Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 11:25 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times

Advertisements

Hello there. I am attempting a white chili with chicken today. I have never made it or even eaten it so I am not exactly sure how it is even supposed to taste!

I guess however it turns out, we will either like it or not.

If any of you have a white chili recipe, can you please share it? I am trying to add more things to my dinners that I make, and trying for them to be healthy as well.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 03:15 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
Never understood why it was called 'White' chili.

Is it because it's made with poultry and/or because of the type of bean it calls for?

Here's my poultry chili, anyhow

Baja Buzzard Chili
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper -- (1/2 to 1)
1/2 cup chopped onion -- (1/2 to 1)
2 clove garlic -- minced
28 ounces stewed tomatoes -- not drained
3 cups turkey -- cooked and cubed
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cilantro (or 1 teaspoon coriander)
1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper -- or more
1/8 teaspoon Tabasco-type hot sauce -- or more
14 ounce to 28 ounces black beans -- drained and rinsed (I use Eden black soy beans because of carbs)
Optional:
14 ounces corn -- rinsed and drained
4 to 7 ounce can of chopped green Ortega chilis

Oil or spray the crockpot. Throw it all in a crockpot, give it a stir, and cook on low for a minimum of 4 hours, maximum 8 hours. My crockpot is an oldie, it doesn't cook real hot like the newer ones. Toppings: Shredded cheese, sour cream, chopped white onion or green onion, jalapenos, etc.
It's a very forgiving recipe you can play with, little of this, little of that.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:12 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Never understood why it was called 'White' chili...
Because it doesn't typically have any tomatoes in it. I've tried several white chilis and none of them have had tomatoes in them and they all had white beans.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:29 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I don't generally follow a recipe.

I cook an onion, 2 or 3 cloves of garlic and 2 or 3 jalapeno peppers in 2 cans of chicken broth. Then I add 2 or 3 cups of chopped up turkey or chicken and 2 cans of white beans, cannellini or Great Northern. Add a tablespoon of cumin, some black pepper, and about a teaspoon of dried oregano.

I puree another can of white beans, and add it and 1 cup of shredded cheddar or jack cheese to the chili, and let it cook for about 20 minutes. You can add more broth if you think it's too thick, or more pureed beans if you think it's too thin.

Serve with more shredded cheese and green onions on top, and/or crisp tortilla strips.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:37 PM

147 posts, read 178,143 times
Ohiogirl's looks like the way to go. Back when I still ate meat and needed something simple, I used this in my crockpot:

White Chicken Chili with Hominy

1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
2 cans (15.8 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15.5 ounces) white hominy, drained
1 envelope (1.25 ounces) taco seasoning mix
1 can (4.5 ounces) chopped green chiles
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed reduced-sodium cream of mushroom

sour cream, if desired
Chopped green onions, if desired

Place chicken in 3- to 4-quart slow cooker. Top with remaining ingredients except sour cream and onions. Cover and cook on low heat setting 8 to 10 hours. Before serving, stir gently to break up chicken pieces.Serve topped with sour cream and onions.

I've always been very picky with using prepackaged and canned ingredients, but this never had that pre-fab taste to it in spite of all that.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:42 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
Off the top of my head...I make this often but don't have it written down.

Two large cans or jars of white beans, such as Northern beans. (Black beans work well too but then I suppose it wouldn't be white chili.)
A pound or so of chicken - I like thighs.
Chicken stock, salt and pepper.
A can or two or three of roasted chili peppers, or fresh-roasted peppers.
Some chopped onion, and/or bell peppers or hot peppers.
Various spices to taste as Gandalara listed.
Onion, if you'd like.

CHEESE - anything from sharp cheddar to Gouda to feta to cream cheese will work.

Sautee chicken and veggies. Add stock,and spices. Cook through. Add beans and cheese. Cook until all melted and yummy. Eat.

As stated this is an extremely forgiving recipe and there are a ton of ways to make it right, so don't get too hung up on specifics!

Old 02-11-2014, 05:42 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Well thanks for the recipes. They sound good. What I made.......was not. LOL.

It was a box of dried beans which I followed the directions on and they did turn out good, but the seasoning that came with them just did not taste good. I am going to have to give it another try with one of these recipes.

Thanks again!

Old 02-11-2014, 06:37 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I don't generally follow a recipe.

I cook an onion, 2 or 3 cloves of garlic and 2 or 3 jalapeno peppers in 2 cans of chicken broth. Then I add 2 or 3 cups of chopped up turkey or chicken and 2 cans of white beans, cannellini or Great Northern. Add a tablespoon of cumin, some black pepper, and about a teaspoon of dried oregano.

I puree another can of white beans, and add it and 1 cup of shredded cheddar or jack cheese to the chili, and let it cook for about 20 minutes. You can add more broth if you think it's too thick, or more pureed beans if you think it's too thin.

Serve with more shredded cheese and green onions on top, and/or crisp tortilla strips.
This is similar to my recipe except I start off sauteing onion and celery, add 1 bottle of salsa verde (medium hot if you can find it!) and a small can (or two) of diced green chilis. Add a generous squeeze of fresh lime juice and a spoonful of sour cream to it when you serve!

Absolutely necessary in my opinion is to crush or smash most of the white beans. It makes all the difference!

Old 02-11-2014, 08:04 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Well thanks for the recipes. They sound good. What I made.......was not. LOL.

It was a box of dried beans which I followed the directions on and they did turn out good, but the seasoning that came with them just did not taste good. I am going to have to give it another try with one of these recipes.

Thanks again!

Hi Pik.....I just now saw this and I missed your original "call for help" or I would have sent this earlier! I confess I have only made white bean chili one time in my life - I loved it but my hubby did not - if it isn't red and doesn't have macaroni noodles in it - it's not chili. Besides, he's not really big on chicken. There was a restaurant we used to go to and I would get their white chili instead of salad - I loved it!! Anyway, since I never made it again I don't have the recipe I used. I did however, copy you a link off of Pinterest with a bunch of different recipes hoping you might find one you like. Not sure if you use Pinterest or not - it is very addicting and a fun way to kill some time once in a while. I have found some really good recipes on it, and my niece sends me links to some really yummy stuff too. Here's a link for you to drool over!!!: Pinterest
Sorry your supper didn't turn out - it happens sometimes!!

Old 02-11-2014, 08:42 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Thanks for the ideas. I've had a few what I consider unsuccessful attempts at white or chicken chili. Most recipes I see ask for tomatoes, and I was trying to avoid them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes