Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 04:21 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I have actually never done a prime rib before but will be trying this Christmas. I was going to try Chef John's method. It seems easier and takes less time? I do BBQ all the time, briskets, pork butts, turkeys, hams etc on my offset smoker.

Perfect Prime Rib of Beef with the Mysterious "Method X"
Tried this 3 times, first time was great, next 2 over cooked. Never doing this X method again. Way too expensive and important to over cook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 06:30 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Holy Sh@@ it is between $10 and 13.00 a lb here. I have only seen it anywhere under that at Aldi's and that is one thing I will not buy there. In fact we are having trouble finding done in rib roast: I had to settle for boneless rib roast this year. Only one store other than Aldi's had bone in prime rib and all they could say pretty much was: order for delivery on Christmas eve day: not even a price. It is strange because living where we do much of our meat is produced locally.
and here is one of the reasons why the industry changed in the 70's from the full carcass to ordering specific primals

say I own a local farm..,, I advertise grass fed local beef...

everyone this time of the year(in this region) wants the rib for prime rib roasts
the rib represents around only 8% of the whole critter,,,, and if you are plucking out the rib (two 7 ribs) then what do you do with the rest of the critter??? some of the stores get over 500 special orders for rib roasts... if whole carcass,,,this would be 250 critters- again,,,with just wanting the rib eye...what would I do with the rest of the critter....without losing by butt??
(this is why farms love to sell 1/2 critters to sell all the half,,,,not just the better steaks)

I do buy local grass fed beef (and this isn't graded )
but the majority are choice and prime grade ribs I can order just the rib eyes.
I can order bone in and also boneless ribs eye

one of the reasons I'm saying all this is,,,if you do go to a local place you may get sticker shock....being 14.99lb for grass fed ...all beef is grass fed, the terminology should be "grass finished"

anyways,,,, beef from the large packing plants ...pretty much charge the same to most of the warehouses.....here is the difference,,,if the company/warehouse owns the stores they can set up cost accruals,,,,to build funds to buy down loss leaders like turkeys at thanksgiving or rib roasts at Christmas....they can sell below costs...

most choice bone in ribs in this region is 5.77-7.99lb

if anyone reading this is going to order a rib roast call the butcher shop or store- be sure the store has butchers (Walmart does not) tell them exactly what you want and ask to "bone and tie" roast this is for much easier carving
usually figure 1lb-1 1/2lb per person per serving

roast uncovered do not use tinfoil..... this will steam the meat and it will taste like a chuck roast

Old 12-17-2016, 07:51 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
As long as you like your prime rib rare to medium rare, this is the PERFECT method. Never fails.

But I'm very tempted by the method suggested by Serious Eats (the article they wrote about their testing was interesting, too) Their technique woild allow medium to well done meat (a waste, imho).

http:// Perfect Prime Rib Recipe | Serious Eats
So, after salivating through this thread, I pulled a bone in prime rib from the freezer and cooked it per the Serious Eats method. It took longer than they claimed, but there's no question : this was much more tender than the full in high heat (chef John's) method I've used for years. And zero well done, grey meat at the edges - rare end to end. (The dog was disappointed as he gets the well done bits.) This is definitely my new way to cook prime rib unless I'm pressed for time.

I also tried out the serious eats yorkshire pudding recipe (using all 2% fat milk, no water). A HUGE improvement on my usually pretty good puddings. Highly recommended.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:48 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Tried this 3 times, first time was great, next 2 over cooked. Never doing this X method again. Way too expensive and important to over cook.
Just curious, did you let your roast go to room temperature and is your oven accurate? Another poster mentioned this method is good if you like it rare to medium rare. It's a long way from that to well done? I will be trying this soon and don't want to mess it up. We are using a new oven so I don't know how accurate it is. Also, we will be doing boneless and I think that will require less time than bone-in?

Old 12-24-2016, 02:09 PM

802 posts, read 643,119 times
Have mine all seasoned and resting in the fridge for tomorrow. Can't wait. Been thinking about this roast all week!
Merry Christmas, everybody!

Old 12-27-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
I did the Method X over the weekend. I happen to have a constant read wireless thermometer and found the culprit. Mine was ready in 1.5 hrs and not 2 as the recipe states. I took it out as soon as it read 125. If I would have left it in the full 2 hours it would have been overcooked. I did a 12LB boneless and the boneless part may have had something to do with it? Turned out great but since the recipe says do not open the oven and you can't take a temperature reading unless you open the oven, well there you go. I also found out that my oven does not stay right at a steady 500. It probably averages 500. It would go to 525 for a while then 475 and bounce back and forth.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:03 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,042,790 times
Quote:
I did the Method X over the weekend. I happen to have a constant read wireless thermometer and found the culprit. Mine was ready in 1.5 hrs and not 2 as the recipe states. I took it out as soon as it read 125. If I would have left it in the full 2 hours it would have been overcooked. I did a 12LB boneless and the boneless part may have had something to do with it? Turned out great but since the recipe says do not open the oven and you can't take a temperature reading unless you open the oven, well there you go. I also found out that my oven does not stay right at a steady 500. It probably averages 500. It would go to 525 for a while then 475 and bounce back and forth.

FYI- There are digital thermometers with a heatproof cord so that you can leave the probe in the food and read internal temps from outside the oven.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
FYI- There are digital thermometers with a heatproof cord so that you can leave the probe in the food and read internal temps from outside the oven.
Mine does a little more than that. This is what I have and its made to do BBQ in smokers. You have one probe for the meat and one for the bbq pit. Works great. I've had it for several years.

Maverick Et-732 Remote Bbq Smoker Thermometer

Old 12-28-2016, 11:28 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,042,790 times
Quote:
Mine does a little more than that. This is what I have and its made to do BBQ in smokers. You have one probe for the meat and one for the bbq pit. Works great. I've had it for several years.

Maverick Et-732 Remote Bbq Smoker Thermometer

Went back to your original post. I see, you were using your fancy thermometer and found out your oven fluctuates. I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes.

That is a very cool thermometer. When the day comes that I get my smoker I will definitely be looking out for one of those.

Outside of a professional or very high end oven, that range of fluctuation you mentioned seems about right, no? I would think one tighter than that and it would be constantly powering on and off.

Thanks for the clarification and the link. Happy New Year!

Last edited by ralphfr; 12-28-2016 at 11:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes