Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 10:32 PM

469 posts, read 1,155,400 times

Advertisements

I personally don't care for Luzianne. I use Tetely's Iced Tea blend and won't use any other.

Ok this is how I make tea.

Get your saucepan and fill it a little past the half way point. Get three family size Tetley tea bags (probably about 6-7 regular sized ones) and add it to water. Keep a close eye on it and right before it starts a boil (let it start to boil but not a rapid boil) turn off heat (make sure the tea has a nice dark look to it.)

You will need two gallon tea pitchers. Fill one of them with 2 to 2 1/2 cups of sugar (remember this is making two gallons of tea) and add the tea minus the tea bags to the sugar mixture. Stir until sugar is melted. Add enough ice to it to make it well chilled and ice is melted (or mostly melted.) Split evenly between the two tea pitchers and add water to both til it's near the top. Stir until blended. Refrigerate (it gets better the longer it in the fridge and the colder it gets...it taste pretty good right after it's finished too.) Enjoy!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightMadness View Post
Alot of people mentioned Luzianne tea. What makes this tea special? What if you can't get this brand - can you substitute another brand? Which one? Thanx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 10:15 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,872,345 times
Lightbulb You missed the important item?

Everyone has their favorite teas and that’s ok because everyone has a different taste for what’s best. The one thing that you miss when you’re telling about how to make it etc. is you forget about the “water”. Some areas of the country just don’t have good tap water, and you may have to use bottled water from the store if the water is bad in your city. On the other hand there are some areas of the country that have excellent flavored city water.

Start with good water and you’ll have good tea. Simple!

Old 04-25-2007, 01:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
It is 4 in the morning when im reading this lol I think im getting the caffine in my system just from these recipes lol. I need to go make some tea then I definitely will not sleep . Great Post everyone esp the good southern tea ones.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:13 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,795,362 times
WalMart carries a Iced Tea Maker for like 20.00
It's great, makes 3 quarts and it is so easy to use. Best investment I have made (ok, well maybe not the BEST.. but its nice)

Old 04-25-2007, 10:00 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,872,345 times
I don’t and won’t shop at WalMart ~ what is the brand name of the Iced Tea Maker?

Old 04-25-2007, 10:10 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,795,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I don’t and won’t shop at WalMart ~ what is the brand name of the Iced Tea Maker?
Mr Coffee

They sell it at Lowe's too.. but its more expensive.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:40 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,616 times
Luzianne is best for ice tea in my opinion. It's made for ice tea brewing.

How many tea bags and steeping for how long depends on your taste.

Sweet tea is something to get used to. Personally I think southern sweet tea has about twice as much sugar as anyone should be having all at once but thats just me.

I agree it's best to put the sugar in while it's warm and then chill it till ice cold that way it doesn't get watery when you put the ice in.

I have an ice tea pot and it basicly incorporates the above. You can set it to brew a certain strength and you put the sugar in with the bags so it dissolves while it's steeping.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:35 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,167,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Me, either! And you can pick up one (or seven) of those Iced Tea Makers at the local thrift store. Why is there a supurfluence of this item at the Goodwill & Habitat?

Old 04-30-2007, 01:44 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,416,504 times
Does anybody use a combination of saccharine and sugar to sweeten their ice tea? My mom started doing this to cut back on calories. All saccharine - yeck - but both seemed to work well. We would drink iced tea once or twice a week...I know folks who drink ONLY tea ALL the time...too much!

Old 05-05-2007, 08:05 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,184,736 times
Quote:
Why is there a supurfluence of this item at the Goodwill & Habitat?
To most Southerner's using those are a sacrilege!!!! LOL. Using boiling water and pouring it yourself adds to the flavor Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes