Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 06:10 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
I could be wrong, or got these backwards. Armadillo eggs, what I thought anyway, had a slice of jalapeno and pepper jack cheese inside a pork sausage "meatball" then wrapped in bacon. Kinda inside out of the abt. What ever they are call, they are good snacks for the one running the smoker.
I can make a meal on 'em. Good stuff. Never had a chance to smoke them but will once the summer heat slows down a bit. I want them smoke by my fire not sun bake wating on the grill to get hot. Have some mequite just waiting for an excuse to burn. I'll put a bit ole pork roast on the bottom rack and cover the top on with an assortment of stuffed hot peppers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 10:21 AM

4,677 posts, read 2,061,343 times
Smile Stuffed green peppers

Does anyone have a good recipe for stuffed peppers? I love them but don't know how to make them. Thanks.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:25 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl8203 View Post
Does anyone have a good recipe for stuffed peppers? I love them but don't know how to make them. Thanks.
I don't have a real "recipe", but I do it this way:

Cut tops off peppers, rinse & parboil for a few minutes.

Cook hamburger (depending on how many peppers you have...1 lb., 2 lbs., whatever) with chopped onion to your taste. Mix burger with cooked rice...Minute Rice works fine, again to your own taste. Add can of tomato soup. If you like it really tomato-ey you can add some minced or chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce or ketchup to your taste also. Add whatever spices you like. I usually use garlic powder, a little italian seasoning, or whatever! It's like my meatloaf....I never do it the same twice! After everything is mixed together stuff those bad boys and bake at 350 until peppers are cooked through. It usually doesn't take too long!

Old 08-19-2008, 12:42 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,010,146 times
Here's how I do mine: Chop and saute one onion, two cloves of garlic, and four stalks of celery in some oil, bacon grease, etc. Brown ground meat, salt and pepper, (creole seasoning if you have some) and add gumbo sized shrimp, (tiny shrimp optional), to meat/seasoning mixture and cook for about 3 min. more and remove from heat. Add equal amounts of Italian breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese (from the can) to the meat/seasoning, (not sure how much I add 'cause I just eyeball it so somewhere between 1/2 - 1 1/4 cup) and then stuff peppers. Sprinkle a mixture of equal parts parmesan cheese and Italian bread crumbs on top. Place peppers in a baking pan with a small amount of water in the bottom and bake in oven at 350 until done.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:58 PM

55 posts, read 279,553 times
I don't cook the ground beef beforehand.
I just add a small can of tomato sauce, spices, crushed garlic.
Smoosh it all together, and stuff the pappers w/it. Bake for 45 minutes.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:56 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times
I also don't cook the meat or parboil the peppers.

Mix meat with cooked and cooled rice, chopped onion, worstershire sauce, egg,garlic powder, salt/pepper, parm cheese, breadcrumbs.

I use either tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce. Put some in bottom of pan, add stuffed peppers, top with more sauce, parm cheese. Cover/bake at 350 for 45 min.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:06 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
I also don't cook the meat or parboil the peppers.

Mix meat with cooked and cooled rice, chopped onion, worstershire sauce, egg,garlic powder, salt/pepper, parm cheese, breadcrumbs.

I use either tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce. Put some in bottom of pan, add stuffed peppers, top with more sauce, parm cheese. Cover/bake at 350 for 45 min.
This one sounds good. Think I'll try it!

Old 08-21-2008, 06:29 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,945,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
Here's how I do mine: Chop and saute one onion, two cloves of garlic, and four stalks of celery in some oil, bacon grease, etc. Brown ground meat, salt and pepper, (creole seasoning if you have some) and add gumbo sized shrimp, (tiny shrimp optional), to meat/seasoning mixture and cook for about 3 min. more and remove from heat. Add equal amounts of Italian breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese (from the can) to the meat/seasoning, (not sure how much I add 'cause I just eyeball it so somewhere between 1/2 - 1 1/4 cup) and then stuff peppers. Sprinkle a mixture of equal parts parmesan cheese and Italian bread crumbs on top. Place peppers in a baking pan with a small amount of water in the bottom and bake in oven at 350 until done.

Sounds yummy! Is it beef or sausage you use with the shrimp?

Old 08-21-2008, 11:28 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,010,146 times
Thanks HighlandsGal, just plain ole ground beef, but you've just given me an idea. I wonder how using sausage would work out. Some one mentioned adding rice and boudin already has rice in it... I think it's time to try stuffed boudin peppers!

Old 08-22-2008, 03:00 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,225,324 times
You all do a lot more work than I do. I use raw meat, uncooked rice and uncooked peppers and it comes out great.

I mix together ground beef, (and if I happen to have ground turkey I add some of that, too), uncooked rice, flavored bread crumbs, and applesauce. I will also add chopped onion if I have it handy, but often I don't.

I take the top 1/3 off the raw peppers, dice it up, and freeze it for another use. The remaining peppers I stuff with the above filling. Then I stand them up in the crock pot, side by side. Any remaining meat mixture, (which I always have), I make "meatballs" out of and add on top of the stuffed peppers.

I cover the whole thing with a can of tomato sauce and one can of tomato paste. Then I cover the entire top of that with a layer of garlic powder, (it sounds like a lot of garlic, but it isn't) and a bit of oregano.

I cook it on the low setting all day, until ready to serve. (Minimum of 8 hours/maximum 12 hours.) I initially serve one stuffed pepper and one "meatball" per person, since I have found that most people don't eat much more pepper than that.

I have, on occasion, added Worchester sauce or mustard to the meat mixture, but then it winds up tasting too much like my meatloaf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes