Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 03:58 AM

16,070 posts, read 21,144,062 times

Advertisements

When my daughter feels under the weather she likes a very simple clear Japanese soup.

thinly sliced mushrooms
chopped green onions
beef broth
garlic
low sodium soy sauce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 08:55 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Carrot with ginger and cream of anything.

ETA I'm sorry about the cream soup thing. I like miso soup with just about anything in it. The traditional seaweed and tofu is tasty. One winter I simmered all sorts of fresh and frozen vegetables in water then stirred in some miso paste. You can add some cooked grains like rice or barley to give it a little staying power.

I'll add that a non-broth soup doesn't have to contain dairy. Mashed potato can add a bit if heft to a soup.

Last edited by Gerania; 01-05-2021 at 09:36 PM..

Old 01-07-2021, 10:55 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Tomatoes irritate me. Am looking to try simple soup recipes for one person that are a clear soup (water, not cream) without any tomato based products (tomatoes, tomato paste, etc). I know of some bean soup recipes. Any others you’d care to share would be appreciated
The most basic of all soups Chicken Consomme or chicken soup has no tomato or cream base.

Old 01-09-2021, 09:08 PM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Tomatoes irritate me. Am looking to try simple soup recipes for one person that are a clear soup (water, not cream) without any tomato based products (tomatoes, tomato paste, etc). I know of some bean soup recipes. Any others you’d care to share would be appreciated
I always begin with a sauteed mixture of onion, celery, and carrots, no matter what type of soup I am making. Wild dried mushrooms make a hearty, but clear soup base to which you can add whatever you like.

I really like mushroom barley soup. Other non-tomato favorites of mine include lentil, potato leek, split pea, three-bean and vegetable, Quinoa vegetable, cabbage, and Asian vegetable with garlic and lemon.
Potato Leek and split pea are not exactly clear, but they are a little creamy.

NONE of the above have a tomato base.

If you are new to making soup, you can add a richer dimension to the soup by adding a good boullion base. I prefer the brand that comes in a jar to the cubed variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes