Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 07:13 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,712,128 times

Advertisements

I'm not in the mood for stuffed peppers, chili, meatloaf, meatballs, spaghetti, tacos or enchiladas.
Anyone got anything else? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 07:29 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Brown & add cream of mushroom soup over rice or pasta. Cream of celery will work too. I'm thinking here that you are also tired of the obvious hamburger?

Old 07-22-2008, 07:33 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Hamburger Helper j/k

Old 07-22-2008, 08:51 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
Shepherd's Pie

Brown up some ground beef and drain off any grease and water that cooks out. Add a minced onion and a minced clove of garlic, cook until they start to sweat. Splash in a bit of Worcestershire sauce. Add some frozen peas, cover, and steam until the peas are hot.

At this point, you can either go the fast-n-easy way and add a can of cream of mushroom soup, or you can make up a roux and use that to make a cream sauce. Either way, once you get a nice mix of G-B, onion/garlic, peas and sauce, dump that in a wide shallow casserole dish. Top with spoonsful of left-over mashed potatoes. Bake at 350 until the G-B mixture starts to bubble up between the piles of mashed potatoes, about 20-30 minutes.

Sorry not to be more precise with the measurements; that's one of our classic "by dump and by dash" dishes, and it's very forgiving of variances in the proportions of the ingredients.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 07-22-2008 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-22-2008, 08:57 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times
Grilled Cajun Burgers

Season burger with Cajun Seasoning. Top with sauteed Green Pepper and Onion and your choice of cheese. (I like Monterey Jack Cheese).. and your choice of bread... (I like a little mayo on mine)

Great with Corn on the Cob!

Last edited by World Citizen; 07-22-2008 at 09:39 PM..

Old 07-23-2008, 12:30 AM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,868 times
1 lb ground beef
2 boxes mac 'n cheese
1 small can tomato paste
1 medium can mexicorn

Brown the beef and drain the grease
Cook the mac 'n cheese as usual

Combine the beef and mac n' cheese. Mix thoroughly.
Add the tomato paste and mexi-corn. Mix thoroughly.

Get a baking pan (clear glass if you have one) big enough to fit the mixture, spray with Pam (or whatever). Spread the mixture in the pan and level it out. Put your oven to around 350 or so. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes (until the edges just start to turn crisp). Season to taste.

(one bag frozen corn and a couple of diced peppers of your choice may be used as a substitute for canned mexicorn.)

Old 07-23-2008, 04:51 AM

424 posts, read 1,676,214 times
Default Easy Beef Casserole

Don't scoff at this because it is a casserole. It is almost like one of the plethora of creations that came out in the casserole heyday of the 50's and 60's. Actually I first saw it published on one of the inserts with a bill from Atlanta Gas Light Company. It is pretty easy and quick and satisfies the comfort food need in me at times.

Beef 570 (Beef Casserole 070 - Easy Beef Casserole - Atlanta Gas Light Company)

1½ pounds lean ground beef
½ cup milk
1 cup chopped onion
¼ cup ketchup
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon salt
1 (10¾-ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/3 cup sliced green olives (optional)

1. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the beef and onion; drain.
2. Combine cream cheese, soup, milk, ketchup, and salt; blend until smooth.
3. Combine ground beef, cream cheese mixture and olives.
4. Turn into shallow 2-quart baking dish. Bake in 375°F oven for 30 minutes.
5. Serve alone or over rice or noodles.

VARIATIONS: Add chopped/sliced black olives and/or mushrooms.

Yields 6 servings

Old 07-23-2008, 05:33 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,683 times
Hobo stew

Form ground beef in patties and place each on a separate sheet of aluminum foil. Add diced carrots, potatoes, rutabaga, celery, and onion, in amounts to taste. Season with salt and pepper and a touch of Mrs. Dash. Fold the foil up to form sealed packets and place over hot coals in grill or campfire. Turn halfway through cooking, total cooking time 20 to 30 minutes depending on the heat.

When I make this, I usually start with about 2 lbs of ground beef which I divide into eight patties. Depending on the size of the vegetables, I generally allow one carrot, and one potato per packet. For eight servings I allow one small rutabaga or half a large one. It doesn't take much, but as the rutabaga roasts it sweetens and brings out the low notes in the flavor. I usually use two stalks of celery and one to two onions depending on size and distribute evenly among the eight packets.

While you've got the grill going cook up some corn on the cob, top the whole meal off with strawberry shortcake and ice tea or fresh lemonade. Hmmm...... guess I've talked myself into this for dinner tonight. Oh, wait, that's another thread!

Old 07-23-2008, 06:49 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
Gound beef, taco seasoning, black beans, corn, rice, tomatoes, onions, pappers, all fried up in a pan- stuffed into a rolled tortilla (burrito style) with cheese and baked- the tortilla gets all crispy and contains all that tex/mex goodness

Old 07-23-2008, 02:04 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,712,128 times
Thanks yall. no, I'm not opposed to burgers. I don't always like the over full feeling I get when I eat ground beef, but when I can get it cheaper on clearance than ground turkey, I may as well use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes