Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 03:22 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,043,442 times

Advertisements

My autopsy will probably show arteries made of the "Stir Fry" (formerly fried rice mixed with almonds) Rice-a-Roni flavor. I've been eating it since I was a kid. But, given I have all those ingredients apart from vermicelli, I might try that sometime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2020, 08:17 PM

2,859 posts, read 1,803,509 times
Thank you Lubby; when I saw the title, the jingle 'the San Francisco treat" came to mind. Will definitely try your recipe.

Vermicelli, Mama always used this pasta instead of spaghetti, not as thick as spaghetti ?
Raised in the S.F-Bay area, you brought back a lot of memories Lubby.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:14 AM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Box mix is so easy and provides a very nice side dish. Or a main dish with some grilled chicken on top.

I have no need to reinvent a good product. Each to their own.

Old 11-20-2020, 10:12 AM

2,502 posts, read 2,070,474 times
Been making it from scratch for years.
We call it pilaf...

Old 11-21-2020, 06:31 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I recently made my own. Came out better than the boxed stuff which I had bought about a month ago because I had not had it in years. it was awful.

1 1/2 cup long grain rice ( I used Jasmine and it came out fine)
1 cup vermicelli pasta broken into short peices.
1 Tsp of onion powder
1 Tsp Garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper ( I left it out)
3 Tbsp. salted butter
1 Tsp chopped fresh parsley
4 cups chicken broth

Sauté pasta in butter for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown, add Rice and cook 1 minute more. Add seasonings and broth (heat is on medium high) bring to a simmer and turn heat to low. Cook 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed, garnish with fresh parsley. you can do beef broth instead if you want a beefy flavor or vegetable broth if you are vegetarian.

I plan to make this again. it's a keeper!
I would like to try this tonight, however I don't have vermicelli. Will it work with angel hair? Also is it a whole cup of the broken pieces or are you measuring out a certain amount and then breaking it? Otherwise there's almost as much pasta as there is rice, is that correct?

Thanks for the recipe!

Old 11-21-2020, 02:35 PM

2,502 posts, read 2,070,474 times
Yes, angel hair pasta is fine to use. I even sometimes use fideo. Or broken up egg noodles.
I will say that I dont use this recipe, so lubby may say something different.

Measure the angel hair after you've broken it up. Make sure the bottom of the pan is covered w/it.

I bring mine up to a boil, then simmer.

Sounds good.

ETA. sorry, not trying to steal your reply...just trying to help.

Old 11-23-2020, 07:10 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I would like to try this tonight, however I don't have vermicelli. Will it work with angel hair? Also is it a whole cup of the broken pieces or are you measuring out a certain amount and then breaking it? Otherwise there's almost as much pasta as there is rice, is that correct?

Thanks for the recipe!
Any thin spaghetti, angel hair, capellini just not thick pasta like linguine or fettucine.

Old 11-23-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
Yes, angel hair pasta is fine to use. I even sometimes use fideo. Or broken up egg noodles.
I will say that I dont use this recipe, so lubby may say something different.

Measure the angel hair after you've broken it up. Make sure the bottom of the pan is covered w/it.

I bring mine up to a boil, then simmer.

Sounds good.

ETA. sorry, not trying to steal your reply...just trying to help.
Much appreciated! Will be good to make it without all the sodium contained in the real product.

Old 11-23-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Any thin spaghetti, angel hair, capellini just not thick pasta like linguine or fettucine.
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes