Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2013, 04:03 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times

Advertisements

I just bought myself a pressure canner/cooker and am really excited to use it today. My first experiment will be chicken/turkey broth that I want to first pressure cook. Then I want to put the broth into jars and pressure can them.

My question is a recipe question, though. I recently cooked up 10 pounds of chicken, and after removing the chicken (leg quarters) from the pan, I put the pan in the fridge overnight and then skimmed off the layer of white fat the next day.

What remained was a jelly-like substance that I put into containers and froze.

I did the same thing with the Thanksgiving turkey I cooked.

My plan was to put this into the pot with the turkey bones (already used the chicken bones for different batch of soup), and the turkey neck, along with some veggies and spices, to make broth out of.

Is this a good idea? It's been so long since I've cooked from scratch. It's one of my new hobbies in retirement, to get back into cooking and canning. I can remember making gravy from the drippings, but if I add this jelly stuff to the broth, will it be okay? I noticed that it does liquify at room temperature. I'm wondering if it will be too greasy?

Would really appreciate any feedback. Also, if you think adding the chicken and turkey drippings together would make it taste wrong. I plan on using the broth for soups, etc., like you would any chicken broth.

Thanks for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 11:11 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
The jelly is gelatin released from the bones while cooking (which, incidentally is how jellies, i.e., jell-O-like molds, used to be made before packaged gelatin). And, yes, it makes the best stock.

From your description I’m confused as to how you cooked the 10 pounds of chicken and got the jelly in the first place. Did you make stock, which you now want to add to turkey carcass to make a double stock?

Old 12-19-2013, 11:48 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
That jelly is your stock, it shouldn't be greasy at all if you skimmed the solidified fat off the top. It will be liquid again when you heat it, and you can use it to make your turkey stock richer if that's what you're going for.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:57 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,651 times
I brown the bones, skin, neck, whatever is left in the oven before I make stock. It gives the finished product a richer color. Get it good and brown, being careful not to burn, and don't forget to deglaze the roasting pan, or if you have a big enough pan, make your stock in the same pan in the oven.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:05 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
The jelly is gelatin released from the bones while cooking (which, incidentally is how jellies, i.e., jell-O-like molds, used to be made before packaged gelatin). And, yes, it makes the best stock.

From your description I’m confused as to how you cooked the 10 pounds of chicken and got the jelly in the first place. Did you make stock, which you now want to add to turkey carcass to make a double stock?
First I want to say I added the jelly to the pressure cooked stock from the turkey bones, and it's amazing! So delicious! I did some research on Google and learned that it's actually good for you, too.

As far as the chicken. It was a big bag of chicken quarters (legs and thighs attached) - 10 pounds of them that was given to me at a USDA food commodities giveaway last month. It was frozen into one giant block, and I couldn't get any of them separated.

So, I thawed out the whole 10 pounds, and put them all into an aluminum turkey cooking pan, covered them with foil, and baked them all at 375 for about 2 hours.

I then took the legs out of all the juice in the pan, took the meat off of them and froze the bones.

Then I put the aluminum pan in the fridge overnight and let the fat rise to the surface. I skimmed the fat the next day, and there was about a quart's worth of the jelly left in the pan, which I froze.

That's all I did, so I really don't know why I ended up with jelly lol! But, I thought it may be good to make something out of, so I kept it. It wasn't as tasty as the turkey jelly, but was still good.

Next, I'm going to can the broth in my new pressure canner. I'm loving this canner/cooker!

Thanks so much for everyone's help. It turned out so good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes