Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 04:58 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Okay but I doubt you could if I used 1/2 sugar and 1/2 Xylitol. And then also using unsweetened applesauce gives it the nice sweet taste as well, even though it is unsweetened.
Well, I'm thin, active, and muscular, so I'll take a slice of the original.

I certainly have no problem with people making "healthy" versions of recipes, but don't try to fool others into trying them if they don't wish to. I don't like cherry pie these days because someone made a "healthy" version and served it as a "watch this, no one will ever know" dessert. Well, I found it disgusting, and it tainted my love of cherry pie to this day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 05:20 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,705,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post

I certainly have no problem with people making "healthy" versions of recipes, but don't try to fool others into trying them if they don't wish to. I don't like cherry pie these days because someone made a "healthy" version and served it as a "watch this, no one will ever know" dessert. Well, I found it disgusting, and it tainted my love of cherry pie to this day.
Hey, no problem, but just for the record, I have never had to, nor attempted to, "fool" anyone.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:27 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post

Quote:
Hey, no problem, but just for the record, I have never had to, nor attempted to, "fool" anyone.
Hey, C-f, I'll hold him down and you shove that carrot cake down DG's throat. He'll like it. Really, you sound like you know what you're doing to make it just as good.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:35 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Hey, C-f, I'll hold him down and you shove that carrot cake down DG's throat. He'll like it. Really, you sound like you know what you're doing to make it just as good.
Hey, get that away from me. I told you I didn't want to <mmmf> <momp> <mmm> <ommm> <cough>.

I'm sure many people in this forum make very tasty and healthful desserts, and I would never state they weren't good without tasting them. After that, all bets are off.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:38 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Hahahaahaha!!! And here comes the non-dairy whipped cream. IN A CAN!

Old 09-19-2017, 05:40 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
And, unfortunately, I would have to disagree with that. I have had many forms of the original recipes for carrot cake over the years and my "healthified" versions that I have made are just as good or there is no way that I would even eat them. I have served it to many people and also have taken it to many functions and people love it and can not tell the difference.

Super moist and full of flavor.
Whatever you believe must be true however, there are those of us who get instant migraines from some
*healthified version*. In cases like this though I have no problem throwing up on your brand new carpet because the heathified version gave me such a severe migraine it caused vomiting.
Hopefully you warn people about your *healthified versions ingredients* before you serve them.
bylpph

Old 09-19-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Whatever you believe must be true however, there are those of us who get instant migraines from some
*healthified version*. In cases like this though I have no problem throwing up on your brand new carpet because the heathified version gave me such a severe migraine it caused vomiting.
Hopefully you warn people about your *healthified versions ingredients* before you serve them.
bylpph
I don't believe I said anywhere that everyone would like it nor that everyone is "forced" to try any of my "healthified" versions, did I? Not even close. And I highly doubt that you would get deathly ill using unsweetened apple sauce, coconut oil. grapeseed oil or Neufchâtel cheese, for that matter. So I assume that there is one ingredient that I happened to mention that is apparently causing you to get ill. And speaking of ill, you could have seriously spared us the details of your experience, especially in a food forum, and we would have believed you, I am sure.

But, then again, this thread was specifically asking for a "healthier way to make carrot cake" and that is exactly what I contributed to by giving many different options to do so. So shoot me.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:07 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Loaded with what kind of fat? The recipe I used to have only called for oil, which is healthy fat, and didn't require much sugar. Carrots are naturally sweet, to an extent, so not much additional sugar is required. But OP, you could experiment with cooking with stevia. It's highly concentrated, so it doesn't take much at all to achieve the same level of sweetness as you'd need when using sugar.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Loaded with what kind of fat? The recipe I used to have only called for oil, which is healthy fat, and didn't require much sugar. Carrots are naturally sweet, to an extent, so not much additional sugar is required. But OP, you could experiment with cooking with stevia. It's highly concentrated, so it doesn't take much at all to achieve the same level of sweetness as you'd need when using sugar.
I don't think it is just about the fat. There are calories as well and also finding healthier options to use instead of AP flour, sugar, etc and even eggs for that matter. Not everyone needs nor wants healthier versions and so be it, but this thread is specifically asking about ways to healthify a recipe.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:27 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,419,949 times
Make the regular recipe and eat a very tiny piece.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes