Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2010, 10:48 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
A buck a bucket! Man they never go that low here if they did it might be worth not planting just waiting on the mark downs.
When the market drops to where the cost of harvest exceeds the selling price the farmers open the fields to U-Pick. Doesn't happen every year. I don't wish the farmer any bad luck but I will help him salvage some money it the opportunity arises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 02:36 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
When the market drops to where the cost of harvest exceeds the selling price the farmers open the fields to U-Pick. Doesn't happen every year. I don't wish the farmer any bad luck but I will help him salvage some money it the opportunity arises.
Interesting up here they have machines that goes through the fields and it harvests all the tomatoes at once. It pulls the plant up also then off to the canning factories. Well the plant gets mulched up then goes into a different part of the machine than the tomatoes do. They sort the rotten, red and green tomatoes at the factory though.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:53 AM

859 posts, read 2,148,893 times
cool thanks jaxson .....

I feel like canning today not sure what to make ..lol

Old 10-21-2010, 07:39 AM

Gezzzzzzz Guess what ! I thought I had enough Tomatos canned NOT ! So yesterday i bought some $ 5.00 a big box.... not the best but for the stewing I do they will work fine

Cant believe I did this ...I could have sworn I had at least 12 Quarts !

Old 10-21-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
Gezzzzzzz Guess what ! I thought I had enough Tomatos canned NOT ! So yesterday i bought some $ 5.00 a big box.... not the best but for the stewing I do they will work fine

Cant believe I did this ...I could have sworn I had at least 12 Quarts !
12 quarts????? I put up 62 quarts this year & hope it lasts me until next canning season.

We don't get those decent quantity buys like other places do. Nomad told me about buying some tomatoes cheaply straight out of the fields that are leftover down by him in FL. I told him for those great prices I'd give up growing my own just use their to can with if it was near me maybe!

Old 10-22-2010, 06:31 AM

$ 5.00 a box here is a good Price it gave me 14 Quarts .. so I am happy
I do add pepper and Onion in mine too and puree it so its ready to go

OMG 62 ! we do not eat that much Tomato, we only use it for Chilli & goulash.... you guys must really like it lol
I did have reg Tomato sauce for like Spaghetti and anything who doesnt need Pepper and Onion in it, but I wanted to have the one with Onion and Pepper for easy a easy fix.

I only have 3 People here now, Hubby and oldest Son only come Home every 6-7 Weeks for 9 Days so its plenty for us

HOWEVER I could have made another 24 peaches but our Peaches were gone real fast , so I only got enough for barely a Year

You know I wont even do Tomatos next year for canning its just not worth it .... they get blight and never have enough for canning ... so I will have enough for eating and buy the rest from the local Farmers.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:38 PM

Oh I cook for not only us 2-3 but for shut ins, neighbors and funeral dinners when needed. But we do use a lot of tomato products for chili, goulash, spaghetti, macaroni & tomatoes, casseroles, salsa, fajitas, tomato soup and veggie soup off the top of my head.

I don't can tomato juice anymore so I open a quart of tomatoes then whirl them up in my blender for juice when needed.

The past 3 years we haven't gotten the yields I am use to for my canning on any of my garden stuff. I buy my corn to put up just no luck with growing it here. I'll still put out green beans & tomatoes if I don't get anything else planted yearly. My garden has been cut way down as the family at home decreases. When DS was still home I was constantly feeding all his buddies too but DD's girlfriends don't eat like the boys did.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:43 PM

Yup I make Puree with onoion and Peppers for Chilli,goulash, anything like that.....then I make just reg Puree for thickining something. And I make Salsa itself, and have plenty of that lol

I dont make Tomato juice ewwwwwww same with veggie Soup,,,,,

Yup my middle son dont even eat anything with Tomatoes so its not much needed.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:02 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I'm just getting into a bit of canning. When making jams, has anyone substituted honey for sugar?

In the directions that come with the jelly jars it says not to use honey. I wonder why. Does sugar somehow affect the way the pectin works?

I'm trying to cut down on sugar, and 3 cups of sugar is way too much. Isn't it just a matter of taste how much sugar you use? Could you eliminate it entirely?

Conversion charts are pretty clear on how much honey equals a cup of sugar, so what would be the problem?
If you really want to cut down on the sugar needed for your jams, substitue minute tapioca for your pectin. I don't remember ratios, as I made up my own recipe years ago, because I felt awful feeding my kids so much sugar. It made beautiful, wonderful tasting jam, but you only need to "add sugar to taste". The minute tapioca does not alter the taste, does not add tartness that you have to tone down with the sugar, and the tapioca is not reliant on the sugar in order to "jell".

Old 11-22-2010, 09:56 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
All right ...

Who makes apple butter? And how long does it take you?

Just curious. I jarred up 9 pints of apple butter over the weekend. I made the applesauce the night before. From the time I set the applesauce over the stove to cook down into butter, to the time I ladled it into the first jar, was NINE HOURS. (yes, I am shouting!! LOL)

I thought I was going to go insane.

And then my mom -- who will scream bloody murder if I don't bring her a jar or two -- says "You know you can buy that stuff in the store, don't you?" Argh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes