Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 03:27 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
sounds good BDD except we don't like olives at our house.
Heretics.

Who in the heck doesn't like olives?

Good thing about that salad is that you can easily add or take away items and not greatly affect it too much as long as you dont get carried away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 03:54 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
My favorite pasta salad is macaroni and miracle whip(r) pieces of ham and cheese cubed to 1/2" and *maybe* a little celery for some extra texture. That's it. That's all you need in the world. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-17-2014, 08:53 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
Okay, I've been trying to follow this thread but after this post .... are ya'll talking in code? To keep the solution from the rest of us who aren't so enlightened in the "Sounds of the Salad"?

Not trying to keep anything from you and not using code. It is just very difficult to describe in words the "sound" I am talking about.
If you read a bit further you will find your answer and my apologies that I am unable to be clear when it comes to putting sound into written words. Sometimes I can barely put written words into written words.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:00 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
really Sheena? I tend to think of pasta is pasta...I usually buy store brand. We all know many factories package store brand and name brand side by side with same product.

no kudzu, I would usually agree with you about pasta. I'll use any brand - generally the store brand or what's on sale, if I'm using it with a tomato sauce. I really can't taste any difference.

However, when it comes to macaroni/pasta salad, it has to be sturdier in order to hold up to all of the tossing that comes with making a pasta salad, and it needs to stand up to the vegetables in he salad.

I know some "real" cooks favor certain brands and insist that they taste differently. I've also read that the less expensive brands are starchier.

Lately, I've been trying to avoid anything with GMO and to eat more organic foods. Our largest supermarket, Giant Eagle, has a nicely priced line of organic products.
Lately, I've been buying their organic ....everything.
It's all been good!

Tell you what, tomorrow I'll try to make a macaroni salad - my basic "old school" one that I've eaten all of my life. And I'll use the organic store brand.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:08 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet*Tea View Post
Thank you! Does the sour cream add a different consistency to the mixture? Maybe make it more creamy?

One of my variations on the recipe that I gave is to use 1/2 mayo and 1/2 sour cream. I happen to like it better because I think it's fluffier and less greasy.

I think Hedgehog Mom wrote that.

One of my children does not eat any dairy products (I use Veganaise when he's home - vegan mayo) so I can't make it for him.

My preference is at least some sour cream, if not 1/2.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:21 PM

161 posts, read 341,877 times
Just a hint...when you've added plenty of mayo, but it starts to absorb...add just a little bit of water instead of more mayo. Otherwise, you can add so much mayo it gets kind of thickish...is that a word? lol.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:26 PM

161 posts, read 341,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
I had an absolutely delicious pasta salad at a buffet last weekend. It had a zesty Italian dressing. I'm thinking of trying to replicate it.

A great Italian base is equal amount of sugar and vinegar.
One of the best salads on our buffet is this base, with some italian seasoning, garlic salt, onion, mozzarella cheese and a little parmesan. Pour over rotini.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:51 AM

4,587 posts, read 4,216,957 times
I so much thank everyone for the great tips! If you think of any others, please share.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:08 AM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
I had an absolutely delicious pasta salad at a buffet last weekend. It had a zesty Italian dressing. I'm thinking of trying to replicate it.
As I said above, a large bottle of Wishbone Italian to a pound of pasta and what ever other veggies you want. You don't need spices or onion, because the dressing has those things.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:25 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAYLINDA View Post
A great Italian base is equal amount of sugar and vinegar.
One of the best salads on our buffet is this base, with some italian seasoning, garlic salt, onion, mozzarella cheese and a little parmesan. Pour over rotini.
Surely it has some olive oil or some oil in it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes