Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 01:07 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

Oh hurray! I found gluten-free oyster sauce. I love that stuff.

The problem is that the only size was a half gallon of the stuff.

I use it on rice noodles or do a beef and mushroom stir fry with oyster sauce. Using maybe a Tablespoon or so of oyster sauce each time.

So, I would be very happy to hear suggestions about how you all use oyster sauce. I've got a lot of oyster sauce to use up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 03:48 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
On salmon, usually mixed with a little sriracha. Nearly any stir fry.

These recipes might get you started on emptying that BIG bottle. And when you're done with that bottle, you can order smaller bottles here on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Wok-Mei-Glute...GKJCXDP158NFBB

https://www.amazon.com/Kikkoman-Vege...y%2C159&sr=1-3

Old 02-11-2021, 04:07 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Try two of my favorite cooking blogs:

https://thewoksoflife.com/

https://hot-thai-kitchen.com/

Old 02-11-2021, 04:11 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
I only use it in stir-fry, but it's the kind of thing that lasts practically forever (even if the "expiration date" says otherwise). I'd use it at a relaxed pace.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:34 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
As long as it's refrigerated, it will last a long time. It's great when trickled over a burger patty as it's frying, especially turkey burgers which I find lack flavor without the oyster sauce.

Old 02-12-2021, 12:49 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
If you steam shumai, a drop on top is wonderful. I also have a "sauce-y" recipe for chicken wings in oyster sauce that I would make and eat once a week if I was retired (too late to post but will if asked tomorrow). Also agree with above poster that it lasts forever.

Old 02-12-2021, 12:54 AM

2,140 posts, read 361,502 times
What is gluten? Why is it bad?

I don’t like bread or pasta - but I love real potatoes. I don’t like sweet things (I don’t think I’ve eaten a doughnut in 2 decades or more). I buy ice cream and it spoils. I eat too much, it’s just not sweet or breads stuff. I don’t know if my diet is gluten free or not or why that would matter. I drink about a gallon of water a day.

Last edited by paperwing; 02-12-2021 at 01:03 AM..

Old 02-12-2021, 04:02 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,909 times
gluten is a protein found primarily in wheat flour and in some other grain flours as well. People with celiac disease cannot digest this protein as damages their intestinal tract if they eat it. People with gluten sensitivity dont' have that level of damage but have problems digesting it and have bloating, water retention, gas, etc.

As for using oyster sauce, I find that pretty much any sort of sauteed veggies with a dollop of oyster sauce stirred in at the end is a great way to use it.

Old 02-12-2021, 07:44 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I only use it in stir-fry, but it's the kind of thing that lasts practically forever (even if the "expiration date" says otherwise). I'd use it at a relaxed pace.
Funny story about shelf life that became part of our private family vocabulary:

When Chef Daughter was little I took her to a new Asian grocery in town. Think I've told you about this woman before and her harrowing trip from Vietnam to the States through a refugee camp and many dangerous exploitative situations.

We wanted to make Pad Thai and didn't know anything about fish sauce at that time. The language barrier was impossible but finally they found someone helping who knew a little English. She figured out what we wanted and held it up.

It was too big of a bottle which we tried to communicate. But she kept saying, "You buy this - you no die for a long time."

Sounded like some good luck saying and not helpful or persuasive to the Western mind but finally, being at an impasse, we bought the bottle.

It wasn't until years later that we finally figured out our new citizen was telling us not to worry about size, that the bottle had a long shelf life.

But we always laugh when we buy fish sauce and say, "Now 'you no die for a long time!'"

Old 02-12-2021, 07:47 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Funny story about shelf life that became part of our private family vocabulary:

When Chef Daughter was little I took her to a new Asian grocery in town. Think I've told you about this woman before and her harrowing trip from Vietnam to the States through a refugee camp and many dangerous exploitative situations.

We wanted to make Pad Thai and didn't know anything about fish sauce at that time. The language barrier was impossible but finally they found someone helping who knew a little English. She figured out what we wanted and held it up.

It was too big of a bottle which we tried to communicate. But she kept saying, "You buy this - you no die for a long time."

Sounded like some good luck saying and not helpful or persuasive to the Western mind but finally, being at an impasse, we bought the bottle.

it wasn't until years later that we finally figured out our new citizen was telling us not to worry about size, that the bottle had a long shelf life.

But we always laugh when we buy fish sauce and say, "Now 'you no die for a long time!'"
That's a cute story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes