Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2008, 06:54 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I canned 18 pints of ham and froze up 17 qts of strawberries that will be yummy for winter yesterday. My butcher is going to call me when he gets some good beef in that will be on sale of course so I can put up some canned beef. I really think meat prices are going to rise like crazy after the election so trying to prepare ahead as best I can.
Jaxson, what kind of canning method do you use for meats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 03:06 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Jaxson, what kind of canning method do you use for meats?
I do pressure canning on all meats.

Chicken:
~~highly recommend to spray the inside of the jars with something like Pam before filling. This prevents the meat from sticking to the glass as it begins to process. Much easier to clean your jars later, pop on the funnel, then give the inside of the jar a shot of oil just before filling each one.
~~I raw pack my chicken in hot sterile jars and fill to the head space with hot boiling water. Whole, chunks or diced your call, I usually do chunks. About 2 whole chicken breasts will fill a pint jar or about a pound of chicken.
~~be sure to wash the rims thoroughly at least twice after you fill the jars with meat. I even use alcohol as a final swipe before putting lids on. ~~cap & seal then put them in the canner. Process for recommended times with your altitude.

Pork or Beef:
~~I cut excess fat from the meat. I raw pack chunks of pork or beef too. Fill with boiling water or broth to head space. Seal and cap following canning directions.
~~I sometimes will put green peppers, onions, a little wine or broth in some jars for specific recipes.
~~I wait until I open a jar to really season the meat when putting into recipes. I don't like to use a lot of salt because processed meats you buy from the store already has been injected with a saline solution usually.

Ham:
~~My fav to can meat! I dice up the leftover ham, cover with boiling water, cap and seal and process.

~~Be sure to wipe the outside of all jars with hot soapy water when they cool the next day before putting away in your cabinets. Recheck the seals making sure none have popped up, if so then that jar(s) needs used immediately or put in fridge. Label and date on the lid with a sharpie. I remove the bands from all my canning jars when I store the food. Canning labels are pretty but a pain to get off and all the gum left behind from them.

Ball Blue book & the Internet have good meat recipes but I tend to can my meats "naked" so I can use them for different recipes and dishes. I can pop open a jar of chicken and make chicken salad, use it in casseroles, quesadilla, put it in lettuce salads, add bbq, throw it in noodles and broth. It is a breeze making meals when you have the meat already cooked, canned and on the shelf! I do can up beef stew, veggie soup with meat in it, etc. just process for the length of time it takes meat to process even if your meat is already cooked or browned before putting it in the jars.

Roasting or boiling down meat bones makes awesome broth so you could can that up as well. Way better than any store bought broth.

HTH.

Last edited by Jaxson; 06-12-2008 at 03:15 PM..

Old 06-12-2008, 05:35 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,683 times
I have never canned meat, is there an advantage to packing with hot water rather than hot broth?

Old 06-12-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
I have never canned meat, is there an advantage to packing with hot water rather than hot broth?
I like to use my meat and broth in separate recipes is the only reason I use boiling hot water to cover the meat.

I do rinse my meats off when I pop a jar open if I have used water instead of broth. Some people think the chicken smells like tuna when they open a jar but I don't have that myself. But last week when I had DD open a jar she said it smelled like tuna but tasted like chicken. I know other canners that say when they use broth they don't have that smell.

Canning meats makes it very tender too. We just had scalloped potatoes with ham for supper that was a piece of cake to make with the canned ham.

Some canners can up sausage patties and bacon too but I have found both of those are to time consuming to have the benefit of shelf life. Plus you have to use parchment paper when putting raw bacon in the jars and it has a high failure rate if all the grease is not washed off before processing. I put raw bacon on a big baking sheet and throw it in the oven much easier than pan frying and less mess than canning it. Hamburger "crumbles" canned up makes supper right quick because it is already browned. Can you say help for the hamburger in less than 15 minutes almost the time it takes to make a veggie or salad?

Old 06-13-2008, 07:45 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I only can tomatoes and homemade salsa. And apple butter.

Every year, though I try to make something different: one year it was ketchup, last year barbecue sauce. Every time I make jelly it doesn't jell. A few years ago I made a green tomato chutney that was incredibly delicious! I may try that again this fall.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:56 AM

859 posts, read 2,149,109 times
I was going to try the Meat but I dont have a Pressure cooker, i do all mine the old fashiond way

Old 06-16-2008, 10:46 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Here is my Garlic Dill Pickle Recipe (One of my kids named it - $100 Bill Dills, LOL)

Makes 6-7 quarts

1- head dill in each jar
2 to 4 garlic cloves in each jar

Pack cukes in jars w/ dill and garlic

Mix: 1 qt. vinegar to 3 qts. water and 1 cup salt. Boil. Pour over cukes.

Process: 10 min in water bath

Hope you all enjoy this simple recipe as much as my family and friends have!

Last edited by brokensky; 06-16-2008 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-16-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Here is my Garlic Dill Pickle Recipe (One of my kids named it - $100 Bill Dills, LOL)

Makes 6-7 quarts

1- head dill in each jar
2 to 4 garlic cloves in each jar

Pack cukes in jars w/ dill and garlic

Mix: 1 qt. vinegar to 3 qts. water and 1 cup salt. Boil. Pour over cukes.

Process: 10 min in water bath

Hope you all enjoy this simple recipe as much as my family and friends have!
Thank you anifani821 for sharing I copied it into my canning files. I know a person in Texas that has already started making their pickles from the cucumbers out of their garden. Our garden is a lot further away from picking yet.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:55 AM

859 posts, read 2,149,109 times
Thanks for the recipe will try this also......

Old 07-20-2008, 10:59 PM

Was blessed with a sackful of local early apples so hearing pings from the jars on the cabinet from this.

Amish Canned Pie Filling

28 cups of peeled and slice apples put in bowl and set aside. May use Fruit Fresh to keep from turning brown following instructions on jar.

MIX

4 1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup Clear jel
2 t cinnamon
1 t salt
10 cup water

Drain the apples well. Mix ingredients well and cook until thick and bubbly in a large dutch oven type pan.
Remove from heat and add 3 T lemon juice and the apples mix well,
pour into sterile jars leaving 1/2"-1" head space. Be sure to remove the air bubbles and wipe seals before capping.

Process 20 mins hot water bath or adjust to your altitude.

Makes 9 qts
1 qt will fill a 9" pie crust.

Note: The friend that gave me these apples didn't know what type they were but they were tart. They didn't hold their apple shape as well as other types of apples but I bet my pie eaters will never notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes