Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 11:40 AM

4 posts, read 5,654 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any one pot skillet recipes they can share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 07:08 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,292,002 times
I just made this as an easy weeknight meal last night. It was pretty good for something that required little effort and was quick to make. The only thing I would recommend changing is marinating the chicken in the Italian dressing the night before instead of cooking it in the dressing in the pan.

https://www.bettycrocker.com/videos/...nd-white-beans

I also tried making this one last week (been looking for new quick weeknight meals). This is also pretty good. As an addition I'd recommend diced avocados as a topping if you like them.

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes...5-10f3a641a7cb

If you're in the mood for beef this is another quick one I enjoyed. I actually have a cookbook all of these are in but you can find them on the web.

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes...9-d7384acbbedb

Can you tell I use Betty Crocker a lot for easy recipes? I find that they are good base recipes that can be tweaked to your personal preferences.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:15 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
I don't remember where I got this "skillet dish " recipe but it got me though my first year of marriage. You can vary the type of ground meat and vegetables.

SKILLET DISH

2 T fat
3/4 cup rice
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 lb ground beef
1 lb can tomatoes
dash pepper
2 t salt
1 t sugar
1 t Worcestershire sauce
1 cup bouilion

Brown rice slowly in 2 t fat in cast iron skillet with cover. Add onion, celery, ground beef. Brown lightly. Add rest of ingredients, cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 45 minutes. Serves 4.

I'm printing this out myself because the index card I wrote it on 40 years ago is stained and hard to read!

Old 03-28-2017, 02:11 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Way back when DH was drafted into the Army and we were poor as church mice another military wife from TX told me about 'tatoes and eggs. We ate many meals of this and still enjoy it from time to time.

Dice and fry potatoes in whatever type of grease you use along with sliced onions and salt and pepper. When they are done, drain off the grease, scramble four or five eggs, pour into hot skillet with vegetables and gently stir.

We ate it with ketchup and "for special" I'd break a few pieces of fried bacon in.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:13 AM

939 posts, read 788,361 times
Here's a couple of one skillet dinners.

I haven't tried either one but the skillet lasagna looks good.

I never rinse pasta after cooking but since there is almost no liquid in the pan I wonder if quickly pre-rinsing the noodles before cooking in this recipe might make a positive difference?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR5AfZcSxm0

Old 06-11-2017, 02:54 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,838 times
I do a pasta scramble, or it could be a variation of a skillet lasagna-

basically fry hot italian sausage and a little ground beef or turkey with diced onions, mushroom, and bell pepper add sphagetti sauce and top it with pasta rigatoni, or elbow macaroni and grated cheese (I use three cheese, and add grated romano on top). I guess its not technically one pot cause you need to boil the noodles separately (although you can get no boil lasagna noodles which might work if you cover the pan with a tight lid and simmer on low for a while, but I haven't tried that).

Also a nice touch is adding pesto to the sautéing stage, and fresh basil to the sauce (its summer so plenty of basil in my garden!).

But thats my easy Italian dinner...
Made it tonight for a friend with a new baby!
Attached Thumbnails
Best Skillet Recipes-screen-shot-2017-06-11-1.52.22  

Old 06-11-2017, 04:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Of course one of the very old recipes from way back would have to be plain old hash. Mom would chop up a couple of potatoes, and onions. Fry them with some bacon grease and then add left over roast beef she had cubed or broken up. To keep it moist while cooking she would add left over gravy. that was pretty much it except for a little salt and pepper. I still do this about once a year for old time sake.

Another one, which we have often is sauteed bok choy. I clean baby bok choy well, making sure the dirt is all removed. Then I heat a little olive oil in the skillet, add chopped onions, garlic, and soy sauce or a little salt and some ginger if I have any. When the onions are almost done I add the chopped bok choy. Only cook it a couple of minute, 5 at the most and a little rice vinegar or lemon juice before serving. If you want to make thi a main dish, add pulled pork.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:35 PM

939 posts, read 788,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post

Looks good, like you finished it off in the oven?

Old 06-14-2017, 04:50 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
One of my mom's classic recipes was just called Hot Dogs and Potatoes:

Slice or chop enough potatoes to half-fill your skillet, which should be waiting with a layer of sizzling butter or coconut oil in the bottom. Fry up the taters over Med-High heat with a goodly dose of instant minced onion. When the taters are starting to brown, stir in a whole package of sliced hotdogs, preferably Eckrich. Add S&P if you want, or you can wait until cooking is done. Turn the mixture over a few more times before adding less than 1/4 cup of water and quickly covering the skillet with a tight-fitting lid. Turn heat down to Low and simmer 25 minutes. Turn over the mixture one more time, add a few tablespoons more water, cover and simmer 20 more minutes.

So good.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:15 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Spaghetti and eggs Frittata:

Use any left over spaghetti plain no sauces. ( no short pasta) about 1/2 pound will do.
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.

1 large chopped onion ( I like sweet ones)
any vegetable you like chopped such as broccoli, spinach or zucchini
6 large eggs beaten with a bit of milk.
3 Tbsp. grated cheese.

Sauté onions in 1 Tbsp. olive oil until tender. Add vegetables and sauté until tender. Next add leftover cooked spaghetti to skillet and toss. pour egg mixture on top and sprinkle grated cheese. let cook on stove 5 minutes. Place entire skillet in the oven for at least 25 minutes or until frittata is set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes