Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2016, 12:09 PM

706 posts, read 758,181 times

Advertisements

And anyways, this is what I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomdove View Post
If you want low-sugar jams, you can look into Pomona pectin and the recipe books written specifically for using that type of pectin. You shouldn't reduce the amount of sugar in the Ball recipes since they are designed and tested for safety with a certain amount. However, there is a low-sugar section in the book which calls for the no-sugar-needed pectin in the jam/jelly recipes (which is different than Pomona's).
I am talking specifically about Ball recipes. All of their "canning authorities" will tell you this is correct. You shouldn't reduce the sugar in their recipes. Low-sugar recipes are designed differently, and those are the ones that should be used rather than simply reducing sugar in your favorite recipe. The ones with reduced sugar are many times cooked longer and/or they use specialty pectins. That was the whole point I was trying to make: don't simply reduce the amount of sugar in your current recipes--find new ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 10:26 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Anyone doing apples? I just came back from a visit to a friend with four big paper grocery bags full. Probably for sauce and pie filling. Hope my peeler/corer/slicer holds out!

Quote:
And anyways, this is what I said:

I am talking specifically about Ball recipes. .
Ball makes a low-sugar pectin, hon. As does Kraft/Certo/Sure-Jell. Pomona isn't the only game in town for low-sugar jams and jellies. Each of these has different instructions, recipes, and caveats. And with the Ball pectin, the instructions allow the user to determine the amount of sugar used in the recipe.

And I will emphasize again that sugar in jam does not affect the safety of the end product. Canned foods are "tested" for more than safety, FYI. Sugar does preserve the color of the fruit, but doesn't affect the safety of the jam one whit.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:16 AM

4,694 posts, read 3,473,160 times
[quote=Ohiogirl81;45921427]Anyone doing apples? I just came back from a visit to a friend with four big paper grocery bags full. Probably for sauce and pie filling. Hope my peeler/corer/slicer holds out!

I finished my last batch of apples on Tuesday. I did apple butter, lots of sauce and pie filling.
My stand peeler lost a metal pin on my first batch this fall. It still worked great. Then I lost another pin half way through this batch. It ceased working. I had to peel twenty plus pounds by hand. Boy did I realize how spoiled I had become!

I had a banner year of hot peppers. I have been freezing them all summer. I am thinking I will the last of them I will pick this week. I found this recipe I think I am going to try unless someone has a tried and true one they might share.
"Hellish" Hot Pepper Relish

Old 10-23-2016, 12:27 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Anyone doing apples? I just came back from a visit to a friend with four big paper grocery bags full. Probably for sauce and pie filling. Hope my peeler/corer/slicer holds out!

Ball makes a low-sugar pectin, hon. As does Kraft/Certo/Sure-Jell. Pomona isn't the only game in town for low-sugar jams and jellies. Each of these has different instructions, recipes, and caveats. And with the Ball pectin, the instructions allow the user to determine the amount of sugar used in the recipe.

And I will emphasize again that sugar in jam does not affect the safety of the end product. Canned foods are "tested" for more than safety, FYI. Sugar does preserve the color of the fruit, but doesn't affect the safety of the jam one whit.
You are right,sugar has absolutely nothing to do with the safety of the jam or jelly.

Now, for apples, I am skipping doing any apples this year. I have done a lot of other canning, we are leaving for vacation in just a couple of weeks and no one in the family likes canned apples, apple pie filling or apple butter. I will wait until next year I think. Enjoy your apple canning.

Old 10-23-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I had a banner year of hot peppers. I have been freezing them all summer. I am thinking I will the last of them I will pick this week. I found this recipe I think I am going to try unless someone has a tried and true one they might share.
"Hellish" Hot Pepper Relish
The recipe you linked to looked sketchy to me -- and I'm usually not someone who's rigid about tested canning recipes. The recipe makes no connection between the amount of brine and the amount of peppers used in the recipe, so I'd be wondering if I had enough brine to safely preserve the peppers. Unless I missed something.

Try one of these tested recipes instead:

National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I? Pickle

Hot Pepper Relish Recipe - Food.com

I've made both of them; they're both similar, and they're both good! You can adjust the heat by using bell peppers, as the NCHFP recipe does. You can also reduce the amount of sugar if you like. None of those adjustments will compromise the safety of the end product.

Pepperfool is a good source for peppers that uses tested recipes:

Pepperfool.com Canning / Preserving Recipes

Have fun!

Old 10-23-2016, 02:46 PM

4,694 posts, read 3,473,160 times
Thanks! I knew that recipe seemed too easy! I think I will make the food.com hot pepper relish recipe. It seems closer to what I was thinking of anyway. I wanted more of a homemade version of the Wickles brand hot relish.
Thanks bunches!

Old 10-25-2016, 10:34 AM

706 posts, read 758,181 times
Quote:
Yes, I know. That's why I wrote what I did in the last paragraph of my first comment:

Quote:
If you want low-sugar jams, you can look into Pomona pectin and the recipe books written specifically for using that type of pectin. You shouldn't reduce the amount of sugar in the Ball recipes since they are designed and tested for safety with a certain amount. However, there is a low-sugar section in the book which calls for the no-sugar-needed pectin in the jam/jelly recipes (which is different than Pomona's).
~~~

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You are right,sugar has absolutely nothing to do with the safety of the jam or jelly.
Did either of you read the post I made with links to the extension offices? I even put sentences in bold so you could see them clearly. It's not like I'm making this stuff up myself.

Yes, it's possible to make low-sugar and no-sugar jams. No, you shouldn't simply reduce the sugar in Ball's recipes or Grandma's favorite jam recipe/procedure and expect the same results. That's all I was trying to say. I was just throwing it out there as general advice--that if you want to make those jams then you need to follow recipes formulated for them. Maybe I should have been more clear the first time. ?

Old 11-13-2016, 03:42 PM

Done for the season! I made cranapple chutney and cranapple rum sauce with the last of the apples, and with cranberries I'd frozen from last fall when Aldi had them super cheap.

Looking forward to cleaning the kitchen and putting the clutter in the basement. I might make some mustards later this winter, but they'll be small batches so I won't need the whole pressure canner setup, strainers, food mills, etc. etc. etc.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:58 AM

46 posts, read 39,167 times
Default "Lost" art of home canning?

Any home canners around here? What do you can? Why canning?

Old 01-17-2017, 08:15 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
My grandmother and mother canned but I was never interested until my 40's. Now I can tomatoes, kimchi, sauerkraut, pickles, jams, and various pickled veggies. I can things that I enjoy the way I like them, which is usually spicy in the case of pickled things, less sugar for jams or fresh summer tomatoes that I roast and can so I don't have to buy during the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes