Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 05:28 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,815,620 times

Advertisements

Not much has changed but lunch. My grab something lunches are history and we eat together with the works. The company is well worth the fuss.

A mod will probably move this -

I answered my mother's question on how to bake a lemon cake with the least effort. Cake mix!!!! So I went on line and found a Betty Crocker recipe.

1 box of lemon cake mix
3 eggs
3 ounces cream cheese
1 cup milk
Grated lemon cest
325 preheated, 5x9 pan greased on the bottom only

Lemon juice and powdered sugar for frosting.

SO who is a very harsh critic LIKED it.

Next time it will be two loaf pans which means smaller slices and one for someone else or the freezer.

I was looking for a picture of a mix for her as that is her easiest way to shop. That mix had a best by date of two houses ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2020, 06:55 AM

1,371 posts, read 666,913 times
We're cooking and eating pretty much like we normally do, except we used to go out for breakfast at least once on weekends. Mostly cooking, occasional dinners out or takeout. We've gotten takeout a few times since this started from tried and true places, but have mostly been cooking. We have a lot of meats in deep freeze and fridge freezers (2) and had been trying to clean them out before, so have been buying produce and other things to make meals. We plan out some meals and make a list, but are prepared to change depending on what's in store. Went 13 days before last grocery trip and will go at least that long or longer before the next. We use up the fresh leafy/soft produce first, then go to the root veges or frozen after.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:12 AM

50,341 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Tonight our dentist is sponsoring a pop up dinner from one of the area upscale restaurants. I ordered it online for pickup at 5:00 at our dentists office. I’m glad to support a restaurant, and our dentist is partnering with another dentist, and they will each contribute $2. a dinner to the local front line medical workers.

Old 04-09-2020, 12:01 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,482,437 times
I'm cooking like crazy during this quarantine. My family is hungry all the time so I'm making way more food than I usually cook. I make large quantities of food that are supposed to be enough to feed 20 people. Yet my family of 5 polishes these off in a day.

I find myself having to substitute for ingredients I can't find, i.e., replacing mozzarella cheese with cheddar; lemon juice for vinegar; fresh whiting fish for frozen pollock; etc.

Some of the things I've made are below:

Beef stew
Soups
Lasagna
Eggplant parmigiana
Taco lasagna
Chana masala (curried chick pea stew)
Hamburgers
Shepherd's pie
Chicken pot pies
Beef stroganoff
Orange chicken
Tuna casserole
Spaghetti & meatballs
Quiches
Turkey chili
Stewed fish & rice
Breakfast casseroles with bacon, egg, and cheese
Apple pie
Brownies
etc.

Old 04-09-2020, 01:14 PM

50,341 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I’m operating normally so far. My freezer is still pretty full of meat and I go to the store for produce and a few things once a week.
What will most likely happen eventually, is I’ll have to cook some large cuts of meat that I was saving for if I had company. There is just the two of us, so a brisket or a small turkey will last long enough to get sick of.

Old 04-09-2020, 01:28 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,979,764 times
I did a corned beef in my crockpot this past weekend, and have been making good use of my toaster oven to broil small cuts of meat and fish as well as baking winter squash. Next up: a big pot of multi-been soup.

I may swing by the grocery store to pick up a gallon of milk and some salad greens this weekend, but other than that I'm pretty well set.

Old 04-09-2020, 01:48 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
We have replenished some protein, but I was unable to get dried beans on my latest food delivery. I still have some black-eyed peas and some miscellaneous dried beans that are leftovers. So I can cook two more pots of beans. I asked for 4 bone in pork chops, but got instead 10 boneless chops! I am thinking several stir fry meals will be forthcoming. I repackaged the chops in twos, before freezing. And I asked for a chicken, and wowee did I get a chicken! It is huge. I’ll roast it and we’ll eat it for several meals.

I am cooking much the same as always, but I find I am relying on sandwiches more, and my meals are simpler. Today for lunch I made salad bowls with greens and protein with buttered bread alongside.

On a happy note for me, I replenished my dark chocolate!

We are considering how best to replenish our dwindling coffee bean supply! Drive through Starbucks? Order from Fred Meyer next week? Visit Costco? Still deciding.

By the way, Costco is another food delivery source in some areas. They seem to be able to deliver other items than food also. Order $75 of merch, and get free 2 day delivery.

Old 04-10-2020, 04:59 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,156,686 times
I made a pumpkin rice pudding yesterday.. About three cups cooked rice, about three cups pumpkin, about 1/2 cup brown sugar, about 1and1/2 cups chopped walnuts, two egg yolks and pumpkin spices (I used 1/4 t clove, 1/2 t allspice, 1 t cinnamon, 1 t ginger and about 1 t vanilla extract)

Beat all of this together well, then fold in the two beaten egg whites (soft peaks) Microwave in a covered, buttered casserole at about 70% power for about 20 minutes until firm in center when wiggled. (this can be done in 10 minute increments) Allow to cool uncovered.

All the recipes I saw on line called for milk (even those using cooked rice) of which I did not have enough to put into a pudding. This turned out very nice.

Old 04-11-2020, 04:54 AM

1,199 posts, read 659,740 times
I've been cooking every night for years, rarely eat out anyway so no change for me other than not being able to find some items I am used to cooking with.

Some common dishes I make:

baked or steamed potato (skin on) with roasted broccoli, black beans, shredded block of aged cheddar

spaghetti with homemade tomato sauce simmered with red lentils and diced vegetables (eg zucchini, green peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes...)

roasted sweet potato, Brussels sprouts, chickpeas over brown rice

Israeli couscous with broccoli, white bean, portobello mushrooms, onion

Lemon cornmeal pancakes with fresh blueberry compote, and eggs/spinach on the side

Fried eggs, kale, carrots, potatoes over brown rice or millet

pitas with roasted red pepper strips, zucchini, yellow squash, onion, kalamati or black olives, feta, olive oil

salad made up of arugula and spinach leaves, dried cranberry, pecans, smoked lake trout, feta or goat cheese, maple syrup/extra virgin cold pressed olive oil/balsamic vinegar dressing

baked walleye with butter/lemon juice fresh parsley and steamed rutabaga and carrots and some spinach

Many more but these are simple weeknight dinners

Old 04-11-2020, 05:06 AM

3,203 posts, read 2,482,566 times
We really don’t dine out because it is expensive and we prefer to stay home unless it is for birthdays or anniversaries. My DH and I cook so we alternate cooking want each other us best at. Or, we cook our own meals.

Lately, it has been home made soups, mac n cheese, sandwiches, stuffed ravioli with mixed veggies and Alfredo sauce, baked potatoes, potato salad, baked chicken with veggie side dish, scalloped potatoes, oatmeal raisin cookies, scrambled eggs and ham or vegetarian sausage, etc. Nothing exciting but cheap and nutritious. We are using up our stored potatoes, onions and squash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes