Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 10:15 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times

Advertisements

Any recipes that use (mass quantities of) apple sauce? I have two big jars and need to use them up. Maybe a loaf/cake? Any other ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 11:14 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,964,089 times
Any cake you make, you can substitute apple sauce 1 to 1 for oil. Might be a bit too apple-y in plain white cake, but I've done it in chocolate, carrot, and banana bread.

I've found it makes it even more gooey and delicious. Spiced Walnut Carrot Cake with Pineapple Gale Gand recipe <-- this is my absolute favorite carrot cake. I substitute all apple sauce for the oil, and sometimes pecans for the walnuts. If you toss in about a cup of crushed bran flakes (or like me, the dregs from the bottom of the bag), you can make some seriously dense, stick to your ribs morning muffins. It's so well flavored, you really only need a bit of whipped cream or a drizzle of cream cheese frosting.

You can also sloooow cook it down and use it as a basis for BBQ sauce, sustituting equal amounts of cooked down apple sauce (maybe reduce by half? till it's nice and syrupy) for the brown sugar. Applesauce is used in korean BBQ sauces a lot too, without cooking it down.

I used to also toss it together with my cornstarch and sliced apples for apple crisp. It makes it more like a cooked pudding.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:35 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,995 times
I always keep applesauce on hand to use in place of fats. I use it 1 to 1 parts in some things and 100% in others. I love how moist it makes things come out.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:30 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
I haven't tried this but it came from another board and looks good.

APPLESAUCE FRENCH TOAST
INGREDIENTS:
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons white sugar
1/4 cup applesauce
6 slices bread

DIRECTIONS:
1) In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, milk, cinnamon, sugar and applesauce; mix well.
2) Soak bread one slice at a time until saturated with liquid.
3) Cook on a lightly greased skillet or griddle over medium/high heat until lightly browned on both sides.

Serve hot with maple syrup.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:35 AM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
You could cook it down into apple butter if you like apple butter.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:52 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,816,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
Any cake you make, you can substitute apple sauce 1 to 1 for oil. Might be a bit too apple-y in plain white cake, but I've done it in chocolate, carrot, and banana bread.

I've found it makes it even more gooey and delicious. Spiced Walnut Carrot Cake with Pineapple Gale Gand recipe <-- this is my absolute favorite carrot cake. I substitute all apple sauce for the oil, and sometimes pecans for the walnuts. If you toss in about a cup of crushed bran flakes (or like me, the dregs from the bottom of the bag), you can make some seriously dense, stick to your ribs morning muffins. It's so well flavored, you really only need a bit of whipped cream or a drizzle of cream cheese frosting.

You can also sloooow cook it down and use it as a basis for BBQ sauce, sustituting equal amounts of cooked down apple sauce (maybe reduce by half? till it's nice and syrupy) for the brown sugar. Applesauce is used in korean BBQ sauces a lot too, without cooking it down.

I used to also toss it together with my cornstarch and sliced apples for apple crisp. It makes it more like a cooked pudding.
That carrot cake recipe just went on my "have to make soon list"! It looks like it would be divine!

I also subsitute fats in recipes with applesauce. It turns out great, and you can eat your dessert with less guilt

Old 06-17-2009, 06:51 AM

788 posts, read 1,742,218 times
Applesauce meatloaf calls for 1-2 cups.....i know it isn't a mass quantity but it is really good. Google the recipes - there are several to choose from.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:26 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
I've had applesauce cake before, that's not too bad.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:35 PM

66 posts, read 321,219 times
Here are some recipes that I've tried and liked using applesauce.

I don't know if you have a bread machine but this one is good.(sorry..it doesn't take a whole lot of applesauce)

OATMEAL APPLESAUCE BREAD

2/3 cup warm water
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 tablespoon dry milk powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup applesauce
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast

DIRECTIONS
Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select cycle; press Start.

APPLESAUCE BREAD(from taste of home)

Ingredients:
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1-1/4 cups applesauce
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Directions:
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the egg and applesauce; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cloves. Stir into creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in raisins and nuts.
Pour into a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 1 loaf.

Here is one more recipe that is not bread. The applesauce is basically a side for pork chops.

BRADY BUNCH STYLE PORK CHOPS WITH APPLESAUCE

2 cups milk
3 teaspoons salt
8 pork chops (1/2 inch thick with or without bone, 2 lb total)
3 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary (or 1/2 tsp dried, crumbled)
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp dried, crumbled)
2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2-3 tablespoons unsalted butter

Directions

Stir together milk and 2 teaspoons salt in shallow 3-quart dish, then add pork chops. Marinate, covered and chilled, turning over once, at least 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
Stir together bread crumbs, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and remaining teaspoon salt in a shallow bowl.
Lift pork chops from milk 1 at a time, letting excess drip off, and dredge in bread crumbs, lightly patting crumbs to help adhere, then transfer to a tray, arranging in 1 layer.
Heat 2 Tbsp oil and 2 Tbsp butter in 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides then saute pork chops in 2 to 3 batches, without crowding, turning over once, until golden brown and just cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes per batch. Transfer as cooked to a platter and keep warm in oven. (Add more oil and butter to skillet as needed).
Serve pork chops with applesauce that has been warmed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes