Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 11:16 AM

747 posts, read 840,018 times

Advertisements

I love egg foo yung but every time I have tried to make it myself it is a failure. It should be easy. Do any of you have a recipe that can be done with canned Chinese vegetables?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 11:27 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
I love egg foo yung but every time I have tried to make it myself it is a failure. It should be easy. Do any of you have a recipe that can be done with canned Chinese vegetables?
Canned Chinese vegetables are dreadful. I wouldn't even bother wasting the eggs. Sorry if I sound snippy, but it's the truth.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:56 PM

5,345 posts, read 3,216,583 times
Quote:
canned Chinese vegetables?
There's you're problem!

I don't have a recipe handy (it's so easy to make, I don't use a recipe).

Mine is simple, eggs, bean sprouts, scallions and Chinese pork (optional).

I don't think canned vegetables belong in any recipe.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:15 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
The only egg foo yung I'v ever made is basically a mini size omelet made with eggs and bean sprouts, with a little bit of Asian flavored gravy over the top. I don't remember seeing bean sprouts in the market for several years. Are they still sold? They had bacterial contamination problems with the various types of sprouts.

Mung beans are very easy to sprout for fresh bean sprouts, if you can't buy them.

I suppose you can still buy canned bean sprouts. If you use canned, rinse them well before using them and don't expect the results to be as good. They always have a canned flavor to them.

Sorry, but I've misplaced the cook book with the egg foo yung recipe that I used. It was darn good, but I can't remember the name of the cookbook, so I can't replace it. Best sweet and sour pork recipe in the entire world and I lost it. If you try to search on "Chinese cookbook" you get too many hits to even look through them.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 12-30-2015 at 01:27 PM..

Old 12-30-2015, 01:22 PM

Here's my basic place to start: Egg Foo Yung Recipe | SAVEUR

I replace the shrimp with pork or chicken. I don't bother with the water chestnuts unless I can get them fresh (NO CANNED vegies in my house). I will often use shallots instead of or in addition to the green onion. And shiitake mushrooms always are good if I have them fresh.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:33 PM

747 posts, read 840,018 times
Thanks for the feedback. I think the corn starch I see noted in recipe above might be the answer to why my cakes were not binding.
As for the canned vegetables, I spend about 150 nights a year in a motel that has a small kitchenette. Since I am only there for 2-3 nights a week, I try to have some simple recipes that can be done with minimal ingredients.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I think the corn starch I see noted in recipe above might be the answer to why my cakes were not binding.
As for the canned vegetables, I spend about 150 nights a year in a motel that has a small kitchenette. Since I am only there for 2-3 nights a week, I try to have some simple recipes that can be done with minimal ingredients.
Okay, that's a fair reason for using canned vegies. But surely frozen vegies would be better.

Or just do a cheese omelet.

I suspect the "cakes are not binding" is because you aren't using enough oil and/or that oil isn't hot enough. These things are essentially deep fried in oil.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:32 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Canned Chinese vegetables are dreadful. I wouldn't even bother wasting the eggs. Sorry if I sound snippy, but it's the truth.
I agree - all of those canned Chinese vegetable ingredients (bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, baby corn, straw mushrooms (not a veggie, I know ), etc.) taste the same. Unfortunately, most folks don't have access to the fresh version of these items.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:26 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,655,613 times
Never thought Chinese food is ever as good cooked at home...what I like about most take out is they will make it to your dietary demands...

Old 01-05-2016, 12:23 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Here's my basic place to start: Egg Foo Yung Recipe | SAVEUR

I replace the shrimp with pork or chicken. I don't bother with the water chestnuts unless I can get them fresh (NO CANNED vegies in my house). I will often use shallots instead of or in addition to the green onion. And shiitake mushrooms always are good if I have them fresh.

I can get fresh water chestnuts where we live - Chinatown is close by.
The canned ones taste better. While I like asparagus grilled, the fat white Spanish canned asparagus from Navarra is also absolutely delicious.

A blanket ban on canned vegetables just seems like ideology-driven nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes