Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 07:10 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
This works every time for me! Perfect eggs.
Try the updated version I posted. Don't cover and time for 12 minutes. Even better eggs!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 07:15 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
Speaking of hard boiled eggs, I am seriously going to try this recipe: Egg Salad with Sun Dried Tomato Sauce

Old 10-21-2015, 08:51 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,936 times
I put them in a pot of room temp water, add a dash, or so of white vinegar, then bring them to a boil. Once the water boils, cut the heat off, cover the pot, and let them sit in the pot for around 7 minutes. Then, take them out, and submerge them in a bowl of water with ice, and let them sit for approx. 5 minutes. Put them under running water when you are peeling them. It's a lot of work, but it gives you a nice boiled egg. The vinegar helps the shell to separate from the whites.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:18 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Cover eggs in cold water, bring water to a boil, cover and remove from heat. Let sit for ~15 min. and then plunge eggs into ice water to cool quickly.
I do this but only 8 minutes instead of 15. For me, perfect.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:10 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
This!

Unfortunately, a perfectly boiled egg and an egg that peels cleanly have some contradictions...

Your egg will cook more evenly (hard-cooked but no grey/green yolk) if you start your eggs in a cold pot as maggie2101 suggested. I'd also add that using room temp eggs will help with that even cooking process.

BUT a cold start will allow the whites to cook more slowly, causing them to adhere to the membrane/shell more, making them more difficult to peel. It's a dramatic difference. Boiled eggs that go straight into boiling water instead of a cold pot of water are always easier to peel. Freshness of eggs also has a big effect on how easily they peel. Really fresh eggs are more difficult to peel (darn it).

My compromise to get the best of both worlds would be to put your eggs into an already-boiling pot of water, but then very quickly (30 seconds to a minute) reduce the heat to low simmer. Simmer for about 12 minutes then run them under cold water to stop the cooking process before peeling.
IslandCityGirl, you posted this a while back, but I just thought I'd mention that I've tried your method here, of starting off with boiling water, at least a couple of times and it worked like a charm. It drives me crazy when the shells stick to and tear up the eggs. So thank you for the great tip!

Old 01-22-2016, 05:14 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,666,259 times
Right. That's the way I do mine.

Put them in cold water. Boil for 10 min. or so, drain water. Immediately add cold water and ice.
Wait for about 3 to 5 min. peel. Boom!

Old 01-22-2016, 05:19 PM

I used to use basically the method a lot of people suggest, I would just cover the eggs with cold water, bring to a boil, then take off the heat and let sit, covered, for 10-15 minutes, depending on how done you like them, then put them in cold, even icy water sometimes, to cool them down. But I still had problems with the shells adhering to the eggs.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
I haven't tried this peeling an egg with water in a glass trick yet, but how cool if it works!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkWISKfgqZ0
This is very similar to the trick I learned from Rachael Ray to peel a lot of garlic quickly. Put all the loose cloves in a bowl, cover it with another same-sized bowl (bowls with some sort of rim make it easy to hold on to), and shake vigorously. Takes the skins right off.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:04 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
In my opinion, the method has nothing to do with how easy to peal the eggs are. It could be freshness, or the diet of the chickens, or something else. I don't know.
I cook them by placing the eggs in cold water and bringing the water to a full boil. Take them off the heat, cover and rest for 10 minutes. Rinse under cold water and peel when cool.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:42 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Yesterday I read an article about putting eggs in a muffin tin and baking them for 30 minutes at 325, then putting them into cold water for 10 minutes. Has anyone ever done that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes