Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:56 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
OK, Totally, you may owe me on this one. My mom gave me her first cookbook - GH dated 1942, 1943. Here's the recipe from the "Cookie Press Cookies" section:

Peanut Butter Cookies I
Wow, powdered (confectioners) sugar, that is something I never saw before in the dough part of a cookie recipe! I'm going to try that one just to see how it turns out!!

It's weird you mentioned that Cookie Press Cookies had their own section because when I wrote my OP I was going to say that I thought there was a specific section for those but since I wasn't entirely sure about that, I decided not to mention it. Thanks for verifying that my memory still does work fairly well after all these years!

I notice that it's 'Peanut Butter Cookies I' .... was there also a 'II' in that same section? Just curious because of the designation and how the 'II' version, if there is one, differs.

Thanks so much to all who tried to help, I really do appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 05:06 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,265,595 times
Totally, I did check on PB Cookies II, but they weren't spritz cookies, so I didn't mention them. They did some rather good. Let us know how they turn out. Oh, if you want the recipe for II, I'll be glad to send it.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,766 times
Does anyone know how many pages are in this old 1940s cook book? I have an OLD COOK BOOK it starts on page 93 and ends on 938 but no where in the book does it tell the name of the book I would like to find another one in better condition for my mom

Old 09-18-2010, 07:01 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
I love to buy older cookbooks at estate sales. I especially enjoy the ones that have hand-written notes in them. My current favorites are The New Orleans Restaurant Cookbook by Deirdre Stanforth (1967), Winterthur's Culinary Collection (a charity paperback published in 1983), and a 1971 version of Joy of Cooking that someone from Pittsburgh, PA, wrote helpful notes in. I thank her (?) every time I use it, even though I have no ideas who she was.

I also have my mother's 1962 Better Homes and Gardens ring-binder book. She's still with us, but she doesn't cook any more, so I hijacked it. It's stuffed full of yellowed magazine tear-outs, too. No peanut butter spritz recipe there. But she has the word "GOOD" written in huge letters beside this
cookie recipe:

Ginger Cookies

1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup molasses
2 Tbsp. vinegar
5 cups sifted AP flour
1.5 tsp. soda
0.5 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. cloves

Cream shortening and sugar. Add egg, molasses, and vinegar; beat well. Sift dry ingredients; stir in.
Chill three hours.

Roll thin on lightly floured surface. Cut into shapes. Place one inch apart on a greased cookie sheet. If desired, sprinkle with sugar [time for the fancy sugar from King Arthur!]. Bake at 375 degrees for 5-6 minutes. Cool slightly. Remove from cookie sheet. Cool on rack. Makes 8 dozen medium cookies.

[My mother is an artist -- she probably liked the "cut into shapes" part.]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes