Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 07:50 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,440,789 times

Advertisements

I’ll preface this by saying that I did not eat a lot of rice until recent years. When I did eat it, I only cooked white rice, because brown rice took forever to cook.

When I started eating rice again, I cooked brown rice only because I prefer the flavor, and for some reason it didn’t seem to take as long to cook as in the past. I just bought the house brand where I did most of my grocery shopping. The brown rice took no longer to cook than white rice, which was about 20 minutes for the amount of rice that I want.

I’m shopping elsewhere and now using that store’s house brand of brown rice and it takes forever to cook! In fact, once the water is soaked up, the rice is still hard and I need to add more water, and overall cooking time is about 40 minutes. I use the standard ratio, twice as much water as rice.

What is happening? Is it the different brand of rice, or is it old rice? I just cook rice in a pan, I don’t want to get a rice cooker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 07:56 PM

3,974 posts, read 5,168,599 times
Brown rice usually takes 40-45 minutes to cook. Your water to rice ratio is the same as I use, so it isn't that. Are you using a lid on the pan? How high of heat are you using?

Old 10-07-2018, 08:04 PM

1,584 posts, read 982,461 times
I’ve always made it three to one, water to dry brown rice, when I cook it. Two to one works for dry white rice, but not dry brown rice in my experience. Also, I put the rice and water and salt together and bring it to a boil, rather than boiling the water and adding the dry rice then.

And st33lcas3’s 40-45 minutes is pretty much my experience with cooking brown rice. It might perhaps take less time for some kinds of brown rice, but not the kinds I’ve bought. This poster is also right about keeping the lid on the pot, and cooking it over low heat on the stove is wise. Keep an eye out, as it usually boils over once during the process.

Add a little salt to the water, too, regardless of the type of rice you cook.

Hope this works for you. Good luck!

Last edited by bachslunch; 10-07-2018 at 08:23 PM..

Old 10-07-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Brown rice usually takes 40-45 minutes to cook. Your water to rice ratio is the same as I use, so it isn't that. Are you using a lid on the pan? How high of heat are you using?

Yes, I use a lid, and start the rice on high heat, then lower to medium after it starts boiling. I have an electric stove that I’m still not used to, after cooking on natural gas all of my life. I just don’t know why the first brand of brown rice that I was using cooked so quickly. I thought there had been some amazing change in brown rice!

Old 10-08-2018, 06:23 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,423,827 times
I've never found a brown rice that didn't take 40~45min (accidentally bought "quick cook" brown recently, claims 25~30 but really takes 40). I boil my water and use bullion, then add the rice and immediately turn it from high to just above simmer on my electric. Zero boil-overs, ever. Once the timer hits, I then just set the pot to a different burner and leave it. Normally I'm making rice an hour or two ahead of time, just to have it out of the way. It always keeps well like this, and remains hot for quite some time. Probably lends to additional cooking too, but without scorching the bottom.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:50 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
Were they different types of rice? For example, I find that brown basmati takes a lot less time than a short grain brown.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:52 AM

3,974 posts, read 5,168,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Yes, I use a lid, and start the rice on high heat, then lower to medium after it starts boiling. I have an electric stove that I’m still not used to, after cooking on natural gas all of my life. I just don’t know why the first brand of brown rice that I was using cooked so quickly. I thought there had been some amazing change in brown rice!
Try lowering the heat to low and let the rice simmer.

Old 10-08-2018, 08:59 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times
Never seem brown rice that cooked less than 40 min or so...

in case you change your mind...rice cookers cook rice perfect each time. And the appliance can be used in other ways too.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Were they different types of rice? For example, I find that brown basmati takes a lot less time than a short grain brown.
I don’t think so, just the house brand, generic brown rice, that is all the package said.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
in case you change your mind...rice cookers cook rice perfect each time. And the appliance can be used in other ways too.

What other ways are there to use a rice cooker? I have a minimum of kitchen gadgets, that is more my daughter’s thing. I’m trying to keep it simple and acquire less. But I do like brown rice, just am baffled that what I bought before cooked so quickly. BTW, it was Walmart’s Great Value brand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes