Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 10:02 AM

130,455 posts, read 12,124,678 times

Advertisements

If you want to make a chicken bean soup, you can add raw chicken legs or whatever chicken parts you have. Leave the skin on & then take it off once cooked. Shred the meat into the soup. Lots of celery & maybe some sage too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2020, 10:08 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I started trying to make beans a staple of my diet to lose weight and save money (as opposed to eating fast food every meal), and while I've found that dried beans have a better texture than canned beans, I'm still not enjoying the bean flavor, whether dried or canned. To me, beans taste like dirt, even if I've washed them. Am I overcooking them in the crockpot, or undercooking them? Am I supposed to cook them with something?
Are you just eating them plain? No salt, no seasonings? Not in recipes that call for other veggies or meats?

Old 11-06-2020, 10:27 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,318,301 times
Improving taste of beans.

Just some cornbread please!

Old 11-06-2020, 11:19 AM

3,985 posts, read 5,017,275 times
We just made a pot of beans last week and we happened to have Accent seasoning on hand (not a usual thing lately) and we added less than half a teaspoon and holy cow, they turned out so tasty! They usually do, but they turned out better than we expected and didn't use nearly the amount of salt we would normally.

And yes, just add corn bread and I'm in heaven. Although, we did add the leftovers to a pork chop meal and that was scrumptious!

Old 11-06-2020, 11:19 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
I just made this with some dry white beans and those roasted chilis and other spices really made it spectacular:

https://www.cookingclassy.com/white-chicken-chili/

Old 11-06-2020, 11:25 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
When I make a pot of beans, they ALWAYS get seasoning of one sort or another. I prefer to put some kind of meat (I prefer ham hocks) in with the beans, and I usually add some buillion with the water.

When I make 15 bean soup, it has all the above, along with garlic powder, and some lemon juice, and a can of minced tomatoes thrown in, along with any other spices I'm feeling at the moment.

And for the record, I've always thought beans taste better the second day.

Old 11-06-2020, 11:27 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,963,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I started trying to make beans a staple of my diet to lose weight and save money (as opposed to eating fast food every meal), and while I've found that dried beans have a better texture than canned beans, I'm still not enjoying the bean flavor, whether dried or canned. To me, beans taste like dirt, even if I've washed them. Am I overcooking them in the crockpot, or undercooking them? Am I supposed to cook them with something?
If you cook them in a large spaghetti pot of water with a lid slightly offset to let out the steam, over the range, add a bit of water as needed for 5 or 6 hours on a low heat once they boil, occasionally stir them, you will get a gravy the consistency of chili. Adding a couple of ounces of diced meat, butter, and Frank's Louisiana hot sauce and onions and garlic will improve the flavor. You can dice the meat and freeze small 2 oz. quantities in plastic bags in the freezer. I once lived for 6 weeks on kidney beans, a few ounces of beef, hot sauce, and butter. Also made white rice to go with the beans and also added butter and hot sauce to the cooked rice. It was cheap, nutritious and I lost weight. I also ate my fill and was never hungry. Add a glass of cheap table wine and you will enjoy the meal even more. I have never liked the way croc pots turn food into mush.

Last edited by bobspez; 11-06-2020 at 12:43 PM..

Old 11-06-2020, 12:34 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,564,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
When I make a pot of beans, they ALWAYS get seasoning of one sort or another. I prefer to put some kind of meat (I prefer ham hocks) in with the beans, and I usually add some buillion with the water.

When I make 15 bean soup, it has all the above, along with garlic powder, and some lemon juice, and a can of minced tomatoes thrown in, along with any other spices I'm feeling at the moment.

And for the record, I've always thought beans taste better the second day.
"Bean porridge hot, bean porridge cold. Bean porridge in the pot, nine days old?" Bean dishes do taste better the next day, I think.

This thread inspired me to make a pot of split pea and ham soup this afternoon!

Old 11-06-2020, 12:49 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,318,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
We just made a pot of beans last week and we happened to have Accent seasoning on hand (not a usual thing lately) and we added less than half a teaspoon and holy cow, they turned out so tasty! They usually do, but they turned out better than we expected and didn't use nearly the amount of salt we would normally.

And yes, just add corn bread and I'm in heaven. Although, we did add the leftovers to a pork chop meal and that was scrumptious!

See what I mean jelly bean? Corn bread...and maybe a glass of buttermilk?

Just re-read the entire thread. It made me hungry...reps to all and a trip to the grocery store!

Last edited by HomeIsWhere...; 11-06-2020 at 01:49 PM..

Old 11-06-2020, 01:19 PM

130,455 posts, read 12,124,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post

See what I mean jelly bean? Corn bread...and maybe a glass of buttermilk?

Corn bread is wonderful, but OP said they are trying to loose weight, so no cornbread. Plus even yummy cornbread will not make a bowl of unseasoned bland beans taste much better. Op needs to add seasonings to the beans while they cook.

And add veg to the mix before the beans are added, see my post on page one, #9.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes