Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 08:18 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times

Advertisements

Tomatoes irritate me. Am looking to try simple soup recipes for one person that are a clear soup (water, not cream) without any tomato based products (tomatoes, tomato paste, etc). I know of some bean soup recipes. Any others you’d care to share would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 03:00 PM

130,460 posts, read 12,124,678 times
Most of my soups start with a base mix of onions, carrots, & celery. Fry these in bacon fat or oil, & then add hot water & bouillon cubes or better than bouillon paste. You can add whatever meat you like, (chicken, beef or pork) bay leaf, garlic etc, & make a soup tailored to your tastes. If you want pasta, cook it separately & add it to the serving bowl. Cheap chicken legs make a good soup. I cook them with the bones in & the skin on, & once it is cooked, you can take the meat off the bones & add it back into the soup pot.

Old 12-29-2020, 06:18 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,062,612 times
Chicken broth, I make my own but you can buy it too. Add some zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, celery, onions, shredded chicken. I freeze it that way in single portions and add noodles when I reheat if I want so they don't get mushy.

Old 12-30-2020, 04:21 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,607,699 times
Greek Lentil Spinach Lemon Soup
1/2 pound brown or large green lentils, rinsed and picked over
5 cups vegetable broth or water
1/2 jalapeño pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped
1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
1 bay leaves
1 medium Yukon Gold, russet or red potatoes (5/8 pound), scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch dice
5 ounces baby spinach, chopped
1/2 small butternut squash (1/2 pound), peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 ribs celery, with leaves, sliced
1 1/2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste
1 lemons
1/6 cup fresh lemon juice
DIRECTIONS
In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, combine the lentils, stock or water, jalapeño, coriander, cumin, oregano and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Simmer, partially covered, about 30 minutes, until the lentils are tender.

Add the potatoes, spinach and butternut squash, re-cover and cook another 15 to 20 minutes, until the potatoes and squash are tender.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion, and cook, stirring, until it starts to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the celery and garlic and cook, stirring often, until they soften, 3 minutes. Add the mixture to the soup, deglazing the skillet with a little bit of the broth from the soup, then add the deglazed contents back to the soup pot. Add the salt and pepper, taste, and add more if needed. Pick out and discard the bay leaves.

Old 12-30-2020, 04:22 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,607,699 times
Also, if you want Chinese / Asian soups, I've found that the Woks of Life blog has good recipes

https://thewoksoflife.com/?s=soup

Old 12-30-2020, 10:22 AM

19,788 posts, read 22,688,984 times
Pork udon noodle soup is a favorite of mine. It calls for simple shredded pork but I use smoked pork. Very much a broth based soup with pork, cabbage, carrots, onions, hot peppers, soup soy sauce.

Not hard to make and it's a family favorite.

Old 12-30-2020, 10:31 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,257,977 times
Mushroom barley, lentil, traditional chicken soup, butternut squash, pho, udon/ramen, escarole and white bean, Split pea.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:07 AM

1,831 posts, read 1,433,845 times
Saute diced onions, carrots and celery (and peppers, if you wish) until the onions just begin to go transparent. Add water/wine/beer and the stock of your choice.

Now go through your refrigerator and pantry. If it looks like it will taste good in a soup, cut into bite sized pieces or open the can and put it in the stock. When you have enough stuff in the stock to satisfy your eyes, let it simmer until whatever you put in there is tender. Add the seasonings of your choice about 15 minutes before serving.

It's a very rare soup that does not taste good by following this method.

Enjoy.

Old 12-30-2020, 12:26 PM

735 posts, read 453,095 times
When I feel under the weather, and want to make a quick, simple, yet healthy and tasty, I make a chicken rice soup in the InstaPot. I peel out the skin on 2 to 3 chicken thighs (with bone-in), seasoned lightly with kosher salt and pepper. Mince 1/3 of medium yellow onion, 3 cloves of garlic. Bruise lightly about 1 inch of ginger. Rinse 1/2 cup of rice (white/brown ok) real well, drained. Cut up 3 carrots, 4 stalks of celery. In Saute mode, add 1 table spoon of oil (I use avocado oil from Costco for everything), add half the minced onion and garlic, saute until fragranted, add chicken, sear each side for 2 minutes. Take the chicken thighs out. Add another 1 tablespoon of oil add the rest of minced onion and garlic, then the rice, and scrap up the bit of chicken in the oil, saute for another 5 minutes. Add the chicken thighs back in, add carrots, celery, ginger, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of thyme (dried ok), 1/2 teaspoon of parsley, add drinking water up the the max level (I used 3 qt IntaSpot; if you make a 6 qt InstaPot, double everything). Close lid. Use Broth option for 15 minutes. After the 15' is over, wait for another 20 minutes, then hit quick release if you want to eat then or leave it there for longer.

Old 12-31-2020, 06:23 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
For one - egg drop; store bought stock, an egg, maybe some shaved celery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes