Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2010, 04:19 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times

Advertisements

In today's paper was a recipe called Spinach and Mushroom Panade. It looks like a perfect side dish for the holidays, or even a Sunday supper by itself. I'm soo trying it.

Printed from Relishmag.com on 11/13/2010
Spinach and Mushroom Panade

The chewier the bread the better, so seek out a good artisan loaf.

Ingredients
10 (½-inch) slices country-style sourdough bread (about 12 ounces)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
2 large yellow onions, chopped
1 pound mushrooms, rinsed, stems trimmed and sliced ¼-inch thick
2 garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
1½ teaspoons salt
Coarsely ground black pepper
1 (16-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
1½ cups grated gruyère or Swiss cheese, divided
3 to 4 cups homemade or canned reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Tear bread into 1-inch pieces and toast until lightly browned, stirring once, 12 to 15 minutes.
3. Heat oil and butter over medium heat in a 12-inch sauté pan or skillet. When butter melts, add onions and cook 10 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high; add mushrooms, garlic, wine or broth, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook until liquid evaporates and mushrooms shrink, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in spinach.
4. Coat a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Place half the bread in pan. Distribute half the onion mixture over bread and sprinkle on half the cheese. Repeat layers.
5. Slowly pour 2 cups broth over top, allowing bread to soak up broth and pressing with the back of a spoon. Add remaining broth until it reaches 1 inch below the pan’s rim.
7. Cover pan with aluminum foil and place on a baking sheet to catch drips. Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake 35 to 45 minutes, until bubbling, puffed and deep golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Serves 12.

Recipe by Lynne Sampson Curry

Nutritional Information
Per serving: 190 calories, 7g fat, 20mg chol., 9g prot., 19g carbs., 1g fiber, 720mg sodium.
Relish is a division of Publishing Group of America, Inc. All content within this site is ©2006 of Publishing Group of America unless otherwise noted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 05:13 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,426,097 times
I'm not a big lover of mushrooms on their own but this combo does sound really good.
i'd have to wait until I had an adventurous eater over berfore making it but I am going to copy it to my recipe folder.
Thanks..

Old 11-13-2010, 07:23 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,816,724 times
Yum, that sounds wonderful. I am always trying to find recipes that use spinach and this one looks like something my family would eat.

Thanks for sharing it!

Old 11-13-2010, 07:30 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,904,022 times
Yes, that does sound good! It would be a great alternative for stuffing, which my family doesn't care for. On the other hand, they don't like spinach, either. I'd still like to try this though, just maybe use half the spinach. Anything with gruyere is worth trying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes