Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 01:53 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,183,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
My canning is done ,, I didnt really have too much time this year..really miss it.

should have done more
Canning is never done here! Maybe garden bounty canning but I can all year long like when I get a good price on chicken, beef or pork. Can up leftover ham cut into cubes. Can dried beans that are cheaper once you have all your supplies than store bought. Broths, soups something is always going in my canner all year long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 02:26 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,574,375 times
Coming to the caner soon. This was taken today. We need maybe two more weeks and in the caner they go. It is much nicer caning it the cool of fall than when tomatoes come in during the late spring and the temps are in the high 80's.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:59 PM

Rub it in rub it in. Nomad the only thing stopping me from whopping you upside your head is I know FL tomatoes don't taste near as good as Hoosier ones do! BTDT. Seriously though my family thinks I am nuts when I tell them in the winter I just got the taste of a fresh tomato in my mouth. I eat them everyday in the summer guess my mouth stores up the juice like squirrels do nuts maybe.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Rub it in rub it in. Nomad the only thing stopping me from whopping you upside your head is I know FL tomatoes don't taste near as good as Hoosier ones do! BTDT. Seriously though my family thinks I am nuts when I tell them in the winter I just got the taste of a fresh tomato in my mouth. I eat them everyday in the summer guess my mouth stores up the juice like squirrels do nuts maybe.
Yup they do not taste as good as those raised from GA north. However they sure beat store bought this time of year when we pick 'em red off the vine. The ones you will get will be picked green and sent your way. Sorry bout that but that's the way it is. I posted the field picks over in a photo thread about November in your state. Have the zucchini pics there too.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:05 PM

Once my garden mators are gone they are gone in any recipe that calls for fresh tomatoes until next year. I won't buy hot house or green picked shipped in mators no way. I have plenty tomato products canned up so my cooking doesn't take a nose dive over the winter. When I hear our first frost is coming I pull up my plants and hang them upside down from the rafters in the garage where they finish ripening even if they are brick hard and green. An elderly neighbor lady told me to wrap them in newspaper then store in a box inside the house in a cool room. But I like the rafter hanging ones better less work too.

We had our first snow fall today and I still have petunias flowering in crock pots on the front porch! They always say times are a changin' but this wacky weather we have had the past few years worries me more than the times.

In the fields they stake up each plant??????

Old 11-17-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:

In the fields they stake up each plant??????
No there is a stake for every three plants. Plastic twine that will not rot is used between the stakes to support the plants. This system works much better than staking every plant. I used this same system when I would plant up to 1500 or so plants in MO back in the 70's. I miss those canning days. We caned so much back then. If all works out maybe again one day. I may have to hire help with the tiller now but at least I may can supervise and provide the knowledge for the crops to can.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:10 PM

1,500 plants! Did you have a farmer's market???? I about went nuts the year we put out 100 plants here. We use rebar fencing bent in a circle about 5' tall for each plant and they grow up and over it still. Works better than stakes or running wire lines for us though. The best year was when the ex set 4x4's at the end of each row & every 3-4 fit then stapled cattle wire fencing to "incase" the plants about 4-5" apart. They got plenty of sunshine and didn't have to bend or hunt to pick them. Kids didn't mind picking tomatoes that year. We are out in the open so need something that won't blow over easily.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
1,500 plants! Did you have a farmer's market???? I about went nuts the year we put out 100 plants here. We use rebar fencing bent in a circle about 5' tall for each plant and they grow up and over it still. Works better than stakes or running wire lines for us though. The best year was when the ex set 4x4's at the end of each row & every 3-4 fit then stapled cattle wire fencing to "incase" the plants about 4-5" apart. They got plenty of sunshine and didn't have to bend or hunt to pick them. Kids didn't mind picking tomatoes that year. We are out in the open so need something that won't blow over easily.
We trained up plants over head high and like you say made for easy picking. I prune for maximum fruit size. I sold retail and wholesale back then. When Pizza hut came out with the taco pizza they bought select tomatoes at the local that would go through their cuber without mashing. Several local mom and pop grocers bought from me also. Growing and caning tomatoes is something I look forward to. We should be in full swing caning by Thanksgiving and run for a couple of weeks baring an early freeze.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:34 PM

Use to love that taco pizza ours doesn't carry it any longer. I love canning tomatoes too after slipping the skins it is a breeze. Thinking about buying a SS steam juicer to make juice easier but looking at downsizing within a couple of years so don't know. I will still can as long as I am able even if we move from the farm I will always have a garden hopefully. Even one of those patio container kind in the nursing home if my kids lie to me and send me there.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:19 PM

859 posts, read 2,148,382 times
I dont cann Meat..... And our Garden been done for a while now

BUT If I find a good deal on veggies & fruits I will still cann a bit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes