Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 11:37 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times

Advertisements

How do you get out the acidity/tartness/sharpness/sourness from liquids like wines, and citruc juices like lemon?

I try to make those pan sauce that requires wine or lemon juice. I like these because you can use same pan you cook meat in. There is less cleaning afterwards.

I try to use non alcoholic wine. Is it just about reducing it further? If I reduce too much, wont there be less juices for the sauce. I also like to use lemon juice from bottle instead of a fresh lemon fruit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 06:07 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I don’t know anything about non alcohol wine, but if you cook down regular wine properly, the alcohol cooks off. I would definitely switch to regular wine. If you aren’t a wine drinker, i think you can buy small bottles so you don’t waste a big bottle. In general, though, if I need to take the bite out of something too sour I add a bit of honey, or balsamic vinegar.

In something like a chicken piccata, where you don’t want a sweet taste, you could cook the wine way down, then add some broth and butter to make more sauce. I just had this in a restaurant where they did not cook down the sauce enough and it was way too watery and sour.

Last edited by gentlearts; 09-14-2019 at 06:20 AM..

Old 09-14-2019, 06:10 AM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
salt.

Old 09-14-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
salt.
In case I add too much salt, how do I neutralize saltiness?

Salt and Pepper often accompany one another. Do the two neutralize each other?

Old 09-16-2019, 11:43 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
In case I add too much salt, how do I neutralize saltiness?

Salt and Pepper often accompany one another. Do the two neutralize each other?

No. Salt enhances the taste of anything it is added to as well as making the food, well, saltier. Pepper is its own flavor and has been used for centuries to cover up other flavors -- like the taste of meat that has gotten a little gamey.

Normally, to neutralize acidity or tartness, you cancel it out with something sweet -- you add fresh, canned or dried fruit to a Detroit-style BBQ sauce, for instance, balanced with salt and vinegar.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:30 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
No. Salt enhances the taste of anything it is added to as well as making the food, well, saltier. Pepper is its own flavor and has been used for centuries to cover up other flavors -- like the taste of meat that has gotten a little gamey.

Normally, to neutralize acidity or tartness, you cancel it out with something sweet -- you add fresh, canned or dried fruit to a Detroit-style BBQ sauce, for instance, balanced with salt and vinegar.
I was also going to say sweet but the question remains, why use the sour ingredients to begin with if you want to cancel them out. Makes no sense. If you want to cancel out salt, you could also use sweet or more of other ingredients in the recipe. If your vegetable soup is too salty, add water and more vegetables.

As for the sauce the OP mentioned, use LESS of the lemon juice or use a sweet(er) wine.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
I have to wonder why, if you do not like the tartness would you use sour foods or beverages? Most people do not want to get rid of the tartness, but for those who do choose other flavors; Instead of wine, try grape juice, instead of lemon juice why not orange?

Old 09-17-2019, 02:03 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
It sounds as if you intended some acidity but wound up with too much. Follow recipe directions; don't just sling the ingredients in there without measuring.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have to wonder why, if you do not like the tartness would you use sour foods or beverages? Most people do not want to get rid of the tartness, but for those who do choose other flavors; Instead of wine, try grape juice, instead of lemon juice why not orange?
Isnt the wine a more concentrated grape juice. I will try the orange juice. Can you use lemonade?

Old 09-19-2019, 06:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Isnt the wine a more concentrated grape juice. I will try the orange juice. Can you use lemonade?
Yes, pretty much that is what it is. Well actually it is formented (spelling) grape juice but has a totally different flavor and yes, I would imagine you could use lemonade as it would not taste as tart as pure lemon juice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes