Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 11:07 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,044 times

Advertisements

I don't happen to have lemon juice handy but I have one of those plastic bottles of lime juice in the frig. So what is the difference in taste between the two juices as it would apply to a recipe? I guess the title of this post could have read 'would you use lime juice instead of lemon juice if the recipe called for lemon juice'.(not much different than original title)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 11:13 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
I would never use those plastic bottles at all.

Limes generally produce a slightly more bitter taste and lemon juice adds more sourness. The difference can be pronounced or negligible, it depends largely on what you're using it for.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:00 PM

743 posts, read 875,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post

Limes generally produce a slightly more bitter taste and lemon juice adds more sourness. The difference can be pronounced or negligible, it depends largely on what you're using it for.
This. Those little bottles are crap. Yes, fresh is more expensive, but they will last a long time in your refrigerator until ready to use. Throw those bottles away.

To answer your question: yes, I have used lime in the place of lemon, but it really depends on the application and flavor profile of the dish. It would be better to tell us the recipe along with the question.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:10 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
I wouldn't use lime when making lemon chicken.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:27 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,450,103 times
It would depend on what you were making. What's the recipe you're talking about?

Old 02-17-2017, 12:36 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
This. Those little bottles are crap. Yes, fresh is more expensive, but they will last a long time in your refrigerator until ready to use. Throw those bottles away.
Another vote for freshly squeezed. I am most likely to substitute lime juice (and zest) for lemon juice when I make ceviche, but I would not hesitate to use it instead of lemon juice in anything I can think of.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:40 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
OP: Use whatever juice you have available whether it be fresh or in a bottle *some people do not keep fresh lemons and limes around the house*.
Personally I will not substitute one juice for the other and if I did not have either I would omit it from the recipe.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:43 PM

711 posts, read 687,885 times
Depends on the context of the recipe. Many times the lemon or lime juice is a "finisher" and it makes a major difference in the taste of the dish.

Keep in mind too OP that if you use a different ingredient the flavor of the finished product may change radically. I hate reading reviews where people talk about swapping out major ingredients for something else and then didn't like the result of the recipe.

And yes, fresh really IS always best.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:47 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,276 times
I'm not a strict cook so I've used close-enough substitutes many times.

Obviously, it depends on what you're making. If I was making a lemon cake, for example, I would stick to fresh lemon juice. But for pretty much anything else I've made in the past such as sweet & sour pork, fish with lemon butter sauce, etc, I've used fresh lime / fresh lemon / bottle kind - based on what I had handy at the time. No harm done.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:49 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
I was going to ask this myself since strangely enough, limes are abundant and super-cheap here, AND very juicy. But no lemons.

I tried making mayo once with limes instead of lemons and it didn't work. I didn't dare try again. Maybe limes don't have the acid lemons do. So it's back to vinegar.

I think in recipes, I would substitute limes. But more experimenting is required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes