Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 07:54 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
I really, really want to try my hand at canning this summer. My grandma always used the water bath method. I'm thinking of buying a home canner.

Any suggestions? I don't want to invest a ton of money into a canner so a good, cheaper model will do for me.

//www.city-data.com/forum/14163206-post273.html
Yep that would be a great deal to buy to see if you really wanted to commit. If you are going to can low acid foods like meats, green beans, potatoes etc. you need a pressure canner. Presto or Mirror brand wouldn't be an expensive investment but they make a decent canner. I still use my old one I have.

I like pressure canners because I can water bath or pressure can in them. Can't do that with a water bath canner~~only water bath certain foods like jams, jellies, tomatoes etc.. Food our grandmothers use to water bath are considered no longer safe now days. I'd rather be safe than sorry when feeding my family.

Key thing to remember when using either canner is to have the water the same temp as the foods being canned. So if you have cold food then start out with cold water in your canners. Hot foods you want hot water in the canner.

Good luck & come back with any questions we all help each other here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 12:33 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,271,403 times
I make my Moms recipe for peach preserves. I give the jars for X-mas gifts. People always ask for more.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:21 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Danged garden. The jalapenos have late blight -- I couldn't salvage the plant or the fruit. It doesn't look like it's spread to any of the other plants.

We finally got some rain, though (some of the tomatoes have blossom end rot ... argh ...) and the one garden center still has plants; I'm going to get some more tomato and pepper plants to replace the dead/mislabeled ones.

The peaches are early this year, and I was going to can peach salsa with jalapenos. Hmph.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:27 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,165,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
//www.city-data.com/forum/14163206-post273.html
Yep that would be a great deal to buy to see if you really wanted to commit. If you are going to can low acid foods like meats, green beans, potatoes etc. you need a pressure canner. Presto or Mirror brand wouldn't be an expensive investment but they make a decent canner. I still use my old one I have.

I like pressure canners because I can water bath or pressure can in them. Can't do that with a water bath canner~~only water bath certain foods like jams, jellies, tomatoes etc.. Food our grandmothers use to water bath are considered no longer safe now days. I'd rather be safe than sorry when feeding my family.

Key thing to remember when using either canner is to have the water the same temp as the foods being canned. So if you have cold food then start out with cold water in your canners. Hot foods you want hot water in the canner.

Good luck & come back with any questions we all help each other here.
MoMo never canned meats. She did can certain fruits and veggies. Most were grown by her or by some she trusted. I'm canning from a market that buys fresh/local and the farmers market. I put/froze a lot from those sources last year so I trust them.

Yes, I do have tons of questions. I WILL be back when I get the equipment!

Old 07-10-2010, 09:53 PM

3 posts, read 105,930 times
I grow most everthing in my garden and I love to cann tomatoes and relish, salsa, chili sauce, green tomatoes for frying in the winter, and green beans
the ball canning book is what I started with, now if I need a canning recipe
I just google it. If you like relish there are many different kinds to make
and really easy. I went from 30+ years in corp america to a farm and I love
it.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:08 PM

3 posts, read 105,930 times
Just found this site, thanks so much for alot of info, about canning. I have
been canning for two yrs. and really enjoy it. Have canned alot of relishes
salsa, kosher pickles, green tomatoes and pickled grean beans. Does anyone
have any squash recipes to cann?

Old 07-11-2010, 12:32 AM

Welcomegardengooru glad you found us. There is a gardening section on CD also you might like to see.

Ohiogirl81 sorry about the blight and blossom rot that is so frustrating isn't it? Hope you can replant to get some bounty.

Sillypups lucky people receiving those peach preserve gifts.

Well my 2010 garden canning has started last night my first 14 quarts of green beans are pinging away on the counter top.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:35 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Pinging is good!

Old 07-12-2010, 06:04 PM

859 posts, read 2,149,109 times
lol @ pinging, I must confess I watched the counter maybe couple of times waiting for the aproval PING.

I have my FIRST red tomato .... AY its a slooooooooowwww start lol

everything here is behind but hoping for a good crop.

Hey jaxson how you cann you green beans ?

Old 07-14-2010, 11:24 PM

Yes pinging should makes us all happy!

Just canned another 5 quart of green beans last night.

Jasmin I raw pack my green beans, put a teaspoon of salt in each quart jar then cover them with hot water to the 1" mark. I did a test a few years ago with blanching them, putting them in cold water to stop the cooking process then filling the jars and raw packing them. We couldn't tell the difference so I just snap those beans, wash them off a couple of times then put into the jars. They have a little 'bite' left in them when I raw pack them not as soft in texture like the blanched ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes