Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 05:40 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times

Advertisements

Once you try it, you won’t go back. Perfect, fluffy rice.

Dump your rice into pot of boiling, salted water, and simmer until it reaches the desired tenderness. Drain with a strainer (I did not rinse it) and put it back into the pot, off the heat.

I used Jasmine rice, but I don’t suppose it matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2020, 06:48 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Once you try it, you won’t go back. Perfect, fluffy rice.

Dump your rice into pot of boiling, salted water, and simmer until it reaches the desired tenderness. Drain with a strainer (I did not rinse it) and put it back into the pot, off the heat.

I used Jasmine rice, but I don’t suppose it matters.
Ballpark, do you remember how many minutes you cooked it? And how many servings would you say you were cooking?

Old 06-02-2020, 07:04 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
That's how I cook my rice. Is that a revelation? How others cook their rice then? I don't drain it, though. The water is all absorbed.
Works if you have some cooking experience. All guesses are estimated, but seldom, if ever, wrong.
I also use other method:
Cover the rice with boiling, salted water, cook for a minute or two till the water is absorbed, add a spoon of butter, stir and then put the pot in bed and cover with a comforter. It will be done in 10 min or so, and fluffy every time. It's also a great method to keep it warm to serve later.

Last edited by elnina; 06-02-2020 at 07:13 AM..

Old 06-02-2020, 07:09 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,012,558 times
I've cooked my rice that way for 50 years.

Old 06-02-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Ballpark, do you remember how many minutes you cooked it? And how many servings would you say you were cooking?
I think it was about 15-20 minutes. It makes no difference how much, or how little rice you make, the method is the same.....just like if you are cooking a box of spaghetti, or a half. I made a cup of rice in about a 3 qt pan of water. A cup of rice makes 2-4 servings.

When I saw the chef make it this way on tv, he made a big batch and said he kept it in the fridge to use all week.

Old 06-02-2020, 07:57 AM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
I measure my rice & water. Two parts water to one part rice. Add seasoning. I dump it all in the saucepan, & bring to a boil. Once it has boiled, I turn off the heat & keep the lid on it. The water & steam will absorb into rice, making it perfect. Never need to strain, as the water is all used.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
That's how I cook my rice. Is that a revelation? How others cook their rice then? I don't drain it, though. The water is all absorbed.
Works if you have some cooking experience. All guesses are estimated, but seldom, if ever, wrong.
I also use other method:
Cover the rice with boiling, salted water, cook for a minute or two till the water is absorbed, add a spoon of butter, stir and then put the pot in bed and cover with a comforter. It will be done in 10 min or so, and fluffy every time. It's also a great method to keep it warm to serve later.
That is not what I mean. I always cooked rice until the water was absorbed too, and it came out just ok. But this way, it came out much better, with no guesswork and no worry about the proportions of rice to water. No rice stuck to the pan, and no rice reduced to a starchy glob.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:02 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
All rice is not the same, and different cooking methods are used. It isn’t as simple as pasta method or not.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I measure my rice & water. Two parts water to one part rice. Add seasoning. I dump it all in the saucepan, & bring to a boil. Once it has boiled, I turn off the heat & keep the lid on it. The water & steam will absorb into rice, making it perfect. Never need to strain, as the water is all used.
I know that’s how we traditionally make rice. I suggest you try the other way to see if you like it better.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
All rice is not the same, and different cooking methods are used. It isn’t as simple as pasta method or not.
Could be. I have only used Jasmine rice, so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes