Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 07:54 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,229,238 times

Advertisements

I'm growing Lions Mane mushrooms for the first time and I've had an incredible harvest. I cut the first fruit yesterday from the block with two more still growing. The one I harvested (pictured below) weighed 18 oz.

I shredded about a third of that and tossed with olive oil and roasted in the oven with garlic, salt and pepper for about 30 minutes at 325. The texture is almost exactly like that of crab.

I then took the roasted mushroom pieces and made crab cakes using my favorite recipe and sautéed the cakes in butter and olive oil for about 12-15 minutes and served with plantains. I think a lot of people would not be able to tell the difference from crab. It was delicious.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2020, 08:03 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,607,699 times
very cool! Where do you get the starter for the mushroom?

Old 12-19-2020, 08:08 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,951,155 times
I've never heard of these type of mushrooms - they look really interesting! What do they taste like (most comparable to what other type of mushroom)?

Old 12-19-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I've never heard of these type of mushrooms - they look really interesting! What do they taste like (most comparable to what other type of mushroom)?
They have the exact texture and taste of crab. They also contain one of the few natural compounds know to promote neural growth factor. (Google it) People take supplements with this mushroom for age-related brain degeneration. I have been taking the supplement for a while and after finding out what it tasted like decided to grow some. I bought a pre-colonized bag that all I had to do was keep in a humid environment with fresh air and wait. Probably going to get several pounds off this first bag.

Old 12-19-2020, 02:37 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
Hot damn, I'll be over with a nice bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon, and melting chocolate lava cakes for dessert!

Seriously though, those mushrooms look fantastic! Your photos show a nice progression, from raw material to finished product. I think that is a remoulade you've drizzled over the "crab" cake - my mouth is watering.

How much did this adventure into mushroom-growing set you back?

Old 12-19-2020, 09:55 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
These look amazing! How can the be obtained? Or grown?

Old 12-20-2020, 03:46 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,607,699 times
I've never seen them in stores, but I've got a growing block on my Amazon wish list. My only hesitancy is that it may be too much in one harvest for me to use it all, but I guess I could cook it and then freeze for later use.

Old 12-20-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Hot damn, I'll be over with a nice bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon, and melting chocolate lava cakes for dessert!

Seriously though, those mushrooms look fantastic! Your photos show a nice progression, from raw material to finished product. I think that is a remoulade you've drizzled over the "crab" cake - my mouth is watering.

How much did this adventure into mushroom-growing set you back?
Deal on the wine and cake. I bought a pre-colonized bag for $35 delivered and it was fruiting within two days of receipt. I just put it in a plastic storage container and kept the humidity jacked up and fanned several times a day.

Someone asked about what I plan to do with the quantity. I'm drying, grinding and capsulizing all that I don't eat. I'm staggering harvest so I get to eat most of them fresh. I already buy Lions Mane capsules for brain health so now I'll just cut the middleman out and make my own.

Old 12-20-2020, 09:23 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times
Wow! I have never heard of these either. They look so interesting.

Old 12-20-2020, 09:35 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Deal on the wine and cake. I bought a pre-colonized bag for $35 delivered and it was fruiting within two days of receipt. I just put it in a plastic storage container and kept the humidity jacked up and fanned several times a day.
VERY COOL!

How did you keep the humidity jacked up?

Have you used this same method to successfully grow other varieties of mushrooms?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes