Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 01:16 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,168 times

Advertisements

Hate to brag,but after 35 years in the restaurant business and many years of experiments I have finally settled on the best way to cook prime rib.....and I've tried them all.
I've tried dry aging,rock salt encrusting,500 degree blasting,smoking and slow cooking just to name a few.
Over the years I've served the industry favorite called the 109 rib with the fat cap tied on with a net,regular bone in 7 rib roasts,usually called export ribs as well as regular rib eyes which most people serve at home and in most restaurants.I'm using export ribs in my restaurant right now because they are a big favorite,but a little bit of work to serve on and off the bone.
Waiting with baited breath? ok,ok,I'll share it with you.
I buy from a commercial meat house but Costco or any store is ok......Don't really need USDA Prime.Get USDA Choice but look it over and make sure there is nice marbling throughout.
Actually,even a USDA Select is not bad if there is good marbling.
Cover it in coarse salt over night in the fridge.
Take it out in the morning,clean off the salt and let it sit at least till noon to reach room temperature
Rub with veggie oil and season with pepper,garlic salt and a few herbs if you have some
Place in a roasting pan and cook at 200 degrees for roughly 4 hours depending on the size but CHECK WITH A MEAT THERMOMETER every now and then,
It will continue to cook another 5 degrees after it comes out of the oven.
Take it out at 120 for rare 130 for medium rare and 140 for medium to medium well
Cover the roast with foil and let it sit for an hour or two before serving.
Now....preheat the oven to 450 remove the foil and cook again for 15 minutes.......this will finish it off with a nice crust and reheat just right.
It's ok to use au jus mix or beef broth but check for taste and add water if it's too strong.
The slow cooking and 450 degree finish cause the tenderness and flavor to be exaggerated.
Your guests will be impressed....promise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 01:21 PM

802 posts, read 642,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
Hate to brag,but after 35 years in the restaurant business and many years of experiments I have finally settled on the best way to cook prime rib.....and I've tried them all.
I've tried dry aging,rock salt encrusting,500 degree blasting,smoking and slow cooking just to name a few.
Over the years I've served the industry favorite called the 109 rib with the fat cap tied on with a net,regular bone in 7 rib roasts,usually called export ribs as well as regular rib eyes which most people serve at home and in most restaurants.I'm using export ribs in my restaurant right now because they are a big favorite,but a little bit of work to serve on and off the bone.
I buy from a commercial meat house but Costco or any store is ok......Don't really need USDA Prime.Get USDA Choice but look it over and make sure there is nice marbling throughout.
Take it out in the morning,clean off the salt and let it sit at least till noon to reach room temperature
Rub with veggie oil and season with pepper,garlic salt and a few herbs if you have some
Place in a roasting pan and cook at 200 degrees for roughly 4 hours depending on the size but CHECK WITH A MEAT THERMOMETER every now and then,
Take it out at 120 for rare 130 for medium rare and 140 for medium to medium well
Now....preheat the oven to 450 remove the foil and cook again for 15 minutes.......this will finish it off with a nice crust and reheat just right.
It's ok to use au jus mix or beef broth but check for taste and add water if it's too strong.
The slow cooking and 450 degree finish cause the tenderness and flavor to be exaggerated.
I saw this on Chowhound several years ago. The only way I prepare prime rib now. It is, indeed, excellent! Cooking one for Thanksgiving!

Old 10-27-2016, 01:44 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,450,103 times
I appreciate the info - it's very, VERY rare that we have it, but when we do, I'm always a nervous wreck - hopefully this will get me over that "hump".

Old 10-27-2016, 01:44 PM

23,515 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Thanks for sharing!

Old 10-27-2016, 01:46 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times
Saved this to show the wife later.
Thanks

Old 10-27-2016, 02:04 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Do yourself a favor and get a meat thermometer like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Precis...at+thermometer

No need to let the heat out of the oven "every now and then," and it alerts you when the meat has reached the desired temp.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:47 PM

483 posts, read 417,998 times
Thank-you OP for sharing the recipe... Rep.
We big prime rib roasts eater here..

Have a a few times a year especially either Xmas or NYE.

Old 10-27-2016, 04:22 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
Quote:

I boned and tied a 14 rib roasts today going on a stores anniversary sale...

thanks for the info!!

I usually avoid tinfoil over a rib roast.....if it "steams" it in the least it can taste like a chuck roast...

but then again....its not high heat

I may give this a try ,,,I love rib roasts......I tend to eat only the roast....and go after the bones first

here is a prime rib crown roast I made last yr for a special order , ive never seen one so I improvised

King of Prime Rib-beef-crown-roast.jpg

the op made a good statement....that for the more frugal amongst us that cant afford a high ticket prime grade roast,,,,you can buy a select grade..
these are economical and also this is a structure muscle...not a working muscle,,,,,so it is softer muscle tissue (more tender) so select is still a good option..

ive seen many people overcook a prime or choice grade and be far more tough than cooking a select grade just right

Old 10-27-2016, 06:51 PM

483 posts, read 417,998 times
Pepper (oh and herbs) encrusted primerib.
(Smoked n blackened.. hubby grilled it at Xmas)

1 inch smoke (grey?) ring.. very proper.
Attached Thumbnails
King of Prime Rib-received_1303582193009332.jpeg   King of Prime Rib-received_1303582513009300.jpeg  

Old 10-27-2016, 10:02 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romaneats View Post
...1 inch smoke (grey?) ring...
My smoke rings are a deep cherry-red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes