can be made several days ahead and tastes better reheated after the flavors meld.. The more stuff you can make ahead the less stress youll have on T day.

Southern Corn

2 small onions copped fine
2 T flour
1 pt sour cream
2 cans whole corn drained
1 lb bacon fried crisp and crumbled

Saute onions in butter until golden and tender. Add flour. Stir . Remove from heat. Add sour cream and corn and bacon. Save some bacon for garnish on top. Bake in covered casserole 20-30 minutes.

FYI I cook my bacon in the oven . its less messy and you can do the whole pound at once.
Thank You Cecilia.... How do you bake bacon in the oven. You put the bacib in a baking dish with a cover? or broil? What....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 07:47 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,521 posts, read 6,328,608 times
Karey

When I cook I cook everything I can in the oven. I hate to watch stuff cook. It takes too long in the skillet and the grease trashes the stove. I try not to cook on the stove if I can help it. I like my mess in the oven where peeps cant see it.

Separate the bacon and lay flat in a large pyrex casserole. Or two casseoles if needed. Bake at 350 +/- Check it every so often and pour off the grease. Its been a while . I think it takes 20 mins. Its done when its done just like when you do it on the stove..

Old 11-12-2007, 10:41 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,257,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kareybear View Post
Would you all interested in Pear and Cranberry Pie??? It is YUMMY
Please share. Pears are my favorite fruit. Just made a pear crisp. I've tried the cranberries with apple pie and I like it also.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:20 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,257,117 times
My family doesn't like fruitcake. When the Detroit Free Press ran this recipe many years ago as an alternative to fruitcake, I tried it. Very rich. Sometimes I don't even glaze. The original recipe called for walnuts, but I use pecans instead. Different versions are all over the internet now. A new relative in my family had never tasted pumpkin before. She loves it.

Harvest Loaf Cake
INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 c canned pumpkin
1- 6 oz. pkg. semisweet chocolate chips
1 c chopped pecans

Glaze:
* 1/2 cup powdered sugar
* dash nutmeg, dash cinnamon
* 2 tbsp. light cream or milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x5 inch loaf pan.

Stir together flour, soda, salt, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, ginger and cloves. Set aside.

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy, Add eggs and beat well.

Add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternately with pumpkin beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Stir in chocolate chips and 3/4 cup pecans. Pour batter into greased pan. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 c. pecans on top.

Bake at for 65 to 70 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. While still warm, drizzle with glaze (below).

Glaze: In a medium bowl, combine confectioners sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon. Mix and add 1 to 2 teaspoons cream. Drizzle over cooled cake.

The Black Eyed Pea was a restaurant in Dallas. I think it's out of business now, but it had really good vegetable dishes for a chain. Here's a favorite that I make on Thanksgiving:

Black Eyed Pea Baked Squash
5 lbs. yellow squash
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 C. bread crumbs
1/4 C. sugar
2 tablespoons dehydrated onion (I substitute about 1/8 C. fresh chopped onion)
1/8 tsp. black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 F. Wash squash and cut off ends. Slice squash into 1/2-inch pieces. Fill 5-quart pot two-thirds full of water and bring to boil. Add squash. Boil 3 50 5 minutes or until just tender. Drain off water.

Mash squash slightly and drain off any additional water. In large bowl of mixer or food processor, combine squash, butter, eggs, bread crumbs, sugar, onion and black pepper. Mix well. Place in 9 x 13-inch casserole, Bake uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes. Makes 8 to 10 servings.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:38 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
You have to be a little careful with this because of the fat involved. I started basting my turkeys by putting a layer of bacon across the top of the turkey while cooking. I would usually use about 2 pounds of bacon, before the turkey got done. Gave the turkey a better taste--I hate dry turkey.

Fast forward to retirement: I go to Sam's and buy a smoked turkey already cooked and frozen. Takes much less time to cook and tastes much better than even the bacon basted turkey.

Hint. If you are doing the real from scratch turkey, the young hen turkeys have a much better flavor.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:47 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,603,566 times
Default Appetizer

Below is one of my most requested appetizer recipes and it's really easy. Make sure you dust some flour on your face so they think it took you all day!

FLORENTINE ARTICHOKE DIP

1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
2 (6-ounce) jars marinated artichoke hearts, undrained
3 large cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (use the real thing and NOT the dehydrated version)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 cups fine, dry breadcrumbs

Drain spinach; press between layers of paper towels. Drain and chop artichoke hearts.

Combine spinach, artichoke hearts, garlic, and next 4 ingredients, stirring well. Spoon into a lightly greased 11-x7-x1/2-inch baking dish; sprinkle with breadcrumbs

Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes; serve with assorted crackers or breadsticks.

Yield: 4 cups

Last edited by TampaKaren; 11-15-2007 at 05:03 PM..

Old 11-15-2007, 04:58 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,603,566 times
Default Family Favorite - Side Dish

THREE-CHEESE MASHED POTATO CASSEROLE

Makes 4 servings (May be doubled)

Prep: 35 min Cook: 15 min Bake: 20 min

4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed *
1 cup sour cream
1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Meunster cheese
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Cook potatoes in boiling water to cover 15 minutes or until tender. Drain.

Beat potatoes and next 3 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until mixture is smooth. Stir in milk and remaining ingredients. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 2-quart baking dish. (Cover and chill if desired; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before baking.)

Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

* Substitute frozen mashed potatoes, if desired. Prepare potatoes according to package directions for 4 servings. Proceed with recipe as directed.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:05 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
What wonderful additions!!!

Just imagine if we all had Thanksgiving together with this menu.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:46 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,858 times
Buttermilk Pie

1/3 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 pinch salt
2 Tbs flour
2 large eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 pie shell, unbaked
1 tsp nutmeg

Cream butter and sugar.

Add buttermilk, salt, flour, eggs and vanilla.

Pour into unbaked pie shell.

Sprinkle top lightly with nutmeg.

Bake at 300º for 1 hour.

Pie is done with knife inserted in center comes out clean, and middle of pie is not jiggly.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:47 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,858 times
Squash Casserole

3 lbs yellow squash, sliced
1/4 cup butter
1 large onion, chopped
2 Tbs cornstarch
1/2 cup butter
1 cup half and half
2 1/2 cups Ritz crackers, crushed
1/2 lb Velveeta, cubed

Cook squash and onion until tender.

Melt 1/2 cup butter in skillet

Saute crushed crackers in butter until crisp and brown - set aside

Make sauce with 1/4 cup butter, cornstarch and half & half; add cheese and
stir until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth

Arrange squash and onions in 9 x 13 baking dish

Pour sauce over squash and onions, then top with crumbs

Bake at 350º for 25 minutes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes