Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 06:17 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,765,301 times

Advertisements

OK...I've dipped in egg and bread crumbs...egg and flour...but I've seen on cooking shows where they are dipping chicken in a batter....
Anyone have a recipe for this batter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 06:19 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,867,628 times
Oh I can't wait to see the responses for this... mine always comes out mushy... not really crispy... but I bake w/o skin and don't fry... does that make a difference?

Old 09-16-2008, 08:07 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Oh I can't wait to see the responses for this... mine always comes out mushy... not really crispy... but I bake w/o skin and don't fry... does that make a difference?
Oh yeah, big time. It's a totally different method of heat transfer. With frying you've got direct contact, and the heat transfer medium is a liquid, so it's almost like having a pan that conforms to every nook and cranny of the food. Ovens just do a so-so job of crispy.

On topic - there's a commercial product called Drake's Crispy Frymix. I got it at Gordon Food Service. It's what you're looking for.

Ingredients are just flour, salt, corn meal, whey, spices, coloring and sodium bicarb, so you could make your own, but beyond the ingredients I don't know the ratios. Surprised to see there's more salt than cornmeal because the stuff looks like cornmeal. Come to think of it, it is rather salty.

The directions say to mix 1 cup of dry mix with 3/4 cup cool water, but that always seems pasty to me so I make it a bit wetter. If you try making your own, substitute milk for water unless you've got powdered whey.

And for goodness sake, soak the chicken in buttermilk overnight.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:59 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,949,050 times
I'll start this by admitting this isn't batter, but a dry coating for frying. So, if you are looking specifically for batter recipe, sorry.

It's hard to cook for my wife and three kids. I don't think they all can agree upon but about 4 dishes they all like.

But my wings are one of them, and I think it's the coating on it. This isn't a batter, but a coating that you may want to try on a whim. I don't know how I came up with this, but I don't use the egg and bread crumbs. I use about 8 tbsp flour, 2 tspn onion salt, 2 tspn garlic powder, 1/4 tspn pepper.

I just coat the chicken and fry. It's after it's cooked that I put it in the mixture of KC Barbeque sauce and honey mixture. But my mother in law can't eat the sweetness, so I give some to her before I toss in the barbeque/honey mixture. She swears its the best she's had (and for a mother in law, I'll take that compliment!!!)

Old 09-17-2008, 10:35 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,710,189 times
OH OH OH OH!!!! I was JUST going to post this!!! I made one the other night that had us all arguing (literally) over who got what. Just realize that the batter gets a little darker b/c it's pancake batter (well, I didn't have Bisquick, so I used pancake mix - same thing almost). It's THE most delicious batter I've ever had. As you can see by the comment I left, I used boneless skinless chicken thighs and Heineken. YUM! Also, I used garlic salt, paprika (for color), season all, parsley and pepper. I know, I sound like a commercial, but damn, this is delicious. I'm going to make some next week again.

Beer Batter Fried Chicken Recipe | Recipezaar

Old 09-17-2008, 05:28 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,765,301 times
Yes...definitely looking for batter...saw Paul Dean or someone cooking with it.

As far as frying....if you get that oil good and hot, you should still have most of your oil in the end. Alton Brown fried fish and frnch fries one time, showing how much oil he put in and how much he had left. He was missing about 2 tablespoons....and that is not 'per person' serving, it is the whole batch. So....FRY AWAY!!!!!

KFC definitely seems like it has some batter.

Thanks Nicole for your batter recipe...and to everyone else for their responses. Keep the batter coming!

Old 09-18-2008, 10:25 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,520,819 times
For a whole chicken,

Five eggs, 1cup of whole milk, Fresh ground black pepper
Onion powder, Garlic powder, Beat together until well mixed.

Clean and pat dry the chicken lightly sprinkle chicken with salt
shake in flour dip in egg wash and put into deep fryer.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:55 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
For a whole chicken,

Five eggs, 1cup of whole milk, Fresh ground black pepper
Onion powder, Garlic powder, Beat together until well mixed.

Clean and pat dry the chicken lightly sprinkle chicken with salt
shake in flour dip in egg wash and put into deep fryer.

I hate knocking something I haven't tried, but that sounds more like scrambled eggs or an omlette than batter, and I'm having a hard time imagining what that would look like. No flour or cornmeal at all?

Old 09-18-2008, 07:22 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,710,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post

I hate knocking something I haven't tried, but that sounds more like scrambled eggs or an omlette than batter, and I'm having a hard time imagining what that would look like. No flour or cornmeal at all?
I think maybe in that recipe, the chicken should be either:

1 - dipped into the flour, then egg, then flour
OR
2 - dipped in egg, then flour

then fried

Old 09-18-2008, 11:03 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,520,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post

Just try one piece

It puffs up and away from the meat and is thin so you don't
get filled up on the batter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes